• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hsbc / hfc bank sar frustration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hsbc / hfc bank sar frustration

Well I today received another letter from HSBC requesting a certified copy of my Passport details re my SAR ???? What is it with this lot, what else can I send them ?

I have previously sent them signed passport, driving license details, old address's, utility bill, loan account agreement and a copy of an old Midland bank account statement.

Is it time to report them to the ICO for failure to comply to my numerous original requests ? Will I also be entitled to reclaim any redress for inconvenience caused ?

Anyone else experienced the same but had resolved eventually ? I have been requesting details for months now but I just keep receiving a similar or same rejection reply.

Any advice what to do next would be appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Tags: None

Re: Hsbc / hfc bank sar frustration

Sorry can anyone help ?

Is it a requirement to send a Certified signed passport or full UK Photo Driving License ? Surely they are not asking for the original ?

Where does it state this in the Data Protection Act ?

Cheers

Bazza

Comment

HI Bazza,

The DPA 1998 allows a Data Controller to seek to ensure that they have the correct data subject before supplying the data.
      This may be done really by any means, some DCs ask for similar documents others a recent utility bill etc.
      Dis you sign the SAR.

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
        HI Bazza,

The DPA 1998 allows a Data Controller to seek to ensure that they have the correct data subject before supplying the data.
        This may be done really by any means, some DCs ask for similar documents others a recent utility bill etc.
        Dis you sign the SAR.
        Hi Nem,

Yes I did but put a line through it for obvious reasons.

I also sent them copies of my passport and driving license.

Copies of old Midland Account Statements (two showing loan payments to HFC)

And old address details.

I just find it strange that other banks have never requested this requirement.

Comment

A lot will depend on the age of the account and if there has been regular contact both ways.

nem

Comment

A lot will depend on the age of the account and if there has been regular contact both ways.

nem
            Cheers Nem

It's quite an old loan account.

If I sent a current CTAX bill and perhaps a utility bill, do you think they would be accepted ?

I believe to have certified details, there are costs involved ?

Comment

Should be OK Bazza!

Depends who is certifying I believe there is a list of " notable persons " who's certification is acceptable.

Clergy, Doctors, solicitors, a postmaster, bank officer etc.

How old is it Bazza

Date started?
              Date Defaulted?
              Date last payment.

Comment

Should be OK Bazza!

Depends who is certifying I believe there is a list of " notable persons " who's certification is acceptable.

Clergy, Doctors, solicitors, a postmaster, bank officer etc.

How old is it Bazza

Date started?
                Date Defaulted?
                Date last payment.
                OK Cheers again Nem

It's very old but I have one agreement detail when opened in 1985 over 3 years (single premium up-front added) forced to take it out by salesperson in local branch for loan to be successful. Young lad at time as needed money for my first car. My dad remembers being with me and how pushy the HFC salesperson was.

This has been advised as closed by HSBC.

Now here's the issue, I came across another loan account number on a letter / correspondence and what I can ascertain is that the premium seems to have increased ???? I cannot remember if it defaulted but according to one of my Midland Bank statements the last payment showing was in June 1988 ?

This has been confirmed by some old statements with monthly payment amounts to HFC.

Hence the submission of SAR in which HSBC first responded that account was closed but require further evidence before search for records.

I know this is old and perhaps there maybe nothing but something tells me that they are withholding something.

Comment

If it's more than 6 years from when the account was closed the data may have been destroyed.
                  HFC certainly had a reputation for hard selling and even irresponsible lending.
                  If you've got the evidence of payments for insurance it's definitely worth a punt!!
                  nem.

Comment

and how do I go about getting something certified ?

They mention a post master / sub-post master - What would I need to do to have them do it ?

Comment

It's the "magic" rubber stamp job take document to be certified and proof of ID to PO and ask for the Post Master.

So a copy of passport page together with the passport, same with driving licence.
                      I believe they can charge a fee.

Comment

If it's more than 6 years from when the account was closed the data may have been destroyed.
                        HFC certainly had a reputation for hard selling and even irresponsible lending.
                        If you've got the evidence of payments for insurance it's definitely worth a punt!!
                        nem.
                        It's something I do remember after all these years but the rest regarding the loan is a bit vague.

The only evidence I have apart from HFC / Hamilton Insurance Policy details are the Midland Statements with proof of some payments to HFC.

Therefore should I bother paying for what they have requested in order to see if they are holding any details ?

Comment

The choice is yours Bazza if you think it's worth it.

nem

Comment

It's the "magic" rubber stamp job take document to be certified and proof of ID to PO and ask for the Post Master.

So a copy of passport page together with the passport, same with driving licence.
                            I believe they can charge a fee.
                            Ok cheers Nem, will do it tomorrow.

Yes someone posted on another site that it will be about £7.

It's just that when they confirmed the previous account was closed and then when I quoted the other loan, they requested further evidence. It maybe nothing but nothing ventured nothing gained.

Thanks

Comment

The choice is yours Bazza if you think it's worth it.

nem
                              Sorry just seen this and thanks again for your comments.

Well I will give it ago anyway, Nem.

You mentioned earlier what date if it was defaulted ? I am sure it was all paid up but surely I would have remembered being chased for it, but something tells me that my dad paid it off

Mind you when I asked him, he wasn't 100% sure about that lol but he was about the hard selling of insurance.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X