• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

My late fathers will and life insurance..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My late fathers will and life insurance..

I need some advice about something that's been playing on my mind for a while..
    My father died suddenly 7 years ago.he remarried a year before he died to a woman that myself and my brother did not get along with.she forbid us from going to her house and the relationship was very strained.
    Heart attacks run on my dads side of the family and I knew that my father always had that at the back of his mind.
    A few days after he died,myself and my brother went to see his wife and I asked whether there was a will.she replied that there was but left it at that... Myself and my brother knew that he also had quite a large life insurance policy.A few weeks after the funeral,we asked to see the will but his wife replied that there wasn't one..she then forbade us any access to his possessions and stopped all contact.we tried reaching out to her for months but eventually gave up after being ignored.I can't believe that my father would not leave a will or allocate any of his life insurance to myself or my brother but never looked into it because we were grieving and it was never about the money for me..I wrote to enquire whether there was a will and was contacted and told that one was not found.is there anything I can do???if there was no legal will signed by a solicitor would all of his assets and life insurance go directly to her as she would be the next of kin??
    Tags: None

Re: My late fathers will and life insurance..

This might be relevant: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/e...ates-will.html

This means that, as things currently stand, you do not have a valid will and so your estate will be dealt with under the rules of intestacy. This states that, depending on the size of your estate, your spouse will receive up to £250,000, with the rest split between your spouse in trust and any children you have.

I also believe that Life Insurance Policies normally have named beneficiaries - but others more knowledgeable will clarify.

Comment

If your father died intestate, there will (ought to) be a record of the disposal of his estate.
      You can search the records for a grant of administration here: https://www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inh...robate-records
      If there ever was a will, but it was destroyed or revoked, you will have great difficulty proving it.

If there was no will and the estate was valued at more than £250,000, the partner would have inherited

• all the personal property and belongings of your father, and
      • the first £250,000 of the estate, and
      • half of the remaining estate

Comment

RE life policies you're basically correct MissFM.
        If the policy is "written in trust" the money does not form part of the estate but goes directly to the beneficiary named in the trust deed.
        However not all policies are so written.
        When I was involved in the business I reckon less than half were so written which is absolute madness!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X