Thread: EXAMPLE Witness Statement

• Display

Site Owner

Mentions
    1843 Post(s)

Default EXAMPLE Witness Statement

A witness statement will be a very different document for virtually every claim as it is a personal statement of what has happened and when. It isn't for the legal arguments.

This is a very brief example to get you started off.

If you have a hearing coming up then a witness statement should be submitted to the court ( and a copy sent to the other party) at least 14 days before the hearing.

Part 32 of the Civil Procedures Rules contain guidance on preparing witness statements.

Layout wise this is a basic outline of what it should look like.

A witness statement should start by explaining who is making the witness statement and what their involvement is with the case.

eg: I, FRED SMITH of 40 AnyTown Road, AnyTown, AnyCounty SW1 1AA, being the Defendant in this case will state as follows;

It should then detail what the witness statement is for.

eg: 1. I make this Witness Statement in support of my defence in this claim which is due to be heard on 20th September 2012 at Gotham County Court.

You should then state that you are talking from your own actual experience and knowledge and not just hearsay.

eg: 2. The matters set out below are within my own knowledge, except where I indicate to the contrary.

Then you can jump into the case.. this will depend on what the case is but there's a short example below. If you have a look through the forum you will find many, many examples of other people's witness statements which will help give you an idea what to write.

Here's some examples on other peoples threads -
    http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...781#post470781
    http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...282#post498282
    http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...7&d=1243797830 ( WORD DOC DOWNLOAD )
    http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...995#post229995
    http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...679#post191679
    http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...398#post173398

IN THE XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX COUNTY COURT

Claim No. XXXXXXXX

BETWEEN:
    XXXXXXXXXX
    Claimant
    - and –
    Defendant
    XXXXXXXXXX

WITNESS STATEMENT OF xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I XXXXXXXXXX of XXXXXXXXXX address XXXXXXXXXX being the Defendant in this case will state as follows;

1. I make this Witness Statement in support of my defence in this claim. The matters set out below are within my own knowledge, except where I indicate to the contrary.

2. On XXXXXXXXXX 2014 I made a written request to the Claimant solicitors, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx of xxxxxx address xxxxxxxxxxxx requesting that the Claimant provides copies of all documents mentioned in the statement of case.[EXHIBIT A]

3. On XXXXXXXXXX , I contacted the Claimants xxxxxxxxxxxxx

4: On xxxxxxxxxxx I received a letter [EXHIBIT B] from the Claimants stating xxxxxxxxxxxxx

5:

6:

7: Therefore I believe the claimant xxxxxxxxxxxx

Statement of Truth

I, XXXXXX, the Defendant, believe the facts stated within this Witness Statement to be true.

Signed: ________________________________

Dated:
    IN THE XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX COUNTY COURT

Claim No. XXXXXXXX

BETWEEN:
    XXXXXXXXXX
    Claimant
    - and –
    Defendant
    XXXXXXXXXX

WITNESS STATEMENT OF xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I XXXXXXXXXX of XXXXXXXXXX address XXXXXXXXXX being the Defendant in this case will state as follows;

1. I make this Witness Statement in support of the application for an order that the judgment in this case (Claim No. XXXXXXXXXXX Judgment dated XXXXX) be set aside.

2: CPR 13.3 states (1) In any other case, the court may set aside or vary a judgment entered under Part 12 if –
    (a) the defendant has a real prospect of successfully defending the claim; or

(b) it appears to the court that there is some other good reason why –
    (i) the judgment should be set aside or varied; or
    (ii) the defendant should be allowed to defend the claim.

3. I learnt of the existence of this claim on the XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX when I received a letter from the Claimant requesting payment of the judgment forthwith [EXHIBIT A]

4. My address changed in XXXXXXXXXXXXX and a redirection service was in place from XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX to XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX / I informed the Creditor that I had moved house in writing/telephone on XXXXXXXXXXXXXX. // I was admitted to hospital on XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX until XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX and had no knowledge of the claim until XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX // I was out of the country on business //

5. xxxxxxxxxxxxx further information about why you did not defend/acknowledge originally

6: On XXXXXXXXXX 2014 I made a written/telephone request to the Claimant solicitors inviting them to consent to set aside the judgment due to the reasons in paragraph 4.

7. The Claimant did not respond to my request / turned down my request.

8. I therefore ask that the Court sets aside the judgment in this claim and allows 14 days for me to submit my defence.

Statement of Truth

I, XXXXXX, the Defendant, believe the facts stated within this Witness Statement to be true.

Signed: ________________________________
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails witness-statement.gif  
    Last edited by Amethyst; 10th February 2016 at 13:36:PM.
    “We may not win by protesting, but if we don’t protest we will lose. If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.” Hetty Bower

Any advice I provide is given without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Find Solicitors offering fixed fees on our sister site - JustBeagle.com

VIP Member

Mentions
    1632 Post(s)

Default Re: EXAMPLE Witness Statement

Now that's a great template!!
    The Advice I Give and Draft Letters Provided Are Drawn From Personal Experience and Career Training And Are Given Freely And Without Liability.
    Please make your own decisions with care and if necessary seek qualified legal advice.
    I will not advise by Private Message. If Specific Advice is Needed please Tag me in your post by typing @Nemesis45 . If you receive messages from anyone offering advice for a fee please report it to the site team. Animo et Fide.

Site Owner

Mentions
    1843 Post(s)

Default Re: EXAMPLE Witness Statement

Cheers nemesis xx Just adding some links to other peoples past Witness Statements to help people see examples.
    “We may not win by protesting, but if we don’t protest we will lose. If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.” Hetty Bower

Any advice I provide is given without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Find Solicitors offering fixed fees on our sister site - JustBeagle.com