• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

No contract of employment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No contract of employment

I started working for my current company 29th september this year. I did not receive an offer letter or contract of employment. The company is not very good and im working 60+ on a weekly basis due to being understaffed. Which is not on really. I have been offered a fantastic job offer for a large reputable company which i have accepted. How much notice do i have to give my present employer?
    Tags: None

Re: No contract of employment

1 week, I believe is the answer. Don't forget to ask for your holiday pay ! 1 weeks wages approx without doing a full calculation.

Comment

Yep 1 week notice is the minimum required when you have worked 1 year or less. It is then 1 week for every year up to 12 weeks maximum - The company may well try and tell you otherwise i.e. that your contracted to give 1 months notice - But as you have no written contract then you have no such contractual term and are only required to work 1 weeks notice.

If they are funny about it. Point out to them that not only are they in breach of the section 1 of the employment rights act 1996 for failing to provide you with a written statement of particulars (written contract) but they are also in breach of the working time regulations for making you work more than the maximum 48hrs per week, without a signed opt out from you!
      Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Originally posted by teaboy2 View Post
        Yep 1 week notice is the minimum required when you have worked 1 year or less. It is then 1 week for every year up to 12 weeks maximum - The company may well try and tell you otherwise i.e. that your contracted to give 1 months notice - But as you have no written contract then you have no such contractual term and are only required to work 1 weeks notice.

If they are funny about it. Point out to them that not only are they in breach of the section 1 of the employment rights act 1996 for failing to provide you with a written statement of particulars (written contract) but they are also in breach of the working time regulations for making you work more than the maximum 48hrs per week, without a signed opt out from you!
        Thankyou i have jusy emailed it over to my manager and will give her a paper copy tomorow also i have given one week as of tomorow. Amd have clearly states that due to not having a contract or terms and conditions of employment i will be leaving next friday.

Comment

Originally posted by lauralouise660 View Post
          Thankyou i have jusy emailed it over to my manager and will give her a paper copy tomorow also i have given one week as of tomorow. Amd have clearly states that due to not having a contract or terms and conditions of employment i will be leaving next friday.
          Ok let us know what if any response you get!
          Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

Comment

One week is the minimum time period some companies demand's 15 days notice before resigning from your position.

Comment

Originally posted by ailegalcounsel View Post
              One week is the minimum time period some companies demand's 15 days notice before resigning from your position.
              True, and they can demand all they like. But if they have not given the Employee a written contract then the employee entitled to only give 1 weeks notice for every year they have worked there up to 12 weeks maximum i believe! So 1 week if you have been their a year, 2 weeks if 2 years and 12 weeks if 12 years!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X