• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Apparent CCJ from BW Legal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparent CCJ from BW Legal

Hi everyone. I was directed here from the Money Saving Expert forums, as they felt I might have more luck posting my issue here. I'm going to copy and paste what I had posted over there as I believe it includes all the required information.

New guy here, needing some advice and I hope I've posted in the correct area!

This is a long and complicated situation, so please bear with me and if I've left off any important information, do ask! I need to get the best advice possible in this situation.

My fiancee had a loan with Lloyds TSB many, many years ago (I think she said it was 2004) with her husband at the time. Now, and this is the important part, my fiancee has mental and physical health problems which mean she is incapable of managing her finances. Her ex-husband was her carer at the time, which meant he dealt with all finances, so when they took the loan out and the bank said she needed to sign it, she did... because he told her it needed to be done.

Fast forward to 2007 and they broke up. They took the loan out to pay off a previous loan (and get a better interest rate) and pay off a couple of credit cards. The bank started chasing them to say the ORIGINAL loan had not been paid off, even though they had all the receipts saying it had. They both went to the CAB and were advised to ignore it if the bank simply aren't helping, since it would be "written off" (apparently those are the actual words used) in 6 years.

So they did.

2008, my fiancee's ex-husband moved out. Her mother contacted the bank they had the loan with to inform them he'd moved out and since he was in charge of finances, they needed to contact him. A forwarding address was provided. The bank wrote back to insist my fiancee needed to pay the debt, and her mother wrote back AGAIN to tell them she had mental health problems, the debt was her ex-husbands and they needed to talk to him, AGAIN giving them his forwarding address.

Their response? To go after my fiancee directly. She's been ignoring the letter since.

2012 was the last time she heard anything about either debt, the old loan that is supposed to be paid off AND the new one. Her ex-husband was opening his own business, so took all the information we had (I moved in with her in 2009 and have been keeping everything to this point) and said he'd deal with it. Since we didn't have any more letters arriving, we figured he'd make good on his word.

This morning (20th December, 2014), we received a letter from BW Legal in my fiancee's old name (she changed her surname after the divorce was granted) stating they have entered a CCJ against her, and the court has ordered her to pay £180 per month starting in January.

Now, from the small amount of research I've done, it would seem this process has been done ENTIRELY incorrectly. Firstly, they need to apply and send us a letter stating they've applied so we can challenge it. We have received no such letter. Secondly, I believe my fiancee would have to turn up in court for a CCJ to be applied? She's had no court dates turn up, and thus hasn't been. Thirdly, I believe they cannot enforce a CCJ against her as she counts as a vulnerable person (Mental and Physical health disabilities, which is the reason I'm her carer and she cannot be trusted with financial metters) and is on both Income Support and DLA due to her inability to work. Finally, it has been 6 years EASILY since she contacted the bank or it's representatives about the debt, which I believe matters in this instance?

Obviously this letter has impacted her mental health seriously and it's taken me all day to calm her down so I can actually leave her alone for the few minutes necessary to write this post.

So... how do we proceed from here? As mentioned, I did a little research regarding the CCJ process before posting here, and it seems like everything has been done wrong. Obviously, I don't want to risk directly contacting the company as that would acknowledge the debt and thus reset the 6 year counter, but we clearly need to do something.

Cheers for any advice!
    Tags: None

Re: Apparent CCJ from BW Legal

Firstly can we see the letter from BW? You can either upload it here or e-mail it to admin@legalbeagles.info putting your user name as the subject or simply type out the text. Remove any personal information.

Comment

Typing it up. Formatting will be off but the content is correct.

16 December 2014
      NOTICE OF COUNTY COURT JUDGEMENT
      Dear Madam

Our Client: Lowell Portfolio Ltd
      Original Creditor: Lloyds TSB Bank PLC
      Balance Due: £7003.77
      Original Account Number: <I'll leave this off>

As you are aware, we represent Lowell Portfolio 1 Ltd. On 04 December 2014 a County Court Judgement ("CCJ") was entered against you because you did not reply to the Claim Form.

Court has ordered you to pay the balance due as follows:

Installment Amount: £180.00
      Frequency: Monthly
      First Payment Date: 03 January 2015

What You Need To Do Now.

Please call us on 0113 323 1784 and one of our helpful agents can set up your payment arrangement for you.

We can accept payment by a variety of methods which are specified overleaf. Diret Debit and recurring card payment are the most popular choices as you only need to tell us your preferred date for payment and the payment will be taken automatically each month so you do not have to worry about it.

The CCJ will be recorded on your credit file for 6 years unless you pay the full Judgement debt of £7003.77 in full by 04 January 2015. A CCJ on your credit file may affect your ability to obtain future credit such as mortgages, loans, credit cards and other services.

It is important for you to note that if you do not make payment on or before 03 January 2015 our client may consider further enforcement action.

The letter is then signed Yours faithfully as per standard for a letter.

Comment

Making a new reply so I don't clutter the important information.

1) We never received any kind of claim form.
        2) This letter is for the loan that was paid off, which Lloyds still think HASN'T been (and was paid off approx 2004 from what I can get out of my fiancee).
        3) We're on benefits (Carer's Allowance and Income Support for me, Income Support and Disability Living Allowance: High Rate Care, Low Rate Mobility for my fiancee), so there's no WAY we can pay what they're asking for.

This letter is literally the first we've heard about a CCJ in any fashion.

Comment

They're obviously saying that they have got a judgment by default.

Don't worry. I think that there's a good chance of you being able to get the judgment set aside on the basis that you didn't receive the claim and, by the sounds of it, notification that the debt had been assigned from Lloyds to Lowells.

I'll flag this up to someone to look at, hopefully later this morning.

In the meantime can you confirm that this is the first communication that you've had from Lowells/BW Legal?

Also does your partner live at the same address as she did when she last had communication from Lloyds? It would be helpful if you could post up the last letters to and from Lloyds.

Comment

We don't have the letters from Lloyds. As the original post states, her ex-husband took ALL of the paperwork we had as he wanted to get the issue dealt with due to opening his own business.

I can confirm we've had no letters of any kind since he picked up all of the information (which was 2012 if memory serves correctly), and this is the first letter we've had from BW Legal since that time. I cannot confirm it's the first communication we've had from Lowells though, but it is the first we've heard in 2 years.

My partner does live at the same address as she did since the last communication from Lloyds.

Comment

Ok, you/she needs to call the local county court tomorrow and try and get a copy of the CCJ. It might not be that easy if she's changed her surname assuming that the CCJ is in her married name. I assume there was no claim number on the letter from BW?

Comment

Yep, letter is in her married name, and there's no claim number on the letter unfortunately.

And I'll have to be the one to do it, but I'm not sure if they'll talk to me and I know she isn't in a good enough mental state to talk to them herself.

Comment

Apparently I can search the register online for a cost of £4. Is that worth doing since the letter implies it's been registered?

Comment

If it gives you the claim number and what court it was at it might be worth doing.

Comment

The site claims, if they have a record, then it will give court name, case number, date, amount and status.

Comment

Can you give us a link? Is it Trust? http://www.trustonline.org.uk/unders...d-the-register

Comment

Yep, it was Trust.

Didn't give me much information, but it DID confirm that a CCJ was applied for and apparently granted on 4th December, 2014... at a court in Northamptonshire! That's a good 2 and a half hours away from where we live (liverpool).

Comment

It would be dealt there by default if the claim wasn't acknowledged and transferred to your local court https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/no...sked-questions

Comment

Ah, fair enough. As mentioned, we didn't receive any letters, forms or ANYTHING to even try and dispute it. If we had done, I would've been asking for advice about that.

How do we proceed from here? Especially considering her ex-husband was also on the loan, doesn't appear to have been harassed AND we supplied contact details in the past?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X