• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Santander - When is a Policy not a Policy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santander - When is a Policy not a Policy?

I found out a couple of days ago that Santander have a policy of only refunding bank charges as a 'gesture of goodwill' once during the lifetime of an account. They mentioned this after an exchange of online messages when they referred to a previous refund made to me in January 2012.
    I asked an obvious question - where can I find details of this policy? However, I am told there isn't anything in writing about this - it is an internal 'policy' that allows them to decide on a 'case by case basis' (i.e. make things up as they go along).
    In the end I got a refund because their online message in 2012 didn't say that I wouldn't get any more refunds, although I now know that I definitely won't be getting any more!
    Tags: None

Re: Santander - When is a Policy not a Policy?

It is an internal policy used on case by case basis which is reasonable I think.

Comment

Originally posted by supermac9 View Post
      I found out a couple of days ago that Santander have a policy of only refunding bank charges as a 'gesture of goodwill' once during the lifetime of an account. They mentioned this after an exchange of online messages when they referred to a previous refund made to me in January 2012.
      I asked an obvious question - where can I find details of this policy? However, I am told there isn't anything in writing about this - it is an internal 'policy' that allows them to decide on a 'case by case basis' (i.e. make things up as they go along).
      In the end I got a refund because their online message in 2012 didn't say that I wouldn't get any more refunds, although I now know that I definitely won't be getting any more!

It is standard across all banks however, there are circumstances in which that may change ie financial hardship. It has been a policy of many banks for many years so it's not a new policy but it is a discretionary one where if you make a mistake the bank will look at the whole of the account history and refund as it is expected to be merely a one off refund.
      "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
      (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

I'm not convinced that Santander have had this policy in place for a long time, as I have had numerous refunds over the years.

Comment

It is perfectly reasonable though for each case to be considered on its own merits.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X