• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Buchanan, Clark and Wells advice needed.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buchanan, Clark and Wells advice needed.

Hi all,
    Last week my estranged husband and I received separate letters from Buchanan, Clark and Wells asking us to contact them regarding a private matter and had found our address from credit reference agency. I sent his back "not at this address" unopened as he no longer lives here but opened mine. The letter seemed to be about an address we lived at in spain almost 8 years ago. I have looked into who this company is and am aware they are a debt collecting agency so have not contacted them. However, what concerns me is that we did not and do not have any unpaid debt from address in spain or this address. I would send for a credit reference report but if this alleged debt is from more than 6 years ago it won't be there anyway. My concerns are that this may effect our ability to get credit now or in future and/or that maybe our identities may have been stolen and old spanish address used.
    They have sent a further two letters in the space of a week which I have opened my third one. It says that it is a debt owed to Barclays bank for £263, does not state what for or date it is owed from. I have had loans from Barclays in the past but have paid them off in full and I'm pretty certain they were only in my name and if they have spanish address, the loan is actually from more then 10 years ago (never took out loan with them when in spain)!! I have banked with Barclays for more than 20 years and still do! They did have my spanish address, but obviously when we moved back to UK, we immediately changed our address. My ex husband still has an account with Barclays and a Barclaycard with no balance on it, but he often receives letters offering him special rates for money and balance transfers.
    I have never received anything from Barclays saying I owe them money from anything either at this address or in spain. I am really confused and concerned by this whole issue.
    As I have continued to bank with Barclays for all this time and they have always had my correct address and name (incidentally the BCW letters are in my maiden name) why would they not have contacted me themselves first if I did somehow owe them money. Why have BCW needed to get my address from credit reference agency when Barclays have my correct address? Also, I have continued to be able to obtain credit from Barclays without any issues.
    We did have a Woolwich mortgage prior to our current mortgage which was settled in full about 8.5 years ago. Unfortunately I think I threw out all documentation relating to this recently as it was over 6 years old and settled in full. Again, we've never received any documentation from Woolwich either in Spain or UK stating anything different.
    Should I call Barclays to find out why I am receiving these letters and what this debt is from?
    Please can anyone advise as I am concerned and unsure what to do other than NOT contact BCW.
    I need advice as to what I should do next, will this effect my credit, can you be chased for a debt you were never aware of from more than 6 years ago and would it be worth getting credit report just to make sure our identities haven't been stolen.
    Please note we have both had credit in the form of loans, credit card, mobile phone etc since coming back to UK and never, ever had an issue. I have also sent for my credit report before and it has always been fine even the ones that did include time at spanish address.
    Any advice given will be gratefully received.
    Thank you.
    Tags: None

Re: Buchanan, Clark and Wells advice needed.

Welcome to LB
    Originally posted by twistedsister View Post
    Hi all,
    Last week my estranged husband and I received separate letters from Buchanan, Clark and Wells asking us to contact them regarding a private matter and had found our address from credit reference agency. I sent his back "not at this address" unopened as he no longer lives here but opened mine. The letter seemed to be about an address we lived at in spain almost 8 years ago. I have looked into who this company is and am aware they are a debt collecting agency so have not contacted them. However, what concerns me is that we did not and do not have any unpaid debt from address in spain or this address. I would send for a credit reference report but if this alleged debt is from more than 6 years ago it won't be there anyway. My concerns are that this may effect our ability to get credit now or in future and/or that maybe our identities may have been stolen and old spanish address used.
    Are they chasing you for an alleged debt from Spain or the UK?
    Limitation periods in Spain are rather complicated, depending on what the debt was for.

They have sent a further two letters in the space of a week which I have opened my third one. It says that it is a debt owed to Barclays bank for £263, does not state what for or date it is owed from. I have had loans from Barclays in the past but have paid them off in full and I'm pretty certain they were only in my name and if they have spanish address, the loan is actually from more then 10 years ago (never took out loan with them when in spain)!! I have banked with Barclays for more than 20 years and still do! They did have my spanish address, but obviously when we moved back to UK, we immediately changed our address. My ex husband still has an account with Barclays and a Barclaycard with no balance on it, but he often receives letters offering him special rates for money and balance transfers.
    I have never received anything from Barclays saying I owe them money from anything either at this address or in spain. I am really confused and concerned by this whole issue.
    As I have continued to bank with Barclays for all this time and they have always had my correct address and name (incidentally the BCW letters are in my maiden name) why would they not have contacted me themselves first if I did somehow owe them money. Why have BCW needed to get my address from credit reference agency when Barclays have my correct address? Also, I have continued to be able to obtain credit from Barclays without any issues.
    We did have a Woolwich mortgage prior to our current mortgage which was settled in full about 8.5 years ago. Unfortunately I think I threw out all documentation relating to this recently as it was over 6 years old and settled in full. Again, we've never received any documentation from Woolwich either in Spain or UK stating anything different.
    Should I call Barclays to find out why I am receiving these letters and what this debt is from?
    No, they probably won't even know since they are not the ones writing to you. You could just send a prove-it letter such as the one found here: http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...171#post440171

Please can anyone advise as I am concerned and unsure what to do other than NOT contact BCW.
    I need advice as to what I should do next, will this effect my credit, can you be chased for a debt you were never aware of from more than 6 years ago and would it be worth getting credit report just to make sure our identities haven't been stolen.
    Definitely worth getting your credit report just to make sure nothing's there. Even if the debts were yours, any defaults recorded should have dropped of after 6 years, and, unless any payments were made, they'd also be statute barred if they were defaulted more than 6 years ago. :thumb:

Comment

Are they chasing you for an alleged debt from Spain or the UK?

No we never had any debt in Spain.

Although I'd thrown all documentation out regarding Woolwich mortgage, I have found a letter from Solicitor involved in arranging current mortgage and settling Woolwich mortgage, stating that Woolwich had confirmed that the settlement figure they had given was correct and had been settled in full.

Definitely worth getting your credit report just to make sure nothing's there. Even if the debts were yours, any defaults recorded should have dropped of after 6 years, and, unless any payments were made, they'd also be statute barred if they were defaulted more than 6 years ago. :thumb:

I viewed my credit report this morning through Experian free trial. My credit score is 999 and excellent, there is absolutely nothing negative on there.

I am considering sending them a prove it letter and disputing the alleged debt but also wonder whether I should just ignore and they'll go away or are they likely to send someone to my home?

Thank you very much for your reply, I am most grateful.

Comment

Just want to double check, if they are chasing me for cash related to a mortgage is the satute barred period still 6 years? I checked the limitation act yesterday and thought it said 12 years fro a mortgage, but I may have misunderstood.
        Thanks again

Comment

Hi twistted sister,
          Thats correct it is 12 years for mortgage before its time barred

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X