• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

First Credit found my mobile number

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Credit found my mobile number

I am just wondering how First Credit found out my mobile number?

It's not a big deal as calls from certain numbers can be easily blocked.

On the other hand, I'm looking forward to winding them up when they ring. I will waste as much time as possible with them without answering their security questions. Then I will start asking them personal questions i.e. full name, date of birth, mother's maiden name, religion, sexual orientation and, of course, whether they enjoy their job at First Credit!,
    Tags: None

Re: First Credit found my mobile number

If its a non contract phone, then its likely they got it as a result of purchasing info from online applications, even social media site if your privacy settings are set to public.

If its contract then they probably got it from the phone company - Seem a lot are selling their customers phone numbers and data!
    Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

I'd give them one warning to cease and desist. If they don't stop, you can have them done over misuse of the Telecommunications Act and also for Harassment. I would not entertain this. HBOS put me through misery ten years ago with 3-4 phone calls every night and if I knew then what I know now they'd have gotten a big fright.

Comment

There are commercially available mobile directories I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by teaboy2 View Post
          If its a non contract phone, then its likely they got it as a result of purchasing info from online applications, even social media site if your privacy settings are set to public.

If its contract then they probably got it from the phone company - Seem a lot are selling their customers phone numbers and data!
          I believe the OP's phone would be under a contract rather than PAYG.

1st Crud traced me to this address (Citi only had the address of a place I sold in 2004 for the card) but they never rang neither my landline nor my mobile. They only wrote profusely.

Comment

I would take a wild guess that you may have inadvertently agreed to them passing on your data when you signed the contract for the phone. It seems DCA's can get pretty much anything nowadays, and if you wish to live in one place without endlessly moving it's near impossible to get keep your details private.

Out of interest, does anyone know if the post office sells things like forwarding address data when people move?

Comment

Tracing is simple these days, data is quickly available to businesses.
              Even checking an address, house number and or name and postcode on public websites can show residents living at that address, couple that with a tracing search on a CRA, you're found.
              PO data bases are available I use one for address checks and an RM one for demographic maps.

Comment

with the internet now its easy to find out a lot about someone address phone numbers even where they work unless you never go online never buy anything with a card or keep away from anything where your personal data is stored.
                NOT EASY TO DO

Comment

I agree there is " no hiding place"!:behindsofa:

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
                    Tracing is simple these days, data is quickly available to businesses.
                    Even checking an address, house number and or name and postcode on public websites can show residents living at that address, couple that with a tracing search on a CRA, you're found.
                    PO data bases are available I use one for address checks and an RM one for demographic maps.
                    Addresses are very easy to find, at least in theory. Having said that, Egg never 'found' me despite Citi (who owned the Egg cards at the time) receiving a letter from me with my new address for a current account I had with them, then the Egg portfolio was sold to Barclays in 2011, I have accounts with Barclays since 2008, yet they never contacted me with regards to the card I defaulted on in Feb 2010. :grin: :grin: :grin: That's soooo typical of financial in$titution$ where the left hand has no idea what the right hand does. No wonder they'd rather sell the debts for pennies!

Mobile numbers shouldn't be as easy to obtain, you don't always need to provide them when ordering stuff online, etc. unless they need to contact you to schedule delivery (for example, supermarkets, Argos, Ikea, etc.). Also many people change mobile numbers more often than they move home (not in my case though). It seems rather random whether collectors will contact you on your mobile. MBNA always rang my landline never my mobile, but they did send a few txts, RBS never rang any number till they passed on to in-house collectors Triton, who rang my mobile non-stop but never my landline. Egg never located me anywhere. AK rang my old home number and found me at this address very quickly but never rang either number. Other DCAs including 1st Crud only wrote but never rang or sent txts. :cell: Akinika never rang either number but they sent endless txts. My mobile number must be one of the oldest in the country to remain unchanged, since 2001, I don't think that's the case with the OP's.

Comment

I have a PAYG mobile number which I always give when getting insurance quotations etc.... It may not stop other organisations getting my details (though seems to have for three years), but at least it will delay it.

Comment

When making enquiries online I put in a bogus home and mobile number
                        I never when im dealing with companies where im using them I never give mobile number I don't even know the number!

Comment

First Credit hasn't rang that many times so far. On Wednesday they rang on my mobile (number blocked so goes to voicemail), followed by a call to my landline (didn't answer). The same happened on Thursday.

I was eagerly waiting for them to ring on Friday as I really wanted to have some fun with those guys but they didn't ring.

In the beginning, M&S would ring 3-4 times a day. I told them to either shut up or serve the court papers. Funny those idiots shout a lot but often fail to act!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X