• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Where to go when there is No dismissal !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to go when there is No dismissal !

Hi,
    Just wondered if anyone could help out a little, it's regarding my wife who works part time. Two weeks ago a work colleague of hers (Nasty piece of work) had come to work drunk then threatened my wife before an unprovoked attack that had my wife go to the police and file a complaint. i wanted charges pressed but the police in there infinite wisdom thought a stern talking to would suffice. back to the attack there was a colleague who tried to pull the woman off my wife and eventually succeeded. Now she witnessed the attack and told employers as much in a hearing with a manager and HR person as did the Urchin and my wife. Now my wife was suspended on pay while they conclude there investigation, she is now back at work. but it seems the Nasty piece of work might not get sacked.
    Now it's my understanding that being drunk at work is classed as gross misconduct as is an attack on a work colleague both i believe are sackable offences.
    My question being if she's allowed back to work what channels would i go down to take this further.
    My wife has already stated she would leave if she is reinstated which in my eyes is more than unfair.
    So her company has a witness account of the incident, also police reference number of the said incident.
    If anyone could enlighten me as to what i could do it would be much appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Where to go when there is No dismissal !

The employer has a contractual obligation of duty of care to your wife, they also have a legal duty to protect your wife from bullying and harassment. This means the employer will have to keep your wife and her attacker separate. If they fail to do so, your wife may be able to claim constructive dismissal on the grounds that the employer failed in their obligation of care to your wife, and to protect her from bullying and harassment, which includes future risk of futher bullying and harassment.

Your wife may even take her attacker (or your employer, see below) to civil court for damages for distress.

Your wife may also make a claim in civil court against your employer for assault as a result of your wife being assualted at work and the employers failure to protect her from such situations or incident.

More info for your to read through here -link removed as 404 error

What reason was given for your wifes suspension? or was it just so the employer could find out who was at fault?
    Last edited by Amethyst; 7th April 2015, 16:20:PM.
    Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Originally posted by teaboy2 View Post
      The employer has a contractual obligation of duty of care to your wife, they also have a legal duty to protect your wife from bullying and harassment. This means the employer will have to keep your wife and her attacker separate. If they fail to do so, your wife may be able to claim constructive dismissal on the grounds that the employer failed in their obligation of care to your wife, and to protect her from bullying and harassment, which includes future risk of futher bullying and harassment.

Your wife may even take her attacker (or your employer, see below) to civil court for damages for distress.

Your wife may also make a claim in civil court against your employer for assault as a result of your wife being assualted at work and the employers failure to protect her from such situations or incident.

More info for your to read through here - link removed as 404 error

What reason was given for your wifes suspension? or was it just so the employer could find out who was at fault?
      Thanks for reply. I Believe it was a week off just to investigate, my wife will get paid apparently. The attacker will find out Monday if she still has a job (of which i hope not). My wife is understandably distressed by the whole thing, plus hearing that this Cretin has made threats that she'll attack her if she see's her in the street IF she loses her job. All this whilst wearing a tag for previous, so she is that stupid and doesn't seem to care. but the police were happy, Insistent even to let it go and wait till she doe's it again.
      Last edited by Amethyst; 7th April 2015, 16:19:PM.

Comment

If the attacker is allowed to remain in her job and your wife decides to leave she can without doubt claim constructive dismissal, depending of course on how long she has worked there.
        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Originally posted by deadlydaly74 View Post
          Thanks for reply. I Believe it was a week off just to investigate, my wife will get paid apparently. The attacker will find out Monday if she still has a job (of which i hope not). My wife is understandably distressed by the whole thing, plus hearing that this Cretin has made threats that she'll attack her if she see's her in the street IF she loses her job. All this whilst wearing a tag for previous, so she is that stupid and doesn't seem to care. but the police were happy, Insistent even to let it go and wait till she doe's it again.
          If your wife's assailant has been making further threats to attack her if she sees her in the street, should she loose her job. That is criminal harassment, your wife needs to report it to the police and to the employer.

Originally posted by Tools View Post
          If the attacker is allowed to remain in her job and your wife decides to leave she can without doubt claim constructive dismissal, depending of course on how long she has worked there.
          Exactly. Qualifying period is 2 years employment. Though in this case the OP's wife can still seek civil claim against her attacker and against her employer, regardless of if she has worked there for the qualifying period or not.
          Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X