• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Life Expectancy of a Mobile Phone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life Expectancy of a Mobile Phone?

Hi Folks,

I bought an Applie iPhone 4S 18 months ago from a Vodafone shop.
    It's not on a contract (PAYG) and I paid £425 for it.
    It has now gone faulty and will not connect to wi-fi.
    I have spoken to Apple and they are aware of this problem, apparently
    it's a hardware issue, the wi-fi chip on the motherboard has gone kaput.
    Apple say they only guarantee their products for 12 months.
    They suggested I take it back to Vodafone.
    Which I did, and they said it is only guaranteed for 12 months. I will have to pay for a repair.

Obviously I am not happy about it and wondered what the life expectancy of a well treated iPhone 4S should be.
    It does say something in the Consumer Rights Act about things lasting a reasonable amount of time.
    Do I have cause for complaint? I'm not asking for my money back but would like it repaired free of charge.

Appreciate any advice.
    Tags: None

Re: Life Expectancy of a Mobile Phone?

I can't offer any solid advice other than under the sales of goods act by a reasonable amount of time, it is generally 6 months.

Comment

Apple do have have a system of checks which determine how a mobile may or may not have been abused or mis-treated given the cost of replacements & their reputation.

Products should last a reasonable length of time sounds & reads to me made for your purpose here..............the 12 months is not necessarily fair to you or the limited usage of your device especially given the known problems........................hit Vodafone with this & ask them for their final opinion/comment & take it to the telecoms regulator. Also do this with Apple, raise the concerns over longevity & perhaps they may put pressure on Vodafone.

Comment

Although a non mobile user I'd be really p****d offif it was only meant to last 18 months. That is hardly a reasonable time.

However iyou get nowhere with your claim you might like to try effecting a repair yourself : http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+F...ayed+Out/22167

Comment

Originally posted by wadihalfa View Post
          Obviously I am not happy about it and wondered what the life expectancy of a well treated iPhone 4S should be.
          It does say something in the Consumer Rights Act about things lasting a reasonable amount of time.
          I hope I don't find myself regretting making this post. ray: ray: ray:

I got my iPhone 4 (not 4S) in December 2010. Still works as well as it did back then. I wouldn't consider it 'well treated', I've dropped it, slammed it and it's hardly lived a sheltered life. It's gone to the other side of the world and has been used in lots of windy, sandy beaches which is normally a lethal combination. Been buried in the sand inside a plastic bag, etc. You get the picture. A badly treated iPhone 4 will soon be turning 4. :grin:

Comment

Have you got it in writing from Apple that they have a known problem? If you have then you take it back to Vodaphone (they received the money for it therefore they are liable) and make a claim under the sale of goods. This can be for up to six years after purchase.

In the first 6 months they have to show it is not faulty, after that you have to show that it was faulty to start with and something in writing from Apple would be that proof.

Comment

And I learnt recently, after a problem with an Android device, I learnt I could claim cash back as I paid by Debit card, they will try and tell you its 120 days , and it is but also 120 from when you discovered the problem.
              The suppier has the " right" to refund or replace as well.
              Check out the Consumer Dirct site, sorry cannot link on this device.
              Lots helped me recently with this and armed with the knowledge returned to the shop and got my money back as they could not supply a satisfactory replacement.
              Good luck.
              Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

DT's earlier thread : http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ht=#post490346

Consumer direct site : http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/consumer_e.htm

Comment

You may be interested in this link

Similar situation with EE.

Comment

thanks for link have had similar problems in the past

Comment

Surely the EU "rights" give one 6 years not just one.

nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X