• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lizxmas and Lowells Statute Barred

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lizxmas and Lowells Statute Barred

Thread started for Lizxmas, welcome to the forum Liz, if you could continue your story here you will receive all the help you may need.

I keep getting mail from lowell financial chasing a debt that expired 17 days ago under the limitations act 1980. even today they are still saying they are passing it to their pre litigation/pre legal. Collection dept. I assume if they are daft enough to try for a ccj the court will tell them to ** off? How long can they keep pestering me, what should I do? I have complied with all the conditions pf the limitations act 1980.
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Tags: None

Re: Lizxmas and Lowells Statute Barred

I keep getting mail from lowell financial chasing a debt that expired 17 days ago under the limitations act 1980. even today they are still saying they are passing it to their pre litigation/pre legal. Collection dept. I assume if they are daft enough to try for a ccj the court will tell them to ** off? How long can they keep pestering me, what should I do? I have complied with all the conditions pf the limitations act 1980.
    No, the court won't tell them to ** off because the courts don't have any records of SBd debts. A claim can still be issued and it must be defended in order to avoid judgment. SBd is an absolute defence but a defence is still required if a claim is issued. For that reason, it's wise to inform the creditor that the debt is SBd and you are aware of this fact:

Dear Sirs
    Statute barred account xxxxx

You have contacted me with regards to the above account. The last payment to this debt was made over 6 years ago and no more acknowledgement or payment has been made since that time.

Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written acknowledgment from me within this period, under Section 5 of the Limitation Act 1980, you’ll no longer be able to take court action to recover the debt. Any court claim will be defended on this basis.

Section 7.15.8 of FCA Consumer Credit Sourcebook states: "A firm must not continue to demand payment from a customer after the customer has stated that he will not be paying the debt because it is statute barred."

If you have evidence that this debt isn’t statute barred then please send it to me within 21 days. Otherwise, please confirm that you won’t pursue me for this debt.

Yours faithfully

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X