• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

High Court Enforcement.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Court Enforcement.

I never knew much about this, before watching 'Can't Pay? We'll Take It Away.' and am quite interested in the topic. Can someone please tell me what is 'roughly' the quickest time, from a CCJ being granted, leading to High Court Enforcement Agents turning up on a doorstep to evict someone? There is no statutory delay, from what I can make out, and assume it's all down to speed of procedure.
    Last edited by ploddingon; 20th November 2014, 00:20:AM.
    Tags: None

Re: High Court Enforcement.

The answer has to be "how long is a piece of string" as each case is different, some take days & some take much longer. Don't forget what you see on the box makes it all look easy.

Comment

The reason I asked was that I thought it was very unfair that anyone could get evicted right out of the blue. I know it's not totally out of the blue strictly speaking, as there would have been a prior CCJ and a tenant would have been aware there was a serious issue, but I am sure people can appreciate what I am saying. From what I can see the officers are never expected and it must be very traumatic for all those involved, including the officers.

When it comes to eviction, I firmly believe that at least 14 calendar days should have to elapse after High Court authority is obtained, before any officers are allowed to move in. At the same time, the High Court should immediately be sending out a letter to the address concerned informing them of the situation. If this happens, then the people concerned can at least have time to make other living arrangements or challenge the decision.

Comment

I assume we are taking rent arrears here and not just any CCJ. The landlord would have to give at least 14 days notice before applying to the court for a possession order. This is for eviction and not to do with a CCJ. Depending on what kind of eviction procedure the landlord follows, they could also apply for a money judgment for the arrears.

Comment

In that program it would appear that the tenants knew they were to be evicted, having already received some sort of notice. I think the surprise was that the HCEO turn up without warning.

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
            I assume we are taking rent arrears here and not just any CCJ. The landlord would have to give at least 14 days notice before applying to the court for a possession order. This is for eviction and not to do with a CCJ. Depending on what kind of eviction procedure the landlord follows, they could also apply for a money judgment for the arrears.
            Thankfully, I suppose, I know very little about this and I was referring to rent arrears. It just seemed evident to me, from watching the TV programme, that officers can appear on a doorstep the second after High Court authority to evict is granted. I would often see a tenant say 'I didn't get a letter' and the officer would say 'no, you wouldn't have got one'. It just didn't seem very fair to me.

Originally posted by ostell View Post
            In that program it would appear that the tenants knew they were to be evicted, having already received some sort of notice. I think the surprise was that the HCEO turn up without warning.
            Yes, that's what I meant and I think it is unfair. The tenant gets no notification that the High Court has made any decision in relation to their upcoming eviction.

Comment

HCEOS are called in after a long process and the victim if we call them that will have been informed of actions as they happen and in court have their say.

Letting some know the HCEO is coming would mean in a few cases they would hide anything valuable and maybe wreck the property.

I must add I believe the whole enforcment industry needs to be brought into the 21st century

Comment

Hi

the tenant does get notice of some sort, you still serve the standard eviction notices, and they are dated, then the were 2 ways forward from there

1. Standard route with lower court.. The tenant are given notice that the bailiff is coming to evict ( 14 days at the earlest after the order to evict )
                2. High court. The bailiff can act straight away, notice not required.

In both cases, the first part of the eviction ( paperwork ) is the same, i think. Thats how it works with evictions for arrears, i dont know anything about personal debt.

Its the council that make it worse, by telling people they can only move them when they have been evicted, its a stupid thing to do..
                crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

I found the page on this website quite interesting:

http://thesheriffsoffice.com/service...ntial_property

What really concerns me was the following text:

'If you are about to apply for the order, you can apply for the transfer at the same time under Section 42 of the County Courts Act 1984. Once the transfer application is granted, our officers will evict your tenants, usually within 7 days, but we have done it in 24 hours in some cases!'

It can't be right.
                  Last edited by ploddingon; 22nd June 2015, 21:26:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X