• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Overpayment of inheritance - who is liable?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overpayment of inheritance - who is liable?

Looking for some advice please. I have recently received some inheritance and paid off my mortgage. Since then I have been asked to pay back a percentage because further beneficiaries have come to light and are now claiming from the estate. I have been threatened with court action by the executer if I don't pay. The executer was aware of these beneficiaries but chose to ignore although he denies this, I have evidence to prove otherwise. What are my rights, do I have to pay it back or is the executer liable?
    Tags: None

Re: Overpayment of inheritance - who is liable?

Claims by relatives and dependents must be made within six months of the grant of probate although in some circumstances a Beneficiary making a claim against an estate may have 12 years from the date of death.

When was probate granted ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Not sure of the date when probate was granted but the death was around 18 months ago.

Comment

Was there a will ?
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Executors Liability Insurance

''Distribution

If you misinterpret the will and overpay one of the beneficiaries you may need to make up the difference to the other beneficiaries. If one of the beneficiaries is bankrupt then his creditors must be paid by you, as executor, before anything is given to the beneficiary. Even if you were not aware of the bankruptcy you will still be liable if you get this wrong.''

It's not something I know off the top of my head but in the morning there should be more people around who know definitively.
          #staysafestayhome

Comment

Yes and they are in the will. Thanks for your help.
            Last edited by klingklang; 19th November 2014, 23:16:PM.

Comment

Oh so it was on purpose.

Were you aware at the time of distribution?
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

I was going to say that surely there was a copy of the accounts for the beneficiaries to sign. Did this take place? What documentation was there that the other beneficiaries were excluded on purpose?
                "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

The executor is liable. If you were aware you may be liable. depending. How much are we talking about ? You need to check with a solicitor.

Has the executor issued a claim against you?
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

Basically Ame is correct, if executors make a mistake it is on their head (which is why sensible executors effect liability insurance).
                    And even if the executor was to try and recover the overpayment you could put up the defence of change of position.(if you were convinced it was your entitlement)

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                      Oh so it was on purpose.

Were you aware at the time of distribution?
                      No I was only made aware when the solicitors letter arrived.

Comment

You should be fine - but you will need to respond to the solicitors letter - can you copy the letter onto here (anonymised of course)
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
                          I was going to say that surely there was a copy of the accounts for the beneficiaries to sign. Did this take place? What documentation was there that the other beneficiaries were excluded on purpose?
                          I have a copy of the accounts although the beneficiaries were not asked to sign them. I have a signed statement saying the executer was aware of these beneficiaries.

Comment

You should be fine - but you will need to respond to the solicitors letter - can you copy the letter onto here (anonymised of course)
                            I have not replied yet and will try and copy the letter on here although not sure how?

Comment

Hi, I'm struggling to copy the letter onto here. Any advice what I should put in my reply?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X