• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Jacobs Bailiffs (24hour notice)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacobs Bailiffs (24hour notice)

Hi im new here just looking for some advice and what to do next :tinysmile_cry_t: I had a knock on the door yesterday was a bailiff from Jacobs demanding £650 for unpaid council tax from last year (original debt was much less) I did agree with Jacobs to pay weekly months ago but I never received a payment card so I never even thought about the debt tbh until yesterday...
    He said he will give us 4 weeks to pay and if no payment he will empty our house, can I get the council to take the debt back if I offer to pay half and then weekly instalments under the venerable act as I claim esa for mental health (I also claim for my husband) Im petrified hes going to come and take my babies xmas presents Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Jacobs Bailiffs (24hour notice)

You don't have to let him in, no matter what he threatens. If he can't get in, he can't take anything. If you have a car outside, that is at risk.

Comment

There is a car in my drive but its my sisters as there is no insurance on it. What do I do if he keeps coming? Ive tried ringing Jacobs who wont have anything to do with me they just say contact the bailiff.

Comment

If it's your sisters (and you must be able to prove that), he can't take it. The council are obliged to deal directly with the debtor (you), so offer them a repayment proposal you can afford.

You say you agreed a payment plan previously with Jacobs - do you have the documentation? Did they gain entry at that time? Did they have a 'controlled goods' agreement? Did they supply you with a payment schedule?

Comment

Yeah she has all the paper work plus its on hp (they only live next door) Im going to ring them (council) 1st thing Monday and and offer to pay half then offer instalments I just hope they agree-Do they agree often? The payment plan with Jacobs in the 1st place was all done by mail and me ringing them to agree a repayment schedule but I never received the card nor no other letters so it just slipped my mind, until yesterday. I have no idea what a controlled goods agreement is - sorry and thank you for your help

Comment

They will fob you off with "it's with the bailiff's, nothing we can do". That is a lie. The debt remains the council's at all times and cannot refuse payment. However, they may insist that any payments you make they will just pass on to the bailiff, so at this stage i would not pay large sums direct.

Did Jacobs gain entry previously and did they set up a payment schedule? Have the ever been in the house and made a list of your goods?

Comment

No- no ones been in my house Jacobs have never even knocked my door until yesterday.. So any idea on how I get round the 'theres nothing we can do' bit? Id rather deal with them as the man just scares me trys be little me and just generally doesn't give a toss.

Comment

You are 100% sure they have never set foot inside at any time? What about when the agreement was made to pay before, but you received no payment card? How did that come about? Did they visit for that occasion? Sorry for the grilling, but it is important!

Comment

I received a letter saying I owe money I rang them they did the arrangement over the phone. No one has been inside my house

Comment

Good - they have no power to force entry no matter what they threaten. My advice would be to make token payments to the council online, maybe £5 a week, informing them in writing that you want to enter into an affordable payment plan with them. Inform them you will refuse all access to the bailiff, but you are not refusing to pay.

Eventually, the bailiff will have no choice but to return the debt to the council and the fees will be removed. It's not a route for everyone, and can be stressful, but it will certainly reduce the total bill.

Comment

Thank u so much for all your advice and help, and just as another route option of paying it all off in 1 payment who do I pay? Its unlikely but I like to know all As you never know

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy81 View Post
                        Thank u so much for all your advice and help, and just as another route option of paying it all off in 1 payment who do I pay? Its unlikely but I like to know all As you never know
                        If you want to pay the fees, pay the bailiff the whole amount of £650. If you want to pay just the original debt, pay the council and hope they don't pass on the fees to the bailiff, still leaving you in debt.

My advice is to communicate with the council, pay token amounts until the debt is sent back (known as nulla bona), then pay the council direct as the fees will have been removed.

Comment

Thanks Your advice is so appreciated Ill be on the phone to the council 1st thing Monday and hopefully can get this resolved as I don't want it hanging over my head all over xmas

Comment

Just wanted to say that I have sorted this mess out this morning The council had took me to court over last years council tax (I didn't know) I just assumed it would of tacked on to this year I never paid so they sold my debt on to Jacobs I agreed to pay £10 every 2 weeks I defaulted and so they sent in the bailiff..
                            I rang Jacobs this morning as apparently im classed as vulnerable (esa for mental health)( down to a bereavement) they called the bailiff off instantly said I needed to pay arrears of £150 to bring acc back up to date and carry on with my £10 payments as of Monday.
                            Bailiff said I couldn't do that?
                            Hopefully he wont be back anytime soon, Thanks for your help

Comment

Well done. Can you do the £150 up front okay ?
                              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X