• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help!! Collect Services want £407 for a PCN Reading Borough Council £90!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!! Collect Services want £407 for a PCN Reading Borough Council £90!!!

Sorry this is rather long but I wanted to accurately put the facts - Please help Bailiffs about to remove and dispose of my car - and I am a struggling single parent - Thank you I hope someone can advise me what to do - 1st time on here, posted yesterday to wrong Forum so hope someone on here can help me.

I received a PCN from Reading Borough Council dated 9 April 2014, which I appealed, then didn't acknowledge or reply but I then received a Charge Certificate dated 16 May 2014 showing Penalty charge £60 - Charge Certificate now £90 stating Failure to pay the balance within 14 days of date of notice will result in Council registering the debt at the County Court - a Warrant may then be issed to a certified Enforcement Agent to recover payment and you will also become liable for the additional fees of the County Court and the Enforcement Agent.

I contacted Reading Borough Council the standard Charge Certificate and informed them I was still awaiting a response to my appeal - they said they would look into it and notify me.

I heard nothing further so assumed my appeal was upheld until the 14 Oct 2014 an Enforcement Agent from Collect Services put an Enforcement Notice through my door whilst I was out to enforce the Warrant issed on the authority of the Traffic Enforcement Centre at the County Court Business Centre (which I have now found out is in Northampton!) in accordance with the Taking Control of your Goods and Removing them for Sale at Auction with Total Due of:

Compliance Stage Balance: £172.00
    Enforcement Fee: £235.00
    --------
    Total Due: £407.00

Upon my return I immediately contacted Reading Borough Council to find out what was going on as I had heard nothing following my appeal I assumed it had been accepted and if they had written to say it was not upheld I would of paid the £97. I was informed there was nothing they could do or answer any questions and the matter was with Collect Services and I was to contact them for the Warrant to be returned. I have tried on numerous occasions to contact Collect Services, line rings, no one answers and then it cuts off and goes dead. I sent an email to them on 21 October 2014 explaining the details and my appeal, requested visits to my home cease and the matter returned to Reading Borough Council in order for me to make direct payment to them.

I received an immediate automated response to my email stating my email will be dealt with as soon as possible, and they aim to provide a response within 7 days of receipt. To date, now 3 weeks, I still have not received a response and assumed the Warrant had been returned.

Yesterday the same Enforcement Officer attended my home, I open the door and explained I was awaiting a response to my email from his company - which he acknowledged but still said I had to pay the amount of £407 or he would serve a Notice on me for the Control of Goods, namely my car parked on my drive - which he did but said he wouldn't clamp it so that I could drive it until he returned to remove it unless I paid the £407 in full.

I asked to see the County Court Warrant, he replied he doesn't carry it on him but would write me out a Warrant of Control, which he did but looks suspect to me, his name is not on it and neither is the name of Collect Services Ltd - it's a printed standard looking form which he filled in and states at the bottom 'Drawn upon the authority of: The Traffic Enforcement Centre, County Court Business Centre, with an address and telephone number in Northampton. I said I will now contact them directly ( but would like advice before doing so). He has written an Amount Due of £97 which states it includes Court Fee and any Adjudication Cost - which I think is £90 PCN + £7 Court Fee so how can they be claiming £407????

I also requested from him a breakdown of the charges that amount to £407 - he said he couldn't give it to me in writing but could verbally give me an idea - I said I wanted the breakdown in writing and if he couldn't give it to me to request it was sent to me and that I wasn't interested in discussing anything further, asked him to leave my property and said if he refused I would call the Police as he would be in breach of the peace.

He will return to take my car as he has listed it on an 'Inventory' document - I need to contact Northampton as above but not sure what to do next - please help???!!!! :tinysmile_cry_t:
    Tags: None

Re: Help!! Collect Services want £407 for a PCN Reading Borough Council £90!!!

The fees will be made up of

Original Ticket - now up to £90
    Court Costs - £7
    Notice of Enforcement - £75
    Enforcement Fee - £235
    Total = £407

If they remove your vehicle then the costs will increase.

Before being involved with the Bailiff you should have received a Notice of Enforcement giving you time to contact the Bailiff to come to an arrangement. The fact no response was received means it was then allocated for a visit incurring a fee of £235 which is where you are now. Have you asked the Council the reasons behind your appeal?

Comment

Reading Council didn't want to know! As I now have the written Warrant of Control from Collect Services, it states on the bottom TEC in Northampton sent it to Collect Services - it shows the address for TEC and an 0300 number - I called them today and they told me they would send via email a Statutory Declaration PE3 and a Statutory Out of Time Declaration PE2 which I could print off complete and get authorised at the local court - and then to scan it and email it back today so that they can stop action for 1 month until my appeal has been reviewed after which they will notify me of the outcome.

I emailed PE3 & PE2 back to them today. Is there anything I should do if Collect Services come back again to take my car?

Thank you - wish I found this site earlier - spoke to CAB who weren't much help and they should of told me to fill out the Statutory declaration forms! Perhaps you could get this site on their list for Fine & Debt advice to point people like me to somewhere very useful full of information!!

Comment

Originally posted by CAPERBERRY View Post
        Reading Council didn't want to know! As I now have the written Warrant of Control from Collect Services, it states on the bottom TEC in Northampton sent it to Collect Services - it shows the address for TEC and an 0300 number - I called them today and they told me they would send via email a Statutory Declaration PE3 and a Statutory Out of Time Declaration PE2 which I could print off complete and get authorised at the local court - and then to scan it and email it back today so that they can stop action for 1 month until my appeal has been reviewed after which they will notify me of the outcome.

I emailed PE3 & PE2 back to them today. Is there anything I should do if Collect Services come back again to take my car?

Thank you - wish I found this site earlier - spoke to CAB who weren't much help and they should of told me to fill out the Statutory declaration forms! Perhaps you could get this site on their list for Fine & Debt advice to point people like me to somewhere very useful full of information!!
        Did you check with TEC at Northampton to confirm if they had authorised a Charge Certificate to Reading Borough Council in respect of the PCN? There have been cases, in the recent past, where bailiffs have been waving warrants around, claiming they have a valid warrant, but the warrant is not backed by a Charge Certificate from TEC. Where this is the case, the warrant has no force in law and the bailiffs might as well wave a roll of toilet-paper around.
        Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Thank you Bluebottle! I will check this with TEC as I need to contact them today to find out what is happening following submission of my Statutory Decs!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X