• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bailiffs and Council Duplicity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bailiffs and Council Duplicity

Hi,

I need some advice on 2 Liability Orders for Council Tax.

Orders were for £387.09 (now paid) and £498.09 (£250.00 paid).

First I would mention that the only letters I have ever received from the Bailiffs were sent by post dated 25th March 2014 both letters stating Notice Prior to Removal of Goods also stating that removal contractors and bailiffs have now been booked and will be working in my area within the next 7 days. I telephoned the Bailiffs and agreed to pay this at £50 per week using their telephone payment line. It was only after 10 payments that I noticed that the balances were wrong, I wrote to them asking for clarification and that I would not make any further payments until such time as I received this and that I would make up any missed payments when I received their reply. Didn't hear back so called them and was told that the account was now in default and Enforcement would take place, the employee then asked me what items I had in my home, I didn't tell him.

I called the Council and made a complaint, which was just fobbed off by the first person so I moved it to level 2 and this was referred to the Director of Finance. I explained the situation in numerous e-mails to him but he supported the Bailiffs in all their actions.

I explained to him that I have never received a visit from the Bailiffs yet they have charged for 2 visits on each Liability Order, he said these charges were correct. He then said that the Bailiffs as a 'Gesture of Goodwill' had waived the Enforcement Fee of £235.00. I explained that I had absolutely no idea what this was about. This mysterious charge seems to have been applied as an attempt to alter my balance and collect more money.

He e-mailed copies of the GPS which he said proved they had visited me and then he said the Bailiffs at 15.11pm on 13th March 2014 had levied distress on a vehicle on my drive. He told me the colour and make of the vehicle and also said to prove the Bailiffs did visit they had told him I lived in a semi-detached house with a brown door. This was extremely confusing as the car they/he mentioned had never been on my drive and I had no idea how they could levy on something that did not exist. Then, my better half said that before we moved here just over a year ago, he did a Google street search on the house and area, we looked it up again and there was the mysterious white car (no license number showing) and my house with a brown door. This street view is more than 5 years old. I immediately e-mailed the Council and asked for the registration number of this car as a matter of urgency. He replied by saying that he had now completed a 'thorough investigation' of this matter and I should contact the LGO and also to contact the Bailiffs direct as he believed they had acted in a professional manner and he could not uphold any of my queries. He did not mention the missing car that was levied nor respond to my allegation that this was fraud. I also mentioned to him that his GPS "evidence" was easily falsified. It seems that he simply repeated anything the enforcement agents told him without checking anything nor responding to any of the times I pointed out obvious lies.

Could you let me know what you think and where I stand on this? I have said to him that I will contact the police as I believe this is a case of fraud. What do you think?
    Tags: None

Re: Bailiffs and Council Duplicity

If you have exhausted the Council's complaints procedure then you should now take it to the Local Government Ombudsman. It sounds as if they are not for turning but if you produce evidence as you here then I fail to see why the LGO will not rule in your favour.

Comment

Hello

Thanks for your reply. I have now contacted my MP.

Are the LGO just ex Council Executives ? I think they very rarely go against a Council - although I may be wrong. Is this why I have been directed to the LGO from the person dealing with this ?

I cannot see how the Council could uphold the Bailiff explanation re the car - it is so obviously fraudulent

Anyway, thanks again and I'll up-date you as to the progress.

Regards

Comment

The LGO often finds for the complainant.

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
          The LGO often finds for the complainant.
          Errrrrmm, Totaly disagree, and fully agree with the poster, i joined in a group of researchers years ago, studying these,

http://www.ombudsmanwatch.org/

Do a subject access request to the baillifs, then complain to them directly ( if they have got the wrong number plate through google earth ). Tell them that its cost you tijme and effort to discover there attempt at adding fees to your account ( only if itsd true ).

Tell them, to save your further frustration over dealing with this matters through the appropriate regulatory channels, that if they remove all fees, you will pay *** per ( week or month ) to pay off the original debt within a few months . ( make sure your term ends before april 2015 ).

Tell then, that if that is accepted, you formally drop your complaint.

Fill it out properly as a letter

If its not accepted, please process as a complaint though your systems as soon as possible to allow you to take it to the regulators ro further.

If they dont acspet it, make a complaint to the head of revenue in your council, about them possibly attempty to falsy add fees ( only if its true )
          crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Hi thanks for your reply, really appreciated,

The person at the Council insisted that the car was mine and it was legally levied, it's totally impossible.

As I said to the Council I have only lived here for just over a year and yet the car levied was from a Google Street View from about 5 years ago and I have never, owned this colour or make of car. The Council could not confirm the number plate (because it is obscured on Google Street view) despite numerous e-mails asking for the number plate, they (or the Director Finance) simply said this was the car the Bailiffs had seen.

I had no idea about the levy on this 'phantom' car that is why I requested confirmation of the amount due from the Bailiffs as the amount on one account didn't seem right. It subsequently appeared that they had added £235 to my account for this levy - I tried to explain that why would I know anything about this when I had never seen the Bailiffs at my house ever, only received one letter from them.

Regarding your comment re making a complaint to the head of revenue at my local council - unfortunately, it is the Director of Finance that has denied everything that has happened, this is the person that I have been dealing with for weeks now and who continually sides with the Bailiff.

You are so correct in your reply as to the council regarding the Bailiffs falsifying fees - but all they say is that the Bailiffs as a 'Gesture of Goodwill' have not added the £235.00 - kind of them no? This is the sort of answer I get from the Director - cover up all the way.

I believe that the Bailiffs have made a fraudulent levy and only took their fees back because they knew it could never be proved the car existed.

So now they have a levy of distress on a fictitious car - so should I say 'come and take it then ?' - that should be fun.

I have written to my MP and given him the details.

Again thanks for taking the time to reply to me.

Regards

Comment

End of the day, if they say they've levied on a vehicle ask them to show the paperwork with the reg number, then see them crumble.

Comment

If you can prove the date of the google image go to the CEO of the council and press with a complaint

Comment

Hi

Do a SAR request to the baillif firm, and make the complaint i suggested. Include a copy from google earthe to them and state that the director of finace has confirmed thats the car levied on.

Make sure you include the offer to repay just you council tax and no fees, before apr 2015.

Email this to them on monday, then ring them make sure they look at it, then chase them up on wednesday.

The head of finance will be the head of revenue ( its a regulated role ). This, will allow you to take your complaint the regulators if required,

But, i suggest, the baillifs will drop this like a hot spud, and acsept your offer with out costs, instead of register your complaint.
                  crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Thanks for your reply

I would love to seem them crumble - they should it's all lies.

Anyway,

I have continually asked for information from the Director of Finance, as to who attended, the paperwork involved, the name etc., the registration of the car, but have continually been told from the Director that he has carried out a 'thorough investigation' - and will not provide it, simply saying that the GPS proves that the Bailiffs came here. He will, not, despite numerous e-mails provide me with the registration number, I have asked him 5 times.

I would mention that I have never, ever had any of these people at my house and I believe all they did was take a Google view - the Director of the Council totally denies any of this is true. I have never, ever owned a car that they say they have levied.

What do you think is going on here ?

Where now ?

Many thanks

Comment

If you can give them proof that the image was taken before the alleged visit you can ask them why they are siding with liars who they have ultimate control over

Comment

It'll say on the bottom of googlemaps when the pic was taken. Wales01man, I would say let them prove they have a valid controlled goods agreement. They should be able to provide such a basic piece of info such as the reg number.

Comment

Hello

The Google map says 2009 - as I said I am dealing with the Director of Finance at my Council - he's the person that will not give me the registration of the vehicle or provide me with any paperwork at all regarding this. I have had no paperwork regarding this 'so called levy'.

I complained and it was so called 'cascaded' to level 2 that's where I met Mr Stonewall -he will not accept anything I have said.

Go to the LGO - waste of time ? The Director of Finance is covering up and I know it - but what to do ?

Just sent him e-mails demanding the licence number of the white vehicle - don't expect any answer ever - asked for this before - no reply.

So - there's a problem for you - make a complaint to whom ?

Best Wishes for taking the time to answer me

Regards

Comment

Hi

Am quite good at dealing with council, i fully undersatdsn and agree your point about there complaints systems being usless. Trust me, follow the instructions i suggested ( SAR then the emails to the baillifs and council ) .

fabricating documents to impose a false levie is something that will ge tthe firm in trouble, and they will know that, when yolu make a formal copmplaint and request to the baillif firm, it will go to there legal office, its them that will propbebly drop it.

dealing with the council or baillifs a waste of time, as am guessing you realised

The way i suggested, forces it thought there systems properly.

Comment

Thanks Crazy Council,,

Will try the SAR as you suggested and post back as to the results.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X