• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

tax credit overpayment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tax credit overpayment

Hi all need some help here
    Had letter from tax credit about overpayment

From good advice form the LB site I was directed to this site http://www.taxcc.org/index.html

:typing:
    Sent in a dispute form, also called a TC846
    And also sent a SAR

Just received a letter from HMRC demanding payment :colbert:

They have failed to respond to my previous letter

So I am now going to send the HMRC dispute harassment template
    The problem is the address on the letter is
    Mrs D Roberts
    HMRC
    DMB 410
    BX5 5AB

Post code BX5 5AB does not exist googling the post seems to show
    A false postal address to send any reply’s to
    Meaning that they would not receive the harassment letter
    Any ideas on the correct address
    Please
    Don't let them grind you down
    Tags: None

Re: tax credit overpayment

The most likely post code is BD98 1YY ( http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...-envelope.html )

Please do not take this as 100% accurate though, as this has clearly been a big issue, there's tons on Google about it. This just seemed a logical explanation to me, though if that postcode still is not found, I guess you are best off phoning them before posting anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombats View Post
      I guess you are best off phoning them before posting anything.
      good idea phoned them :cell:

they say looking at the data on the system i have indeed sent a dispute form and it is on now on hold until you receive info that is required to sort it out .:clap2:

Comment

From past experience: make a note of date & time of call and to whom you spoke.
        Send any letters,forms etc signed for.

I think HMRC and DWP are given courses in how to lose documents.

Comment

I first received a letter arguing tax credits overpayment in Sept 2012. I sent back the dispute form and instead of getting a reply, months later I started getting letters from a DCA called Advantis. I then sent a letter of complain to HMRC with a copy to Advantis who put the account 'on hold' and I never heard from them again. Then some time around a year ago I heard back from HMRC arguing I still owed them for the overpayment but not supplying any statements or calculations showing how they arrived at the figure quoted. I wrote back saying exactly that and they passed it on to Akinika who were sending me 2 or 3 txts a day and a few letters. This went on for a few months but I've not heard from them (or anyone else) since the summer. :grin:

Comment

Update got all doc requested by the sar all phone calls on disk.
            And today I have received 25 separate letters (W.T.F) with all my awards from 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by vanman View Post
              Update got all doc requested by the sar all phone calls on disk.
              And today I have received 25 separate letters (W.T.F) with all my awards from 2009.
              Do they show how they arrived at the figure quoted for overpayment?

As I've been left alone with regards to the alleged overpayment, I'm letting the puppies snooze away, however, should they awaken, I'd be interested to know what sort of info came back as a result of the SAR.

Comment

I can see that they over paid me by £330 in 2011
                But they reduced payment in 2012 to cover that
                • masroll:

They have not replied to the TC846 yet until they do
                I have no info to compare any of the data with
                The ball is in their court.
                • masdopey:

If the sum is from before 2009 they have a problem
                They told me that any data before 2009 has been disposed of
                Because DPA say they don’t need to keep it
                taking that to mean any proof they may of have retarding any overpayment before 2009
                is in the bin.

Last edited by vanman; 14th December 2014, 14:14:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vanman View Post
                  I can see that they over paid me by £330 in 2011
                  But they reduced payment in 2012 to cover that
                  They have not replied to the TC846 yet until they do
                  I have no info to compare any of the data with
                  The ball is in their court.
                  If the sum is from before 2009 they have a problem
                  They told me that any data before 2009 has been disposed of
                  Because DPA say they don’t need to keep it.
                  Tax credit overpayments do go statute barred for the purpose of recovery through the courts, however, they can still be recovered by making deductions from tax credits if you are claiming them or by changing your tax code.

Whether they can be recovered from benefits is not very clear at the moment, :noidea: they will be able to recover them from universal credit.

They also claim to use distraint to recover overpayments, however, I've yet to see someone posting about distraint being used for recovery of tax credits.

This makes interesting reading, even if it doesn't actually paint the full picture: http://www.revenuebenefits.org.uk/ta...ry_from%20_DWP

Comment

however, they can still be recovered by making deductions from tax credits if you are claiming them or by changing your tax code.
                    that maybe true but i have a letter saying they do not hold any data pre 2009 if they do then they need to send it as i requested
                    it in the sar.

Whether they can be recovered from benefits is not very clear at the moment, :noidea: they will be able to recover them from universal credit.
                    not receiving any benefits or universal credits.

This makes interesting reading, even if it doesn't actually paint the full picture: http://www.revenuebenefits.org.uk/ta...ry_from%20_DWP
                    it certainly does as i have low income. £14,560 pa

Comment

Flaming Parrot, came across your reply on this post. My wife and I are being chased for overpayment of child tax credits to the tune of about £3500.
                      We've had letters from various debt collecting agencies over the years, but most recently from Rossendales. The tone of their second letter (approx 1-2 weeks after I ignored the first) is now very threatening, with reference to enforcement orders, bailiffs and so on. I'm not phased by this, to be honest, and will continue to ignore any contact. My reason for doing so, is that I have not acknowledged this (bogus) overpayment debt since after the kids went to high school - and this was 7 years ago. As I live in Scotland, the statute barred period is 5 years. However, can you completely confirm that child tax credits are subject to statute barred status??

Comment

I believe it is s9 of the Limitation Act 1980 that you are looking for.

9 Time limit for actions for sums recoverable by statute.E+W

(1)An action to recover any sum recoverable by virtue of any enactment shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued.

(2)Subsection (1) above shall not affect any action to which section 10 of this Act applies.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemLS View Post
                          I believe it is s9 of the Limitation Act 1980 that you are looking for.

9 Time limit for actions for sums recoverable by statute.E+W

(1)An action to recover any sum recoverable by virtue of any enactment shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued.

(2)Subsection (1) above shall not affect any action to which section 10 of this Act applies.
                          The Limitation Act 1980 does not apply in Scotland where the OP lives and the Prescription and Limitation (Scotland) Act 1973 applies instead.

Originally posted by stressball View Post
                          Flaming Parrot, came across your reply on this post. My wife and I are being chased for overpayment of child tax credits to the tune of about £3500.
                          We've had letters from various debt collecting agencies over the years, but most recently from Rossendales. The tone of their second letter (approx 1-2 weeks after I ignored the first) is now very threatening, with reference to enforcement orders, bailiffs and so on. I'm not phased by this, to be honest, and will continue to ignore any contact. My reason for doing so, is that I have not acknowledged this (bogus) overpayment debt since after the kids went to high school - and this was 7 years ago. As I live in Scotland, the statute barred period is 5 years. However, can you completely confirm that child tax credits are subject to statute barred status??

Comment

Cheers FP!

I'm aware of this for normal debits, but does it definitely cover tax credits - are benefits not exempt from being statute barred...?

Comment

Originally posted by stressball View Post
                              Cheers FP!

I'm aware of this for normal debits, but does it definitely cover tax credits - are benefits not exempt from being statute barred...?
                              The thing is, limitation only refers to recovery through the courts, however, the government can recover overpayments in other ways, such as deductions from benefits/tax credits as well as direct earnings attachments: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...0130384_en.pdf

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/384/note/made

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X