• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Final written warning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final written warning

Hi was just wondering about my disciplinary I had today. I had a disciplinary this afternoon for timekeeping. It was stated on my letter as timekeeping.

I was on a verbal warning for timekeeping and a first written warning for absence. I came back from lunch 3 minutes late last month so that triggered a lateness, my 4th in the last 12 months. So I was expecting another warning for lateness taking me to a first written. Instead I recieved a final written warning for absence.

My question is aren't that two seperate categories? They usually are in my company. Just seems wrong and harsh to recieve a final written warning for absence for been 3 mins late back from break. I am considering appealing and have 5 working days to do so.

I have been at the company for 6 years. Any help or info would be much appreciated
    Tags: None

Re: Final written warning

Originally posted by Stereosun25 View Post
    Hi was just wondering about my disciplinary I had today. I had a disciplinary this afternoon for timekeeping. It was stated on my letter as timekeeping.

I was on a verbal warning for timekeeping and a first written warning for absence. I came back from lunch 3 minutes late last month so that triggered a lateness, my 4th in the last 12 months. So I was expecting another warning for lateness taking me to a first written. Instead I recieved a final written warning for absence.

My question is aren't that two seperate categories? They usually are in my company. Just seems wrong and harsh to recieve a final written warning for absence for been 3 mins late back from break. I am considering appealing and have 5 working days to do so.

I have been at the company for 6 years. Any help or info would be much appreciated
    Have a look at your contract of employment under disciplinary. From what you have written above my understanding would be verbal warning firstly, written warning and from what you have written, final written warning.

As far as I am aware, you don't get final written warning for one behaviour and a lesser one if you commit a further, but different, behaviour.

Gotta say that 4 minutes late is a bit harsh in this day and age of flexible contracts
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Timekeeping and days off are classed as the same I'm afraid, both coming under the umbrella of "attendance".
      Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Ah ok thanks for that. Does seen incredibly harsh on me still but I am just going to accept it and just keep myself right from now. Although I do feel under pressure now that I know I will be sacked if I miss a minute of a shift! Not a nice pressure at all

Comment

Also I have heard of people at work been on warnings for both lateness and absence as if they are 2 seperate categories.

Comment

I can sympathise with you, have recently been in the very same situation.
            Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

Yeah not nice, first time I have been on a final written in my life and I have been fairly clean record in my current job, have been there 6 years and worked hard so the thought of been sacked makes me feel ill! Just going to make sure I am always early and don't have a day off, have gone a year without a day off in the past in my job so it can be done, just it's 12 hour shifts including nights. How did you get on dealing with yours? I'm just going to try forget about it and have the mindset I won't have a day off now no matter how bad I feel! I've survived nightshift with no sleep before so reassuring to know I can deal with worse case scenario

Comment

I did shifts

6am-3pm Mon-Fri one week with Saturdays 7am-12.30pm
                then following week
                12.45pm-10pm Mon-Fri (8pm finish Friday) and again Saturdays 7am-12.30pm
                also
                On callout every 4 weeks Saturday 12.30pm until 6am Monday

It is the changes in shift patterns that screws with your body clock and in my case what caused my lateness. In the end I had enough, stopped caring, lost my motivation and basically brought on my own dismissal.

In your case, you want to continue working there, the only advice I can give is to try your best to be on time and if there is anything you can agree on with your employer to help deal with any underlying triggers of your time keeping then do so.

Comment

Sorry to hear you lost your job and yeah I agree with throwing body clock off. I do 4 days 6am-6pm then 4 days off then 4 nights on 6pm-6am then 4 off and so on all year. I was only late twice over summer by 2 mins when I did someone a favour by going out my way to pick them up.
                  Otherwise I am first one on the shop floor 99% of the time which is the frustrating thing.

Got stuck in a long sandwich queue on a rare occasion I went out for dinner and clocked back in 2 mins late so my time keeping isn't that bad which is the frustrating thing now I find myself on a final warning. Like i said that got put on top of my written warning for absence which I think Is harsh. I could of had 2 weeks off or be 2 mins late from break and still would of got the same outcome of a final warning for absence

Wating for my medical date to join the forces so fingers crossed I should be leaving in a couple months anyhow so just a case of making sure I'm on time and don't miss a shift

Comment

Wish you all the best with your medical and application into the forces. Stick around and have a good read, if there is anything else we can help with, or indeed anything you can help others with feel free.

Comment

Thanks much appreciated and I will do. Hoping for my medical date next month or January at latest so soon as I pass that I can leave my job on my own terms to move on to better things which has always been my aim for the 6 years I have been there.

Just a case of keeping my head down and my slate clean till then

Cheers again

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X