• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Revoked driving licence on medical grounds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revoked driving licence on medical grounds

Hi hope some one can give me some help or good advice ,to cut a long story short I have had my driving licence revoked on medical terms .My Dr did tell me not to worry that my licence would be ok as I am fit to drive ,this has all come after heated argument with family member and I decided to go stay at hotel for weekend to get away from the situation but I was involved in hit and run accident following morning ,other driver drove away and left me sitting on a round about in Cumbria .I phoned emergency services reported what happened but did tell the police I had taken pain killer tablets night before for back ache also was to tired to carry on driving so pulled up in lay by to rest but must have fell asleep .Police have told DVLA that I was unfit to drive because my family member had been in touch with them and told them I said they would not see me again even though I have not seen them for some 3 years now .can any one please help in how I can get my licence back as I need it for physical health problem`s .thank you all .
    Tags: None

driving licence revoked on medical grounds

Hi ,to cut long story short I have had my licence revoked as of 10 October 2014 on medical grounds ,this was due to a heated family argument with one family member and to get out of the situation I decided to go and stay in a hotel in Cumbria ,on my way I got over tired and decided to pull in to a lay by ,also I had bad back ache so took some pain killers .Stayed in the car and fell asleep ,next morning I went on with my journey but at a roundabout a van cut across me and I swerved into roundabout damaging drivers front wheel ,the van drove off and left me there on my own .I called emergency services told them what happened and also told them that I slept in car and had taken some pain killers .But unknown to me at that time the family member I argued with reported to the police that night that I had gone off in my car never to return and now the police have taken their word and have informed the DVLA so now my licence has been revoked .I have spoke to my GP who said not to worry and my licence would be safe .Please can any one give me advice as to how I can get my licence back as I do have physical health problems and need my car .

Comment

Re: driving licence revoked on medical grounds

This link gives a pretty comprehensive overview of the whole issue. If you don't find your answer here, please come back and specify exactly why the DVLA have revoked your licence (on what grounds), and it will be easier to give advice as to how / if you will be able to get your licence back and how long it may be before you can apply.

In the meantime, if you have had to give up driving due to a medical condition, you are normally entitled to a bus pass to get free travel on buses, and some councils offer reduced train fares as well. You would get information about from your council website or by phoning them.

Comment

Thank you wombats ,the Dvla have put in the letter that I have psycological problems which affect my driving, I have never had a driving violation or accident before this all started .The only thing I had was some depression last year when my fiance passed away in August 2013 and i am well and truely over his passing as he is in a better place .The family member who had reported to police had not had contact with me for 2 yrs until August this year the eve of my fiances passing and I told him i never wanted to speak to him again .So i think he took the hump and wanted as I call it pay back .

Comment

Do you have any of the notifiable conditions? Psychological impairments range from very mild to very severe. The DVLA have an understandable habit of playing safe.

I can't see anyone taking it on the word of a third party. However, your GP could certainly support you in getting your licence back.

Was the licence definitely revoked because of a medical condition, or could it have been revoked due to the accident and circumstances involved in it?

Comment

I would like to mention that I have made arrangements to see my GP again this week in the hope that he can inform the DVLA that I have no mental issues ,whether they will take note I dont know but I am willing to have a medical if need be .

Comment

no the accident was hit and run as van left his mark on my passenger front bumper ,so proof was there he had cut across my lane and swiped my car .Even insurance investigator said the mark was there and my insurance company was satisfied over reason of accident . As mentioned before the only thing I was getting over was the bereavement ,but that is only human feelings with all people going through a loss.

Comment

Was there a length of time specified in the letter from the DVLA before you could reapply?

Comment

No dosnt say how long it is revoked for ,just says that I can have a review in 3 months also I can appeal with in 6 months but that may not be neccesary with GPs evidence that I don`t have a problem .

Comment

My photo licence was due for renewel on the 5th october so sent in my licence with medical forms also payment for the photo licence ,but they returned the payment a week before they sent the letter saying it was revoked .

Comment

There doesn't seem to be much else you can do. As long as you've completed the right medical forms, I know someone locally who decalared their illness and their licence was revoked for 3 months then reinstated without problems.

I have to say, I don't recommend buses! I actually can't get on one with the noise and crowds etc.... yet a quiet car is fine.

Good luck with your applications. I think you appear to have all bases covered from what I know.

Comment

Re: Revoked driving licence on medical grounds

you can appeal by contacting their medical section and they will, after 1st consulting your doctor, ask you to take a driving assessment. These are run by a charity who will report back to the DVLA

Comment

I think the route of appeal is only to the Magistrates Court - although you must give notice of intention to do so to DVLA (I don't know whether it is their practice to then arrange an assessment as mentioned above).

Comment

Also tell them that due to a family rift false accusations have been made about your fitness to drive

Comment

Originally posted by stevemLS View Post
                              I think the route of appeal is only to the Magistrates Court - although you must give notice of intention to do so to DVLA (I don't know whether it is their practice to then arrange an assessment as mentioned above).
                              No you can ask them direct to reconsider & it is the DVLA that arranges the assessment

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X