• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Please help - SWIFT reposession and capital recoveries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help - SWIFT reposession and capital recoveries

Hi, I just found this site, and was wondering whether you will be able to advise me of next steps.

In 2005 I took out a secured loan against my property with Swift Advances, everything was fine for a few years, I was paying my monthly payment no problems, then in 2007 I lost my job, and that's when everything went downhill, I got another job pretty quickly but for far less money (I didn't want to be unemployed) so contacted Swift to let them know I had another job but my payments to them were stretching and that I would be having problems paying the amount (£260 per month), and they did allow me to pay £30 a month for 3 months (which I said wasn't really helpful because in 3 months I would still be in the same position), then I lost this job, and was unemployed, again. Swift refused to let me pay £10 a month, and kept putting on interest on the missed payments, and so it went on, my mortgage company were far more helpful. I did get another job, but again far less pay than I was on in the very beginning, and despite me trying to pay Swift £140 a month, the interest alone on the missed payments started to increase each month, and eventually the interest payment was higher than my initial monthly payment. They were going to go for repossession of my house.

Jump forward, I stopped paying Swift altogether after they would not accept my offer of payment, and could see the house slipping away from me, so I upped and left my house, just left it, found rented accommodation, and that was the last I heard of anything, until 2 weeks ago. I had moved out 2 years, they repossessed the house, as far as im aware, as I did not go back after I left, so I imagine that the house was receiving all of the notices, letters etc, but I did not go back.

So 2 weeks ago, I had a letter through my door, no return address on the envelope, from a company called Capital Recoveries, addressed to me, and stating that I owe Swift Advances 35k after the repossession and sale of my old property. I usually bat these letters back with addressee unknown, but with this first letter, I was so shocked to see it that I tore it up, and threw in the bin.... I knew I would get another, and I did last week. Again white window envelope, no return address, so you have to open the letter up to get the address to send it back. This time it stated that if they do not hear from me in 10 days they will ask a field agent to call to access my finances and look at a repayments. Again, I stuck an addressee unknown sticker on the letter, and got another white window envelope and put the letter back in and wrote the return address on the envelope and sent it back. that's where I am at the minute, Im so scared someone is going to knock on the door so every night im shut in.

I live on my own, am a woman, I do not have any assets, only an old 8 year old car, that I have to run to get me to work and back each day. I don't earn loads of money, and hardly have anything left after all of my outgoings each month. I was hoping they would leave me alone after they took my house from me, Im just starting to get back on my feet, now this has put a spanner in the works.

Please can someone tell me what to do?

Thank you
    Tags: None

Re: Please help - capital recoveries

Hi Fedupgirl, Welcome to Legal Beagles, it's sounds like you have had a hell of a time with things. Sadly we do hear quite a lot of horror stories involving Swift their charging structure is insane.

So you have no documents relating to the repossession or anything ?

How much had you borrowed initially ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi thank you for such a quick reply.

No, I have absolutely no documentation whatsoever about the repossession.
      I think I borrowed around 20k.

Comment

Okay, what happened with your mortgage ?

Are there / were there any other debts?
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

HI, I have heard nothing from the mortgage company, I presume on the sale of the house through repossession, they got their money back and there was nothing left for Swift Advances, however, not sure on that.

There are other little debt, 2 with CCJ's but they were all unsecured, and are all being paid £1 a month, I never informed them that I left the house and moved to a new address, however I have never stopped paying them the amounts agreed, so hoping that while im still paying, they will not bother me. I did get a letter from Robinsons Way, but I sent them back (received 2) with addressee unknown, and not had anything since. Im astounded how they have found me after 2 years...

Comment

I guess you need to get this sorted out else it's going to be following you for a long time and you can't be shutting yourself up in your home scared to answer the door.

I'd recommend getting yourself an appointment with Citizens Advice - it may well be that you are better off going bankrupt. You don't know if there's a shortfall to your mortgage company which will bite you at some point and seems you may as well get everything sorted now so in 6 years you have a clean slate and can get on with your life properly.

From this end I'd get subject access requests sent off to Swift and your mortgage provider to find out all the information about exactly where you stand and how much your debt stands at, and also whether there is any defence to the money Swift are now chasing you for.

Presumably your job doesn't have credit check requirements attached to it ?

Is your current rental property reasonable secure - ie. you won't get kicked out if you go bankrupt ?
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Re: Please help - SWIFT reposession and capital recoveries

Think I have just found your thread on GOODF. You are due to retire in 4 years? Do you have a private pension at all ?
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

Im not sure, its a private landlord rented through an agency, ive been a good tenant, pay my rent on time every month and not in arrears, if I go bankrupt what happens to my car? I need it to get to work as there is no public transport, if I cant get to work, I cant earn the money? also going bankrupt means my bank account will have to close down too I suppose, which will then involve my employer as I get paid monthly into my account, will it cost me anything to declare bankrupt?... is there no other solution, I don't want to find myself without a home, car, or job. I did not need a credit check for my job. Ive been in it 4 years now.

Comment

as for pension, no the only one I have is with my current employer, and when I retire that is not going to be enough to live on either...

Comment

You might benefit from a chat with Stepchange about your options - it might not be as bad as you think and at least you'll have a good idea what you can do. 0800 138 1111 Freephone - including all mobiles.
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

Ok Ill give them a go, for now though, what happens now I have sent 2 letters back saying addressee unknown?... do you know what Capital Recoveries next move would be?

Comment

and who are Capital Recoveries, and they a debt collection agency?

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUPGIRL View Post
                          and who are Capital Recoveries, and they a debt collection agency?

Yes they are a DCA acting for Swift I would expect.

Capital Recoveries Ltd is a trading subsidiary of Debt Management Services Ltd. We focus primarily on mortgage shortfall debt recovery, on behalf of mortgage Lenders.
                          #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUPGIRL View Post
                            Ok Ill give them a go, for now though, what happens now I have sent 2 letters back saying addressee unknown?... do you know what Capital Recoveries next move would be?

So do you know what will happen now that Ive sent the 2 letters back addressee unknown? Will they send someone to my door?

Comment

Without writing to them to tell them you do not wish to be visited at home (and thus confirming they have your correct address) there's not much you can do other than wait and see, which isn't ideal.

I don't know a great deal about how Capital Recoveries act and whether they ever do actually send someone round to go through the IE sheets etc with you. I'm sure someone else will have a better idea.
                              #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X