• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Employer asking me to do something i cant....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employer asking me to do something i cant....

I'm a support worker for individuals with learning disabilities, we do a vary of different activities which are enjoyable and i enjoy my work. My employer has decided to push swimming as an activity for our service users, the only problem i have with this is that i can't swim. I don't feel comfortable in a swimming pool and i don't want to risk my health as i do have a fear of drowning, we deal with challenging behaviour and the last thing i want is to be in the deep end when one of the service users blows! But my employer insists i do it and by refusing i am breaching my contract, they don't believe me and are pushing me into doing something i can't. I've had to write a statement for our HR saying i can't do this activity as i cant swim and now they've asked me to provide a doctors note to say i can't swim, a doctors note?!

I really need to know where i stand here, the company are being awful and uncompromising and i genuinely feel like i'm being bullied, how on earth can a doctor prove i can't swim? It's almost hard to believe what i am writing but it's all true. Can anyone please advise me what i can do and what my rights are?
    Tags: None

Re: Employer asking me to do something i cant....

I do just wish people would stop claiming bullying the moment they are asked to do something they do not want to do.

Learn to swim, there are classes nationwide for those who are not confident in water?

Comment

What a constructive reply. Thanks for the lack of help and pointless response. If you were actually in my situation you'd see how distressing and embarrassing it is. I've came on here to get some advice, not half a smart arse response.

Comment

Please yourself whether you wish to accept my opinion or not.

Learning to overcome your problem with swimming may help you in many other aspects over life.

In my experience, employers of people who support people with LDs or other needs expect support workers to help with whatever activities they wish to do, within reason.

I doubt whether your contract of employment specifies anything one way or the other but may include something along the lines of supporting activities of daily living - including elective social activities.

In my opinion, if you are saying you have a true psychological to this or any other activity, your employer is entitled to ask for evidence to support your position.

I'm sorry if it came across as half arsed, not intended, blunt perhaps - comment on bullying was aimed wider certainly.

Comment

The fact that the OP cannot swim is highly relevant. Also to supervise disabled people they will need not just training but also a qualification in first aid and rescue.

For the employer to ask this non-swimming employee to supervise a 'swimming class' is just plain madness and should be resisted by all legal means possible. For Gawds sake peoples lives could be put at risk:help:

Comment

I didn't read it as being asked to supervise a swimming class, rather than being asked to supervise an individual service user in swimming.

The two are totally different.

Comment

Page 4
              Guidance statements
              As a Healthcare Support Worker or Adult Social Care Worker in England, you must:
              1. be honest with yourself and others about what you can do, recognise your abilities and the limitations
              of your competence and only carry out or delegate those tasks agreed in your job description and
              for which you are competent.
              2. always behave and present yourself in a way that does not call into question your suitability to work in
              a health and social care environment.
              3. be able to justify and be accountable for your actions or your omissions – what you fail to do.
              4. always ask your supervisor or employer for guidance if you do not feel able or adequately prepared to
              carry out any aspect of your work, or if you are unsure how to effectively deliver a task.
              5. tell your supervisor or employer about any issues that might affect your ability to do your job
              competently and safely. If you do not feel competent to carry out an activity, you must report this.
              6. establish and maintain clear and appropriate professional boundaries in your relationships with people
              who use health and care services, carers and colleagues at all times.
              7. never accept any offers of loans, gifts, benefits or hospitality from anyone you are supporting or
              anyone close to them which may be seen to compromise your position.
              8. comply with your employers’ agreed ways of working.
              9. report any actions or omissions by yourself or colleagues that you feel may compromise the
              safety or care of people who use health and care services and, if necessary use whistleblowing
              procedures to report any suspected wrongdoing

Code of Conduct for Healthcare
              Support Workers and Adult Social

pdf here
              Don't let them grind you down

Comment

So, employer is asking to either prove incompetent or to become competent. Still no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemLS View Post
                  I didn't read it as being asked to supervise a swimming class, rather than being asked to supervise an individual service user in swimming.

The two are totally different.
                  No they aren't One or twenty the same standard of ability and care will be expected

Comment

righty, once again we agree to differ.

I have 25 years of dealing with such problems, but that shouldn't influence your cutting and copying from other sources.

Comment

So, employer is asking to either prove incompetent or to become competent. Still no problem.
                      i was thinking that 5 and 9 applies more.

5. tell your supervisor or employer about any issues that might affect your ability to do your job
                      competently and safely. If you do not feel competent to carry out an activity, you must report this

9. report any actions or omissions by yourself or colleagues that you feel may compromise the
                      safety or care of people who use health and care services and, if necessary use whistleblowing
                      procedures to report any suspected wrongdoing
                      Don't let them grind you down

Comment

righty, once again we agree to differ.

I have 25 years of dealing with such problems, but that shouldn't influence your cutting and copying from other sources.
                        The OP is correct your a bit of a smart arse aren't you

PS As a former litigator specializing in amongst other things such as EL. PL. and PI. I've been dealing with such problems for almost 45yrs

Comment

If that's how you choose to classify me, nothing I can do about it, only trying to help.

Comment

I do just wish people would stop claiming bullying the moment they are asked to do something they do not want to do.

Learn to swim, there are classes nationwide for those who are not confident in water?
                            Please yourself whether you wish to accept my opinion or not.

Learning to overcome your problem with swimming may help you in many other aspects over life.

In my experience, employers of people who support people with LDs or other needs expect support workers to help with whatever activities they wish to do, within reason.

I doubt whether your contract of employment specifies anything one way or the other but may include something along the lines of supporting activities of daily living - including elective social activities.

In my opinion, if you are saying you have a true psychological to this or any other activity, your employer is entitled to ask for evidence to support your position.

I'm sorry if it came across as half arsed, not intended, blunt perhaps - comment on bullying was aimed wider certainly.
                            Within reason is the keyword here, if being able to swim had been a requirement of the job they'd have said so just like some jobs require you to be able to drive. In this case I don't even see any mention of the employer offering the OP swimming lessons as an employer would offer any other kind of training.

Being able to swim and being able to help someone who gets into difficulties in the water are two completely different things. You need to learn special techniques to drag someone out of the water and save them from drowning, particularly a teenager or an adult as opposed to a small child. For example I can swim and go further than the length of an Olympic swimming pool into the sea, that doesn't mean I could rescue someone who's drowning, I wouldn't know where to begin! That's a special skill and an employer can't expect and untrained person to be responsible for supervising others. There's more to this than just learning to swim!

Comment

Agree FP, the point I was trying to make, perhaps clumsily, is that the OP's original reluctance appeared to depend on their own difficulty with water.

I doubt, again, whether OPs contract is dependant either on an ability, nor an inability to swim, what would it then depend on would be the interpretation of support requirements and whether day to day swimming could be considered an exceptional need.

That's why I (tried) to suggest again why OP might try to overcome their own disinclination to water.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X