• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

What to do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do?

Hi all, first post here, would appreciate some help.

Initially I hadn't paid council tax as I simply couldn't afford to - stupid move I know, but there we go.

I initially was a contract worker and ended up going from job to job without getting much in the way of pay. I simply could survive and that was it - fell behind with CC's, Rent, all sorts. I managed to get rent all sorted and I'm fine with that. I eventually got a decent job and then - i find myself out on my ear as that how contracting is sometimes. I was unemployed for three weeks, during this time - despite the council knowing I was out of work, referred my debt to Whyte and Co as enforcement agents. We received one bailiff at the door, we didn't let him in and he gave us a piece of paper. They are saying we have had two bailiff visits, we haven't. The day they say they visited I was in all day.

So it went to court and had the bailiff visit I have to pay £225 + £80, is this right?
    I have squared the council up, so the debt has been cleared, its just this collection agency fees remaining.
    Last time I phoned up whyte and co, they refused to allow me to pay installments, they wouldn't accept any sort of plan. They said that I can pay on line, but It won't stop the bailiff visiting. Each time he does, I'll be charged more. I was told to phone the bailiff in question.
    I did so, he tells me I have to pay the ammount within three months - I tell him I haven't even received my first pay packet yet, how can I possibly know what I can and can't pay you? he then tells me everytime he visits the debt will increase.

Firstly, what I want to know is, do I have to pay the agency costs? if so I will, not a problem. Just not all at once.
    Can they increase the debt once I have started paying?
    Can they refuse a payment plan if the ammount is sensible?
    I'm currently at loggerheads with the council as to what I actually owe - they got these guys involved, they can sure as hell get me the information I requested as far as I'm concerned.
    In what way if I have to pay, can I cement the amount that I'm paying without inviting bailiffs in and without incurring further costs.

Any advice welcomed.
    Tags: None

Re: What to do?

If this has happened since April 6 this year then all they can charge for is a Notice of Enforcement (£75) & assuming you did not make contact or make a proposal plan for payment the next stage is a visit - Enforcement Fee (£235). Unless they have taken control of any of your goods and you have signed a Controlled Goods Agreement - if you haven't then it doesn't matter how many more visits they make they can charge no more.

Comment

Re: What to do?

Thank you, thats exactly what I was thinking. I'm not happy to pay it, but I'd rather just clear it off and keep moving forward - i got myself in this issue after all.
      They want £380 for some reason, I've had no break down of costs yet, So i'll see how it goes.
      It's literally happened this last month
      So just so I'm clear all they can charge me is the £310. They haven't taken control of any goods, i've signed no controlled agreement of goods. Is this actually gospel, as in nationally enforced, i think they're trying to add extras on.
      Thanks for yout time btw.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X