• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot purchased debt from Barclaycard initial contact

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot purchased debt from Barclaycard initial contact

Hello

New to the site and hoping for some initial advice please. Since my husband died and unable to work due to ill health I became unable to meet my financial obligations to Barclaycard. Informed them of my change of circumstances and entered into an agreement to make a payment of £4.00 per month until my circumstances changed for the better. Barclaycard wrote back and stated £1.00 per month would be acceptable and the payments have continued since 2012. Payments being made by standing order directly to Barclaycard. I live in France. I notified Barclaycard of my change of address in December 2013. In March 2014 I received a letter from a company called Credit Solutions, informing me that my Barclaycard account was closed with Barclays and that Cabot had purchased the account and that I would hear from them in the near future.
    I wrote to Barclaycard and Credit Solutions informing them that I had never heard of Credit Solutions until their letter in March 2014, and that I had never serviced my account via Credit Solutions but directly via Barclaycard. I have never received a response to my letter from either Credit Solutions or Barclaycard. I have heard from Cabot and wrote to them, supplying the same information. My payments direct to Barclaycard continue. Cabot sent an assignement notice and informed me they are now the legal owners of the debt and that they would like to help me.
    In my letter to Cabot I asked them to provide me with the evidence in law that my debt with barclaycard can be sold removing my payment arrangement that I have with Barclaycard. I also asked them how much they had paid for the purchase of the debt. I received a second letter from Cabot yesterday saying "thank you for keeping up with your payment plan, this will stay in place for 6 months and then we will contact you again" etc... I received an email from them in relation to my original letter to Cabot, refusing to disclose the amount paid by them, etc.
    I have no payment plan with Cabot, I still pay Barclaycard by Standing Order. They suggested in their second letter that they are receiving the payments from Barclaycard? I think not. They also suggested that to ensure payments are sure to be received that I change my payments directly to them. Which I have not, and will not until I know what the next step is to take.
    Quite simply what should my next step be. Thank you for your time and I hope I have given sufficient information.
    Tags: None

Re: Cabot purchased debt from Barclaycard initial contact

Originally posted by holly154 View Post
    New to the site and hoping for some initial advice please.
    Welcome to LB

I wrote to Barclaycard and Credit Solutions informing them that I had never heard of Credit Solutions until their letter in March 2014, and that I had never serviced my account via Credit Solutions but directly via Barclaycard. I have never received a response to my letter from either Credit Solutions or Barclaycard. I have heard from Cabot and wrote to them, supplying the same information. My payments direct to Barclaycard continue. Cabot sent an assignement notice and informed me they are now the legal owners of the debt and that they would like to help me.
    In my letter to Cabot I asked them to provide me with the evidence in law that my debt with barclaycard can be sold removing my payment arrangement that I have with Barclaycard.
    The evidence that the debt has been sold would be the notice of assignment you mention above.
    I also asked them how much they had paid for the purchase of the debt. I received a second letter from Cabot yesterday saying "thank you for keeping up with your payment plan, this will stay in place for 6 months and then we will contact you again" etc... I received an email from them in relation to my original letter to Cabot, refusing to disclose the amount paid by them, etc.
    They don't have to disclose this information, it relates to an agreement between two parties that does not involve the debtor (yourself).

Comment

I also asked them how much they had paid for the purchase of the debt. I received a second letter from Cabot yesterday saying "thank you for keeping up with your payment plan, this will stay in place for 6 months and then we will contact you again" etc... I received an email from them in relation to my original letter to Cabot, refusing to disclose the amount paid by them, etc.
      They don't have to disclose this information, it relates to an agreement between two parties that does not involve the debtor (yourself). Cabot have accepted your payment plan, which is good news. :clap2:
      I have no payment plan with Cabot, I still pay Barclaycard by Standing Order. They suggested in their second letter that they are receiving the payments from Barclaycard? I think not. They also suggested that to ensure payments are sure to be received that I change my payments directly to them. Which I have not, and will not until I know what the next step is to take.
      Quite simply what should my next step be. Thank you for your time and I hope I have given sufficient information.
      As the debt has been sold, you should change your payments to go to Cabot who are the new owner. Barclays no longer own the account so there's no reason for them to receive your money.

Comment

I haven't got a payment plan with Cabot! The payment plan I am assuming they are referring to is the one I have/had with Barclaycard. Should I therefore go ahead and change the payments of £1.00 per month to Cabot/or not? Once again thank you for your reply.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X