• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

My pip assessment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My pip assessment

hi I am new here and would like some advice please
    On Sept 1st 2014 I had my PIP assessment, my interview was arranged for 1.45pm. I arrived in good time with my friend who has supported me for 14 years, I have had ME for almost 30 years now,
    I have on 3 occasions applied for DLA but have been turned down on all occasions. The last time I applied was in 2009. In 2013 my friend was so fed up with the lack of help from DWP she suggested that I apply for this PIP.

A ray of hope was when I was invited to attend a face to face assessment, When I arrived at the reception area there were about 4 other people all there with their own reasons for applying.
    As we sat 4 ladies came into the reception area and called each person’s name. As each person walked to their respective interviewer, I was in a wheelchair, which I was told twice to leave and sit on a chair, when asked why was told for health and safety reasons, (we were in a Hospital)
    This is what we were all told. “I am very sorry all of our computers are down and I don't have access to any of your records or you original application form, but we will still carry on with the assessment follow me”

Here then is someone I know nothing about and she of me, about to asses me on my personal journey of ME who throughout the interview, showed no knowledge of my condition, or indication that she knew anything about ME
    Or indeed that she had read any of my application with all the relevant details that accompanied said application before the ‘computers’ went down.

As I sat there she had a blank sheet of paper in front of her and from memory did not write down very much, she didn’t refer to any notes or guidelines because some of her questions were very misleading. Here is one example;

She asked me if I could read. My response was,” yes I could and that I was taught to a reasonable standard” (silence) she made no indication as to whether this question was meant as a recreational pastime nor did she readdress the question.

All her questions were made with no for thought to the condition or how I was managing, she asked me if I could cook, my reply was that I don't have a cooker. I was not invited to expand the reason why I didn’t. Would you not find this odd and want to know why? It was explained on my application form. And still she wrote very little down.

She systematically went though all her questions, was undeniably very bright and cheerful, and very matter of fact, I am not sure if she wanted me to respond to her personality in the same way, and I don't think she was expecting the resulting response.

It was not a good day for me, I had not been out of the house for 4 weeks, I was very disoriented and felt completely depleted of energy was totally out of alignment with my brain. I just broke down.
    After about 45 minutes, I think she realised I could not carry on and called my friend into her room, and asked her to take me home.

I received a letter on 1st October that was dated 11th September disallowing my claim from the 2nd October. Everything on my claim form had been denied, they did not agree with anything I had said on the application and said that at the interview I said that I could do everything I had claimed I could not. And that I had appeared confident and balanced.

Even to the fact that I had attended the interview alone and unaided and that I had planned the route and journey myself! When in the interview I said “can you see me driving a car” she replied “oh God no”
    I live about 4 miles away from the hospital and was driven there by my friend who sat outside in the reception area to wait for me. So how did she come to decision that I attended the assessment on my own when she spoke to my friend who was there.

Having all this presented to you my question is this, why was this person allowed to conduct this interview without having prior knowledge of my medical history or indeed my application. Or having my application in front of her. Even if you visit your doctor your notes are in front of him in paper form and on screen.
    And how was it decided that I could cook a meal when she was told that I don't have a cooker?
    And that as I could indeed eat and drink and add 1+1 (don't disabled people do any of these things then?) I showed no cogitative restrictions.

Any help or advice please on how to take this forward.
    Tags: None

Re: My pip assessment

Hi and welcome.
    Sorry to hear of the way your claim and assessment have been dealt with, but yours is not a unique situation.

You now need to contact the office dealing with your benefit asking for an explanation of their decision.
    You should explain why you think their decision is wrong.
    You should have a copy of the assessor's report, and you can use this to pinpoint why you think they have made a wrong decision.
    Let someone else who knows you well (support worker perhaps?) go through it with you as they might help focus.

You can either write or phone (I would advise writing, send letter signed for and keep receipt).
    There are time limits for doing this.

If the decision letter you received has contained an explanation for their decision you should write asking for a mandatory reconsideration.
    Again you give a detailed explanation of why you consider their decision is perverse, and enclose any supporting evidence such as medical reports.
    This can only be done in writing (again keep a copy and send recorded)

If they decline to change your result, come back and we can take you through the appeals procedure to tribunal
    Good luck

Comment

Re: My pip assessment

Thank you for your reply. I have been trying to contact the decision maker to ask for this mandatory reconsideration I am also preparing a reply I know you cant answer this, but i don't understand why there was such a gap between them writing the letter 11th Sept to my receiving it 1st Oct I wasn't going to reply to the letter at first but as i sat and thought about it, It smacks that they didn't believe me or the 4 doctors who diagnosed me in the first place.

I can appreciate that there are many fraudulent claims made that are never investigated but to have 4 independent doctors and 2 hospital consultants (which they knew) over the course of 30 years and the many visits to my current doctor, should surely be accountable for something! apparently not

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X