• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

EDF back billing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EDF back billing

Hi all

Some advice would be very gratefully received.

I transferred to EDF in Oct 2010, signing up for a dual fuel agreement. The transfer from British Gas was completed on 5 Jan 2011.

Since Jan 2011 I have paid EDF monthly via direct debit. They have adjusted the monthly amount up and down based on their reviews of my usage. They send me annual statements showing me the gas and electric used and forecast costs for the next year. The monthly DD varied between £103 and £127 per month, which did not seem unreasonable as there is only myself and hubby in the house. They have had meter readings, the meter is located outside of the property and their meter readers call annually (usually when I'm at work) to read the meter, but the account online has shown ACTUAL 'our reading' for both gas and electric readings.

They've also credited my bank account twice with what I assume have been refunds of overpayments.

In September 2014 I got my usual email from EDF advising my latest bill was available online. So I logged in to check the balance of my account and was horrified to find I was massively in debt. It transpires that EDF have only billed me for gas and Sept 2014 was the first time they had billed me for electricity.

After googling I found out about the Code of Practice for Accurate Billing and quoted that to them. They have agreed the Code applies in my case. However, they still advise I owe them almost £1,000.

They have calculated that between Jan 2011 and Sept 2013 (12 months prior to the first bill), my electricity usage was £1,844.84. They advise during this period I paid them £49.00 per month for electric. The period was 31 months, so in total I paid 31 x £49 = £1,519.00. They have said they will credit the difference between the £1,844.84 used and the £1,519.00 I paid (even though they never billed me). So they are proposing to credit my account with £325.74.

After adjustments this leaves a balance of almost £1,000 debit.

My balance prior to the September 2014 bill was £1,267.82. The electric bill from September 13 to September 14 is about £700, and the gas bill is £125. As I understand it they can only bill me for the prior 12 months so if I was £1,267 in credit and they charge for electric £700 and gas £125 then I should be £442 still in credit. EDF are insisting I am almost £1k in debt because they only have to "cover the shortfalls in the amount you were underpaying for your electricity from 5 January 2011 until 23 September 2013". This seems to imply they can back bill to Jan 2011.

Any advice on where I stand with this would be very gratefully appreciated. I feel like I am being penalised for EDF's poor administration of my account. I have told them I do not accept their response to my complaint and asked for information on what I do to escalate it, but wanted advice on whether I have misunderstood the back billing bit and they can go back to Jan 2011.

Thanks for any help
    Tags: None

Re: EDF back billing

Might be one for these people:

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/

Comment

I can't go to Ofgem until after 8 weeks or EDF advise of deadlock apparently.

Comment

That is correct - first you must go through the formal complaints procedure.
        I've just been through virtually the same dispute withNPower and after several email exchanges I eventually was credited with the amount they were chasing. Took abt 6 weeks in all.
        If that fails then you can escalate it to the Ombudsman. I did get an Ombudsman complaint reference number at the start of the dispute and made it crystal clear throughout that I would take it further if they insisted on pursuit of the alleged debt.
        Call and speak to the Complaints team or check their website for exact details of how to complain formally.
        "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Hi and welcome.
          Sorry, but the answer to your main question is yes!

When a supplier bills a customer for previously unbilled energy which covers a period more than 12 months previous, they take into account any payments made by the customer for that period and then credit the customers account with the balance. (this is explained on page 3 of the Code of Practice
          In effect this means that your billing starts at Sept 2013 with a clean slate.

When you say your bills for the period Sept 2013 to Sept 2014 total £825 approx, is that he net amount owing after taking into account your monthly payments of between £100 and £127? Have you checked their calculations against the meter readings for both periods? Only asking as utility companies are really good at getting it wrong and I always check their figures.
          Last edited by Tools; 30th November 2014, 21:46:PM. Reason: fixing broken link

Comment

Thank you - doesn't look good for me then. It seems very unfair that their poor administration can place me in debt. If I had paid nothing they would have to cancel the whole debt between Jan 11 and Sept 13, but because they refunded my bank account they have placed me in this position. I would have been better off not paying anything then.

I still intend to challenge this because the bill increases my debt beyond the permitted 12 month period - I can but try

Comment

Quite right, but do keep complaining and fighting your corner.
              Also you may still win a credit as an apology for their inefficency, and the worry and distress it has caused you.
              After all they should never have billed you for the huge underpayment, but applied the rules about back billing automatically

Comment

Quick update - I'm still arguing, but EDF have reduced the bill by a further £288 as they found 'a discrepancy in the Billing Cody of Practice' - whilst I'm pleased they have reduced the bill it does not fill me with confidence they have a clue what they are doing. I am still challenging their response.

Comment

Keep going through the complaints procedure, they will give way inch by inch x
                  "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X