• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can bailiff charge a fee just to collect the debt from us

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can bailiff charge a fee just to collect the debt from us

Hi, new to this so apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place, or it's duplicated. I had a bailiff attend my property on Wednesday this week who posted a Enforcement Visit Warning letter through my door. My husband phoned them in the evening to arrange making a payment, they were rather demanding and informed him that they would need at least half the debt (£600) by today. Thankfully we have managed to get the full amount of what they are saying we owe. When they called my husband this morning he told them we have the money in cash and that they could come and collect it, he was then told if they have to come and collect it they will charge us more and could he pay it over the phone instead. The question I have is can they charge us a fee for just coming to collect then full balance owed? Seem's absolutely ridiculous if they can as they already added fee's to the debt but really unsure of what they are legally allowed to do Please post a reply asap as really need this sorted urgently...thank you
    Tags: None

Re: Can bailiff charge a fee just to collect the debt from us

What's the debt for?

Comment

What is the [problem with just paying them by card if you have the cash, just put it in the bank ?

Comment

It's not a problem to pay by card just asking the question as to whether they can charge if they have to come out

Comment

The debt is for Council Tax

Comment

Is it a normal bailiff or a high court one? If it's a normal one, attendance fees will have already been added - they cannot add more fees. Which company is it? What is the debt for? Do you have proof they demanded more fees?

Comment

Originally posted by Sara83 View Post
              It's not a problem to pay by card just asking the question as to whether they can charge if they have to come out
              It depends on which kind of enforcement agent it is and what kind of debt, but if they if send someone out it is invariably going to create costs, in any case, it is not as if they are being so unreasonable I would have thought, not as if they would have just called and then sought to charge you.

Comment

The debt is for Council Tax
                Ah, posts crossed. Then no, they cannot demand more fees. I assume the original debt was in the region of £290?

Comment

It's Bristow and Sutor. From what I can gather they have charged us an Enforcement Stage Fee of £235 which was written on the very first letter 'Notification of Enforcement Agent Visit'

Comment

Then they've already added the £235 attendance fee. They cannot add any more.

Comment

Sara

A previous letter should have been sent to you before the personal visit. The letter is a statutory one entitled: Notice of Enforcement and allows you to make full payment of the amout outlined (which will include a Complaince Fee of £75)..o or to make a payment proposal.

If payment is not made (or payment proposal set up) within the strict 'compliance stage' as oulined in the notice then the debt is automatically passed to an enforcement agent to make a visit to 'take control of goods'. That visit attracts a statutory 'Enforcement Fee of £235'.

Comment

thanks for the replies. I'm not disputing the fee's just wanting to know whether they can charge me another fee on top just for coming to collect the payment from me. He told my husband on the phone this morning that he will charge if he has to come out to collect the payment. Just wasn't sure if he was legally allowed to do this. Judging by what has been said in this thread he's not allowed to!! I'm guessing the bailiff is not in the area today so it's just an inconvenience for him!!

Comment

thanks for the replies. I'm not disputing the fee's just wanting to know whether they can charge me another fee on top just for coming to collect the payment from me. He told my husband on the phone this morning that he will charge if he has to come out to collect the payment. Just wasn't sure if he was legally allowed to do this. Judging by what has been said in this thread he's not allowed to!! I'm guessing the bailiff is not in the area today so it's just an inconvenience for him!!
                          With £235 owing, that is clearly the fee for the Enforcement Stage. The next fee chargeable would be £110 for the removal and sale of your goods which is clearly not going to happen. Once this fee is paid all should be cleared. This assumes the letter mentioned by Milo had been received by yourselves and that £75 of your payment had been allocated towards the payment of the Compliance Stage fee as it should be.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X