• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car Finance - Statute Barred?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Finance - Statute Barred?

Hi there,
    just received letter from collections agency re car finance £7538.18

They're offering me 2 options - pay 10% and they'll close account or pay 20% by instalments and they'll then close account.

Last payment I made on this contract was Feb 2008. I handed vehicle back to them in July 2008.

Can anybody please tell me is this debt now statute barred? There is nothing relating to it on my credit record.

Thank you in advance x
    Tags: None

Re: Car Finance - Statute Barred?

Are you sure the last payment was in July 2008 and there have been no more payments to anyone regarding this account?

Have you acknowledged any debt in writing since that time?

When was the account defaulted?

Who are the finance co and the debt collector?

Comment

Hi,

I've been back through bank statements and last payment was made in Feb 2008.
      I moved to Australia in May 2008 and arranged for the finance company (British Credit Trust) to collect the vehicle from a friends address.

I have had no contact with the finance company or any collection agency since arranging return of the vehicle in June/July 2008.

I don't know the default date I'm sorry - would it be when I missed the first monthly payment in March 2008?

Finance provider was British Credit Trust.
      Debt collector is MMF - Motor Mile Finance.

Thank you for your help.

Comment

July 2008! then its statute barred....... congratulations :bedjump:
        Last edited by righty; 2nd October 2014, 19:21:PM.

Comment

Omg really???
          Are this company just pushing their luck then and that's why they aren't trying to get the full £7.5k????
          Should I just ignore their correspondence?
          thank you so much for your help, I might actually sleep tonight

Comment

Most DCA's try this on. If they threaten court action let us know cos that's not just unlawful its also illegal Re The Fraud Act 2006

Comment

Thank you so much for your help, I really am very grateful

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X