• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

who can remove ashes from crematorium

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who can remove ashes from crematorium

My brother and I are in dispute with my sister who is administrator of my father's will. It is over a year now and his ashes are still at the crematorium. We have reserved a plot and had intended to hold a ceremony when both our parents ashes would be scattered together. Because of the dispute she is now saying she will carry out the ceremony herself and not care if we come or not. My brother is in the States and touring so this would be difficult for him at this time.

Having researched on the internet, in the UK I believe only the person who arranged the funeral (in this case my brother) or the funeral director have authority over the ashes. Therefore she would need permission from my brother to go ahead with the ceremony or to even remove the ashes from the crematorium.

Am I correct in this assumption? If so, he would like to give me permission to collect and retain the ashes for now.
    Tags: None

Re: who can remove ashes from crematorium

Hi Blossom,
    I have found this http://www.scattering-ashes.co.uk/ge...-ashes-part-i/ it maybe something you have read in your research if not I found it quite interesting.
    From that it seems the person in charge of the ashes is the one who arranged the funeral and not the 'Executor' of the will if they are not the same, as you have already stated.
    I am sorry you are having to go through this at such a sad time and I can understand you want some closure and lay your parents to rest properly.
    I would have a word with the funeral director if I were you too.
    Hope this helps
    Enaid x

Comment

Re: who can remove ashes from crematorium

My condolences on the sad loss of your father....
      If you need to clarify this point.
      Go into the Crematorium Office and ask them.
      They have a lawful duty to safeguard the ashes, and should only issue them to authorised persons.
      If this were not the case, then anybody could go and get them.
      Regards.
      JB
      “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X