• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Collectica

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collectica

Back in March my 19 year old (in full time education with no income) was fined £80 for being drunk and disorderly. Unfortunately I wasnt aware of this fine until a letter was sent on the 8th August demanding £210 to be paid which included a £75 compliance stage fee giving until the 20th August to contact Collectica to make full payment or arrangements to pay.

I called the office (my son was away at the time) to pay half of this amount and make an arrangement to pay the second half within the following month. Although they were not happy to talk to me without permission from my son they did take a payment of £105 and I advised that I was going to pay the remaining amount before the 15th September.

On the 11th September he got a Notice of Intention to enter and search your premises - removal notice which was delivered by hand with a new balance outstanding of £340.

I called the bailiff, my son was present and gave me permission to speak on his behalf, explained what had previously been discussed with the office and he referred me to the office. I spoke to the office and they hung up on me twice, telling me to deal with the bailiff. I called the bailiff back and told him that I could make an immediate payment of the £105 and make arrangments to pay the outstanding balance. My son is now claiming Job Seekers. He asked me to call him the following morning as he was now driving. I called, he didnt answer, I left a message and also sent a text message. He didnt call back.

I called again today, he took my number and said he would call back. He did, I then said that I wanted to pay £105 and make arrangements to pay the balance and reminded him that he had authorisation previously from my son to deal with this on his behalf. He said he would call me back. He then called back, it was a bad line, he offered to call back again. Im trying to pay the £105 and make arrangements to pay the outstanding balance at £100 on the 24th and the balance the 24th October. They are not accepting this and saying that if I dont pay the full amount by the end of the month then I will have to pay an additional £110.

The debt is not mine, but I am trying to clear this for my son, he is on job seekers, I have told them to make the arrangements with him to pay, but they said they will not accept silly money on this debt.

What to do .. where to go now?
    Tags: None

Re: Collectica

Make him deal with the Bailiff its his Fine and costs.

Comment

Yes Im happy to do that, but the bailiffs will not accept a payment arrangement with him

Comment

Originally posted by Sarah6320 View Post
        Yes Im happy to do that, but the bailiffs will not accept a payment arrangement with him
        Are they still threatening you with removing your goods??

Comment

they have said that if I do not pay the full amount by the end of this month then another £110 will be added onto the account. I have reminded them that this is not my debt, but my sons

Comment

As its not your debt its him paying the £110 let him take this as a life lesson .

Comment

Hi Sarah,

He's lucky to have a Mum like you! I've answered in line in your post below.

Originally posted by Sarah6320 View Post
              Back in March my 19 year old (in full time education with no income) was fined £80 for being drunk and disorderly. Unfortunately I wasnt aware of this fine until a letter was sent on the 8th August demanding £210 to be paid which included a £75 compliance stage fee giving until the 20th August to contact Collectica to make full payment or arrangements to pay.

I called the office (my son was away at the time) to pay half of this amount and make an arrangement to pay the second half within the following month. Although they were not happy to talk to me without permission from my son they did take a payment of £105 and I advised that I was going to pay the remaining amount before the 15th September.

On the 11th September he got a Notice of Intention to enter and search your premises - removal notice which was delivered by hand with a new balance outstanding of £340. This is the £105 outstanding PLUS a £235 Enforcement Stage fee. Although it is rather harsh having agreed something with you over the phone, without a recording or anything in writing there is little you can do.

I called the bailiff, my son was present and gave me permission to speak on his behalf, explained what had previously been discussed with the office and he referred me to the office. I spoke to the office and they hung up on me twice, telling me to deal with the bailiff. I called the bailiff back and told him that I could make an immediate payment of the £105 and make arrangments to pay the outstanding balance. My son is now claiming Job Seekers. He asked me to call him the following morning as he was now driving. I called, he didnt answer, I left a message and also sent a text message. He didnt call back.

I called again today, he took my number and said he would call back. He did, I then said that I wanted to pay £105 and make arrangements to pay the balance and reminded him that he had authorisation previously from my son to deal with this on his behalf. He said he would call me back. He then called back, it was a bad line, he offered to call back again. Im trying to pay the £105 and make arrangements to pay the outstanding balance at £100 on the 24th and the balance the 24th October. They are not accepting this and saying that if I dont pay the full amount by the end of the month then I will have to pay an additional £110. Tell your son NOT to let the bailiffs in, and if he owns a vehicle to park it well out of the way, as this is what they would go after if possible. You would only be charged a further £110 if they manage to remove goods, so you want to stop them doing this. They are allowed to enter through a normal entrance, so an unlocked front or back door, conservatory door etc.... Persevere in continuing to try to discharge the debt - they will have to accept payment eventually. If possible try to get recordings of the calls and keep texts stating you are trying to pay, just in case anything goes pear shaped.

The debt is not mine, but I am trying to clear this for my son, he is on job seekers, I have told them to make the arrangements with him to pay, but they said they will not accept silly money on this debt.

What to do .. where to go now?
              As above - keep trying and build an evidence trail, plenty of texts from your son offering payment in full, recordings of phone calls from your son offering payment in full etc.... There are some good mobile apps which work well enough and date and timestamp calls which can be handy. Otherwise use your mobile to record a landline call on loudpeaker. It's just a sensible precaution.

It's naughty of Collectica to have charged the £235 and there is no reason why you couldn't write to them stating that a payment arrangement was in place and you feel the £235 should not have been charged. Sadly, without evidence you may be onto a loser - that has to be your choice.

Keep us posted.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X