• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Changes to Debt Pre Action Protocols - Your views

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Changes to Debt Pre Action Protocols - Your views

Originally posted by enaid View Post
    Nothing on SB as I can see but surely that can not over rule the Limitations act ?
    Thinking more on DCAs sending these out to 'force' a response (acknowledgement) of a debt just before it goes stat barred rather than getting their house in order in time to issue a claim before it would go stat barred. (ie. sending these out without any actual intention of issuing court proceedings)
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
      Thinking more on DCAs sending these out to 'force' a response (acknowledgement) of a debt just before it goes stat barred rather than getting their house in order in time to issue a claim before it would go stat barred. (ie. sending these out without any actual intention of issuing court proceedings)
      Yes and I think it is time a definite and fool proof set of rules were out there for SB, read so many different things on it, have even asked the powers that are supposed to know but to no avail. Just seems as it can be twisted to suit and it's wrong.

We know that even the £1 for a CCA request has been debited to the accounts to try unbarr them.

Comment

Had a read through – not as ‘toothy’ as implied a couple of years ago. When you read through it is it really going to make that much difference?

For example;
        3.1 The creditor should send a Letter of Claim to the debtor before proceedings
        are started. The Letter of Claim should –
        (iv) where the debt arises from a written agreement, the date of
        the agreement, the parties to it and the fact that a copy of the
        written agreement can be requested from the creditor;
        Well, we know we can request the agreement but it does not say they have to supply it. As before, they can just come up with a half decent excuse for not being able to supply one.
        It may mean a bit more kerfuffle for the DCAs so I suppose we may see a rash of claims flying about over the next few months but to be fair, I thought this was going to have a bit more back bone.
        I agree it seems to be more about coming to an agreement to pay without going to court. Oh, and nothing about ensuring the DCAs take steps to ensure they are sending the initial paperwork to the right address.
        So very little after waiting so long IMHO.

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
        ~ Anonymous

Comment

Some DCA's are deliberately sending claims to the wrong address when they know full well of the current address and get judgements by default. This is a massive abuse and creates far more court involvement to set aside and start again. These 'new' protocols will change nothing and it's very disappointing. What a waste of time.

Comment

Anyone noticed an increase in activity seeing as this comes into force on Oct. 1st? I admit I haven’t been on the site as much as I’d hoped lately due to work and other stuff but looking about it seems the DCA’s are not as active as they might have been had this been more of a threat to them.

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
            ~ Anonymous

Comment

I read them closely again and it worries me that more and more defendants will possibly admit the claim, fill in the I&E and there you go. This will happen because they will not know what to do and what to ask for.

There are caveats within the guidelines that really give the DCA's a get out of jail free card such as there should be x days notice but they can circumnavigate that if they have a 'good' reason.

It also seems as if the poor debtor now is supposed to tell them why it is in dispute and shouldn't be taken to court

Dear Mr Reston
              I require a copy of the agreement
              A copy of the DN
              A copy of the assignment
              Notices of sums in arrears

Dear Debtor
              Please find attached documents we have made up , I mean reconstituted

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X