• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Conditional Bill of Sale for Car Instead of Finance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conditional Bill of Sale for Car Instead of Finance

Hello,

I’m looking for some advice on behalf of my partner.

He took out what he thought to be a credit agreement with fowlersfinance.com LTD of Stoke-on-Trent earlier this year. He no longer needs the car, due to his employer now providing him with a van. We have become suspicious since he asked for a settlement figure, which they state is approx 1.5 times the ticket price of the car at point of sale and has clearly not been calculated in accordance with the standard early settlement equation, as outlined by the Early Settlement Regulations of 2004 - which in fact gives a figure less than the ticket price of the car as one might expect 20%of the way through the agreement. The ticket price of the car was £3500 but this is not stated anywhere in any of the paperwork he has been given.

I had not looked at the ‘Credit Agreement’, until last night and to be honest I am absolutely appalled at the operations of this company - he does not have a credit agreement but rather a ‘Conditional Bill of Sale’. At the time my partner really needed a car and so didn’t look at the contract in as much detail as he should of done - which I am not defending and I really wish I had made him let me go over it at the time. Quite simply the car is not needed so we want it to go back without us having to pay out the £1.5k isn + depreciation they claim we will still owe if we were to sell the car and pay the settlement figure they gave. I can scan the docs later but they are exactly the same as these (other than personal and car details):

Main 2 pages:
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=33wl...8#.VAeRSVZshg0
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=azbdi9&s=8#.VAeRS1Zshg0

T&C's:
    http://tinypic.com/r/24nlcg9/8
    http://tinypic.com/r/okmwqu/8
    http://tinypic.com/r/mmaaf4/8
    http://tinypic.com/r/1zl9253/8
    http://tinypic.com/r/5v9zp/8

Instead of a credit agreement he has been issued with a ‘Conditional Bill of Sale’. Line 2 states it is regulated by the ‘Credit Consumer Act 1974’ which does not exist - either it’s a typo or a means of misleading people. My understanding is that this agreement basically means that fowlersfinance.com LTD will buy the car and then rent it to my partner for 130 weeks. The ticket price of the car is not stated anywhere and some of the paragraphs completely contradict each other. They also list my partner as a business (he’s not), it is my understanding that these agreements are for the purposes of a business renting a car either - particularly as there is no VAT.

The main bit which outlines all this is:
    ‘By signing this agreement you, the conditional purchaser, request us, the conditional seller, to purchase the goods described on this page and you offer to take the goods on hire for the use and purpose of your business on the terms set out on this page’.

To me that says that my partner is simply renting the car for the given period, there is no statement that he will ever own the car. He does not have a business, never has and never said to Fowlers that he did. Near the very end of the terms and conditions it states that the car must be returned at the end of the agreement. My partner was explicitly told when discussing the purchase and also when getting the settlement figure that the car would be his at the end of the agreement. So in summary, my partner went in to purchase a car for personal use on finance and it seems he has unwittingly been given a rental car that will never be his under a business agreement!

My questions are, is this agreement legal? If it is not, as I suspect, we will simply cancel the standing order and dump the car back with them. If it is legal though, what can we do? A secondary concern is regarding insurance, most car insurance companies work on the basis that the policyholder owns the car - my partner thought he did but clearly does not so we are concerned insurance is not valid!

Thank you very much for your time!
    Tags: None

Re: Conditional Bill of Sale for Car Instead of Finance

Hi and welcome.
    Firstly in response to your last para i) The Consumer Credit Act 1974 certainly exists (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/39/contents) The existence of a typo error will not be a concern. ii) Insurance: whilst the Insurance Company should have been told that the actual owner was the finance co., the reason for the question is to ascertain the insured has an insurable interest in the vehicle, and it is not unusual for people not to realise when purchasing by Conditional Sale or Hire Purchase agreements that the goods aren't theirs until final payments have been made.As the conditional seller makes the conditional purchaser responsible for the vehicle insurable interest exists.

Regarding the termination figure given you, have you requested a copy of the calculations?
    I'm not up to speed on that part, but the figure does seem excessively high. Others here will know more.

Comment

The situation with bill of sale agreements of this nature is that if they are not for business use they act as security for a regulated agreement.

All credit must be regulated under the CCA and have a correctly executed agreement.

Many of the protections available under the act are lost on these arrangements, as the ownership of the car is transferred to the creditor at the commencement of the agreement, he is therefore able to repossess without any of the restrictions which would have been imposed on him via the act on say a HP or conditional sale agreement.

This does not appear to be a problem here as you do not want to keep the vehicle anyway, so I would hand it back.

If they wish to claim any other finance charges tey would have to enforce the associated agreement, since three does not appear to be one, this may give them a problem.

Comment

hi
        I too have been caught up in the fowlers finance web
        I have noticed that on the conditional bill of sale there is no ticket price etc as you described
        but I did notice that on the terms of conditional agreement
        there is a paragraph GOVERNING LAW AND JURISDICTION
        of which it says This agreement is governed by English Law

The English courts have exclusive jurisdiction to settle any dispute arising out of or in connection with this agreement

So my question is this if anyone could advise how would this apply to me if I live in Scotland and have done all my life and my agreement is at my Scottish address

would they be able to repossess the vehicle
        or even pursue the amount owed if i didn't pay
        The reason I ask the future is a bit bleak at the moment and Bankruptcy is a possibility in a Scottish Court

If anyone could help would be appreciated

thanks in advance

zander

Comment

Originally posted by zander View Post
          hi
          I too have been caught up in the fowlers finance web
          I have noticed that on the conditional bill of sale there is no ticket price etc as you described
          but I did notice that on the terms of conditional agreement
          there is a paragraph GOVERNING LAW AND JURISDICTION
          of which it says This agreement is governed by English Law

The English courts have exclusive jurisdiction to settle any dispute arising out of or in connection with this agreement

So my question is this if anyone could advise how would this apply to me if I live in Scotland and have done all my life and my agreement is at my Scottish address

would they be able to repossess the vehicle
          or even pursue the amount owed if i didn't pay
          The reason I ask the future is a bit bleak at the moment and Bankruptcy is a possibility in a Scottish Court

If anyone could help would be appreciated

thanks in advance

zander
          Hi,

Stoke trading standards sorted this out for us.Their position is very clear, the agreements have no legal standing and they have been given multiple warnings and a final warning by trading standards stating that they must not use these agreements any more. Yet they still continue to use them. We returned the car without paying any settlement, if we'd pushed we would of got the deposit back too but wasn't worth the hassle.

I have sent you a PM with contact details for the very helpful person at Stoke trading standards.

Comment

Scottish law applies, Scottish Limitation of 5years no contact/admission/payment applies and the debt is extinguished.

Comment

Hi I too am in the same position now I have a conditional bill of sale from fillers finance Stoke I no longer want the car asked them about returning it and they said that they would rather come to an arrangement and lower the payments. After reading things on here I would much rather return the car, would I be able to do this without having to pay them any more money I have paid way over the odds as it is and certainly do not want to give them another £3000 and still not actually own the car. Could you please advise how I would go about returning the car and paying no further money

Comment

Could you help I am in the same position and want to return my car after reading the threads on here about Fowlers Finance. Can I return the car without paying them another penny? Also could I have the contact for trading standards please thank you

Comment

Hi,

Having a lot of trouble with Fowlers in Stoke. They currently have the car but are demanding payments!!!

The contact at Stoke trading standards would be really useful if you could PM it to me please.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Hi RT08,

please could you send through the stoke trading standards contact please?

Hoping speaking to someone who knows the fowlers issue will help..a lot!!

thanks

Comment

Hi. I also have a conditional sale agreement from fowlers and need to return my car. I have read in the termination rights if I want to return it early I have to pay £3979.80? Would this need to be paid then? Looking what others have said it does not. Is this the case?
                    Last edited by Askey79; 6th November 2015, 21:58:PM. Reason: I have just looked at my agreement and it states at the top conditional sale agreement not conditional bill of sale agreement. Does this make a difference??

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X