• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

**DISCONTINUED** Cabot Financial Court Summons ( Scotland )

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **DISCONTINUED** Cabot Financial Court Summons ( Scotland )

I have received today a Service Copy Writ/Summons from Paisley Sheriff Court for for just over £4000 with interest on that sum at the rate of 8% annually from the date of service, together with the expenses of bringing the claim.

The sum is bundled together for two credit cards (Vanquis and Aqua) with no breakdown of how much it is for each.

I did a CCA request back in the beginning of 2010 (both accounts were on the brink of just about becoming SB'd!!). Vanquis sent a generic credit card agreement with full terms but with no personal details/signature on it). Aqua did not send me a CCA agreement only an application form.. In the summons it states that the accounts were opened during 2006.

Now I am pretty sure that Vanquis is unenforceable at the very least due to no CCA however I am not too sure what to do about Aqua.

I am trying to stay calm, but obviously when you receive documents such like these through the post it is a bit unnerving.

I have read through some threads on court summons but they all seem to relate to England and I know things in Scotland can be a bit different.

Statement of claim:

1. The defender resides at the address as stated in the instance which is within the territory of this court and has been a resident for more than three months immediately prior to the raising of this action and is domiciled there. This court accordingly has jurisdiction. To the knowledge of the pursuers no proceeding are pending before any other court involving the present cause of action between the parties hereto nor is there any agreement between the parties prorogating jurisdication over the subject matter of the present cause to another court. The nature and circumstances of the defender's residence are that he has a substantial connection with Scotland.

2. On 7/1/06 and 15/12/06 the defender entered agreements with Bank of Scotland and Vanquis under which the defender borrowed from them sums of money repayable on demand. The said agreements were agreements regulated under the consumer credit action 1974. The defender failed to pay as agreed on demand and is in breach of contract with the Said Bank of Scotland and Vanquis. The said suppliers assigned all rights in the said debts to Cabot Financial UK Ltd and the pursuers have advised the defender of the same. The said sum of £4153 is the sum sued for. The pursuers have made frequent requests to the defender to make payment of the said sum bu the defender has refused or delayed to do so.

Please, please H E L P!!!

Also to add a paragraph from Aqua at the time I challenged them: (2010)
    In summary , to comply with section 78 the copy does not need to be a copy with the customers signature on it. We do not have to produce an actual copy of the document signed. The purpose of section 78 is to allow debtors access to their terms and conditions of their credit agreement and by providing the debtor with a true copy of the terms and conditions of the agreement we have complied with section 78.

We no no obligation pursuant to sections 61 or 78 of the CCA to provide a signed copy of the agreement. The fact that we haven't provided one doesn't mean the client is relieved of the obligation to make payments pursuant to the agreement. Nonetheless, although we have no obligation to do so, we will endeavour to retrieve a copy of the signed agreement for you and will therefore be in touch in due course.

Next day I received through the post a signed application form, as requested?!
    Last edited by Ruby; 2nd September 2014, 12:58:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Ok, its now my turn - Cabot Financial Court Summons

Wish I could help Ruby but it has been said on this forum that I know absolutely nothing about" English Law" ...so I definately don't kow anything at all about Scottish Law.......but you have my best wishes and thoughts with you if that's any consolation at all........... however consolations and best wishes don't win Court Cases.........cases are won when you can manipulate the law to suit your purpose and view........I don't know how to do that.
    Regards
    Sparkie

Comment

Thanks Sparkie, your kind words are much appreciated.

Comment

Hiya

You will need to send a new CCA request for both agreements to Cabot and Cabot will need to supply the compliant agreements to continue the case.

So the claim will be summary cause... when's the Return date?

You will have to attend the court if you want to defend the claim/s.

Sharon
        xxx
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Return date is the 17th October. This is actually hubby's accounts and he works away. If he does not work he doesn't get paid. Hopefully Cabot will see some sense and drop the case before then?!

Comment

Is it still the case that they cannot enforce these accounts in court without the CCA agreements? Sorry I feel I should know the answer to this but my head is not in the right place just now

Comment

It is still the case. It sounds like Aqua and Vanquis complied in 2010/2011 with the agreement copies under the CCA (just in 2010 things regarding the CCA were still a bit up in the air pending court cases etc and things are more defined now) so hopefully Cabot fail as it was a few years back. If Cabot do come up with the same documents you had back in 2010/2011 then it may well be they are enforceable, it does sound like they might be, but obviously I haven't seen them.
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

So I take it that credit card accounts opened pre April 2007 are being enforced these days in the courts, despite data missing? Vanquis have not sent anything to us apart from the cards terms and conditions, no personal detail whatsoever.

Comment

To clarify this a little further, a credit agreement should have a least the following prescribed terms included:

1. Amount of Credit
                  2. Credit Limit
                  3. Repayments
                  4. Rate of Interest
                  5. Signed by both parties

Do these terms still stand and need to be complied with in today's world?

Comment

The above points is what I would like to use in my letter, do they still stand?

I am now kicking myself for letting things get to this state, however at the time (2010) my young son was involved in a very serious accident (which we are still making constant visits to the hospital about) my mother in law had breast cancer and I was her main carer and hubby was made redundant! - yeah, it never rains it pours!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ruby View Post
                      To clarify this a little further, a credit agreement should have a least the following prescribed terms included:

1. Amount of Credit
                      2. Credit Limit
                      3. Repayments
                      4. Rate of Interest
                      5. Signed by both parties

Do these terms still stand and need to be complied with in today's world?
                      Yes except for 5 - well they still need to be signed but unless you deny signing the credit agreement then it isn't required under s.78 to have the signatures on (as per Carey - ''The test case appears to have made it clear that creditors are entitled to produce a reconstituted version of the credit agreement from the information they hold on the debtor. The reconstituted version does not need to include a signature box or indeed the actual signature but must contain the debtor’s name and address at the time it was executed. '' Stephensons)

Do you still have the copies you were given in 2010/2011?
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

The reconstituted version does not need to include a signature box or indeed the actual signature but must contain the debtor’s name and address at the time it was executed. '' Stephensons)

EH?
                        If that is the case then credit card companies can make up all sort of accounts on folk :noidea: ??

Sorry my scanner isn't working....

Just Aqua I feel could be enforceable but Vanquis sent general T & C's that could have belonged to the pope! What they stated in their letter was:

We enclose a copy of the executed Agreement being the Vanquis Visa Card terms and conditions.

Comment

General rules of evidence apply though, if you deny the agreement they sent is one you signed then they have to show on balance of probabilities that you did, and under s.61 would have to get the original copy, particularly for pre2007.
                          #staysafestayhome

Comment

I feel sick right now. If this goes to court does that mean a CCJ will be listed under my husband's name?

Comment

If they win, yes (well, the Scots version of - I'm not that up on the Scots court system, but presumably you could still come to an arrangement with Cabot for repayment without going through court - not saying to do that, only if they do come up with the agreements and they are compliant)
                              Its likely Cabot will respond saying 40 days so you may need to make, I think, an incidental application, to request the documents they rely on (agreement, assignment, default notice etc). I'll see if there's an equivalent to the CPR 31.14 request to ask for those at this stage.

When did you default on the cards ?
                              #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X