• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Complaint to FCA re money laundering accounts at Barclays Bank plc used in fraud

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complaint to FCA re money laundering accounts at Barclays Bank plc used in fraud

The FOS appear to have laid down a challenge to a member who lost money via a fraudulent advert where the money was passed through a money laundering account at Barclays Bank plc stating that if he could muster 20 similar complainants it would be investigated by the FCA. For this reason I have opened this thread to test the water.

It's most unlikely that anyone will get their money back by doing this but it appears the only way to get this matter investigated and, though I have not personally been a victim, I do respond to many of these adverts and my personal experience has been that I can expect to be offered an account at Barclays Bank plc at least 90% of the time, and I'm erring on the side of generosity stating that.

Though I have not been a victim I do keep detailed and extensive records of my dealings with these fraudsters when I offer to buy their 'non-existent' cars and I'd be happy to add these records to any complaint forwarded to the FCA.
    Tags: None

Re: Complaint to FCA re money laundering accounts at Barclays Bak plc used in fraud

I am suprised there haven't been 20 complaints about this issue already.

Did the FCA say this in writing or over the telephone?

[MENTION=7]Tools[/MENTION]
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Re: Complaint to FCA re money laundering accounts at Barclays Bak plc used in fraud

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear, which is my fault. 20 appears to be the number set by the FOS as opening the door to making a complaint to the FCA.

Why 20 ? - I don't know, but it's nice to know what the figure is that opens the door. If the member who received that letter stays in touch it will be useful. The fact is that there have been many more victims but understandably, with there being little hope of anyone getting their money back, many aren't interested in pursuing it further.

By starting the thread I'm testing the water. Not being a victim myself I can't do much other than provide guidance and assistance and, if no one responds, I'll have more time to chase the fraudsters.

Comment

I suggest that if it can be shown that banks are ignoring these frauds because it's not them losing out, but ordinary consumers then there might be a case for bringing an action against the banks and the regulator

Comment

I can provide the bank account numbers, but again, I did not transfer/nor lost money to them. I only got an invoice with a company name and such. Not sure if that's any help at all?

Comment

@ righty

What you say is very true, and I say this as retired bank staff. I was quite amazed to see the police appealing for help over a fraud against a bank from over a year ago and the sum involved was £10,000. The likelihood of the police even investigating any of these frauds against private individuals is slight, let alone for over a year.

You may be surprised to learn that 'money laundering' accounts at Barclays Bank were used in a widespread villa fraud in Australia a year to two back, so this isn't only affecting UK citizens and it says something if, of all the banks in the world, Barclays are used for frauds perpetrated in Australia of all places.

@ Jolien

To go to the FCA it's victims who have lost money we need to hear from but obviously a list of accounts that have been reported will be submitted as evidence of the scale of the problem and yours will be included.

I have been involved in similar matters previously and the complaint to the FCA is the aim, but it's useful to make use of the media too.

I don't expect anything to happen quickly. and until we have 20 people prepared to join in a complaint, no progress can be made, but this thread is here to be used and represents an outlet for those victims who know they won't get their money back and want to take the matter further. The fact is that no one else will do anything.

It's up to you.

Comment

You can use my info Boyce anything to stop Barclays gets my approval

Comment

i am a victim of this online car fraud and i wish to complain to the fca AS A GROUP as when i complained on an individual basis the fca did not want to know. I urge more victims to add to this thread so we can get the ball rolling and set a template letter up for us to sign and return THEN send as one the the fca.

thanks dixie

Comment

I have messaged you re the complaint idea.
                  Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

there have probably been hundereds of complaints by hundereds of individuals but if say for instance A GROUP of victims of online vehicle fraud all put there name to one big document they cannot ignore it and will have to investigate

thanks dixie:doggieyes:2013

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                      I am suprised there haven't been 20 complaints about this issue already.

Did the FCA say this in writing or over the telephone?

@Tools

over the telephone

Comment

Originally posted by dixie2013 View Post
                        over the telephone
                        Then they'll deny it. It would make sense to write to them confirming that discussion & its contents & wait for their responses

Comment

This article seems pertinent

http://www.theguardian.com/money/201...rt-fraudsters?

Is opening an account at Barclays a passport for international crooks?
                          Barclays is being used by international fraudsters to rip off victims both at home and abroad yet it takes no action, according to a campaign group
                          Not my words.

I'll see if I can make contact with them.

The whole issue has been kept under wraps for so long it's quite unbelievable. These people have nothing to do with car frauds and that only reveals how widespread this problem is, and underlines that the UK has become the country of choice for fraudsters wanting to open bank accounts for use in fraud. I should still have the link to a news report whereby a fraudster controlled over 750 bank accounts for use in fraud. There are few global corporations with that number of bank accounts.

A fraudulently opened bank account has a cash value. If you know how to get around bank systems, and it is self-evidently a breeze for most criminals, someone can earn a good income just from opening these accounts and selling them on. Banks promote how secure and safe their systems are, which is a fundamental necessity for them to remain in business, their response to being overwhelmed with fraud is to suppress every outlet for victims to gain redress.

They have got away with this for a long time, but it has reached epidemic proportions and they need to regain control of their procedures or risk losing all credibility.

Comment

the lady i spoke to at the fca understood my frustration so i suggested that if victims complained AS A GROUP the case would have to be looked into, if
                            holiday villa rental victims are making headway from overseas why can't we?

Comment

Originally posted by Boycie View Post
                              This article seems pertinent

http://www.theguardian.com/money/201...rt-fraudsters?

Not my words.

I'll see if I can make contact with them.

The whole issue has been kept under wraps for so long it's quite unbelievable. These people have nothing to do with car frauds and that only reveals how widespread this problem is, and underlines that the UK has become the country of choice for fraudsters wanting to open bank accounts for use in fraud. I should still have the link to a news report whereby a fraudster controlled over 750 bank accounts for use in fraud. There are few global corporations with that number of bank accounts.

A fraudulently opened bank account has a cash value. If you know how to get around bank systems, and it is self-evidently a breeze for most criminals, someone can earn a good income just from opening these accounts and selling them on. Banks promote how secure and safe their systems are, which is a fundamental necessity for them to remain in business, their response to being overwhelmed with fraud is to suppress every outlet for victims to gain redress.

They have got away with this for a long time, but it has reached epidemic proportions and they need to regain control of their procedures or risk losing all credibility.
                              boycie ive sent u a pm

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X