• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

LegalBeagle Wins Bank Charge Case - Lloyds Overdraft Terms deemed Unfair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LegalBeagle Wins Bank Charge Case - Lloyds Overdraft Terms deemed Unfair

Lloyds Overdraft Terms deemed Unfair in new Bank Charges Victory

Lloyds Bank in Taunton

Lloyds TSB has been ordered to pay a customer over Ł1700 after it unfairly applied bank charges to his account and damaged his credit file.

In what we believe is the first bank charges court claim victory since such cases were stayed in July 2007, LegalBeagles member Oliver Foster-Burnell (‘orfoster’) has been successful in his claim for a refund of charges and interest.

The claim was brought against Lloyds TSB at Taunton County Court where Mr Deputy District Judge Stockdale held that despite the Supreme Court judgment, the unarranged overdraft charges levied on Mr Foster-Burnell were contrary to the requirement of good faith as per section 5(1) of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 and, as such, unfair.

Oliver Foster-Burnell, the Claimant in this case said: “It is unfair that the banking industry are allowed to profit while anyone suffers financial hardship by applying these charges and allowing charges to snowball out of control, it skews the imbalance between the banks making huge profits and consumers around the country suffering difficulties, I am so pleased that in my case the judge awarded in my favour”.

Mr Oliver Foster-Burnell

Oliver continued: “I’ve had such amazing support from the LegalBeagles forum and my legal team who have done an excellent job in supporting me”

The bank was ordered to re-imburse the claimant Ł743 in charges plus interest. The court also awarded the claimant non-pecuniary damages of Ł1000 for a related incorrect default to his credit file.

• You can read the full judgment here

We consider this County Court Judgment to be highly significant and although it can only be persuasive as authority currently it will almost certainly be subject to appeal and could be ground breaking.

The ruling does not effectively overturn the Supreme Court Judgment made back in November 2009 but adds a further dimension to future claims, particularly to customers who have suffered from financial difficulties whilst in an overdraft situation with their current accounts.

Taunton County Court

Mr Foster-Burnell’s case was brought using relatively new case law established in the European Court of Justice: Nemzeti Fogyasztóvédelmi Hatóság v Invitel Távközlési Zrt C‑472/10 (“Hatóság”)

In the Hatóság case the ECJ found that price variation clauses in consumer contracts must have reason for and method in their mechanism clearly set out. In Orfoster’s case, as with all standard current account contracts, Lloyds simply increased his overdraft charges without reason or method.

The claimant was also awarded damages for an incorrect default registered on his credit file. Although the judge held that no damage had been done to the file by the ‘default’, the fact that Lloyds had agreed to the claimant repaying the overdraft by way of a debt management plan it meant that no default had in fact occurred.

Nick Spooner, co-owner of the LegalBeagles consumer forum stressed that ‘’until the appeals process in this case is exhausted we do not recommend anyone using these arguments in litigation. We would like to congratulate Oliver and thank his legal team of Kate Briscoe (Howlett Clarke Solicitors and co-owner of LegalBeagles.info), and counsel Tom Brennan for their dogged determination in continuing the fight for fairness .”

Last edited by Amethyst; 28th August 2014, 19:05:PM.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps
    Tags: None

Re: LegalBeagle Wins Bank Charge Case

Wonderful news indeed & a great piece of work for the use of UTCCR 5.1.................I hope it stands throughout any appeal.

Comment

In addition to the Hatosag judgment the claimant's skeleton was supported by another ECJ judgment RWE Vertrieb AG v Verbraucherzentrale Nordrhein-Westfalen e.V. (Case C-92/11)

http://curia.europa.eu/juris/documen...t=1&cid=180655

The relevant paragraphs are 49 to 54.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
        Lloyds Overdraft Terms deemed Unfair in new Bank Charges Victory

Lloyds Bank in Taunton

Lloyds TSB has been ordered to pay a customer over Ł1700 after it unfairly applied bank charges to his account and damaged his credit file.

In what we believe is the first bank charges court claim victory since such cases were stayed in July 2007, LegalBeagles member Oliver Foster-Burnell (‘orfoster’) has been successful in his claim for a refund of charges and interest.

The claim was brought against Lloyds TSB at Taunton County Court where Mr Deputy District Judge Stockdale held that despite the Supreme Court judgment, the unarranged overdraft charges levied on Mr Foster-Burnell were contrary to the requirement of good faith as per section 5(1) of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 and, as such, unfair.

Oliver Foster-Burnell, the Claimant in this case said: “It is unfair that the banking industry are allowed to profit while anyone suffers financial hardship by applying these charges and allowing charges to snowball out of control, it skews the imbalance between the banks making huge profits and consumers around the country suffering difficulties, I am so pleased that in my case the judge awarded in my favour”.

Mr Oliver Foster-Burnell

Oliver continued: “I’ve had such amazing support from the LegalBeagles forum and my legal team who have done an excellent job in supporting me”

The bank was ordered to re-imburse the claimant Ł743 in charges plus interest. The court also awarded the claimant non-pecuniary damages of Ł1000 for a related incorrect default to his credit file.

• You can read the full judgment here (pdf 12.4mb)

We consider this County Court Judgment to be highly significant and although it can only be persuasive as authority currently it will almost certainly be subject to appeal and could be ground breaking.

The ruling does not effectively overturn the Supreme Court Judgment made back in April 2008 but adds a further dimension to future claims, particularly to customers who have suffered from financial difficulties whilst in an overdraft situation with their current accounts.

Taunton County Court

Mr Foster-Burnell’s case was brought using relatively new case law established in the European Court of Justice: Nemzeti Fogyasztóvédelmi Hatóság v Invitel Távközlési Zrt C‑472/10 (“Hatóság”)

In the Hatóság case the ECJ found that price variation clauses in consumer contracts must have reason for and method in their mechanism clearly set out. In Orfoster’s case, as with all standard current account contracts, Lloyds simply increased his overdraft charges without reason or method.

The claimant was also awarded damages for an incorrect default registered on his credit file. Although the judge held that no damage had been done to the file by the ‘default’, the fact that Lloyds had agreed to the claimant repaying the overdraft by way of a debt management plan it meant that no default had in fact occurred.

Nick Spooner, co-owner of the LegalBeagles consumer forum stressed that ‘’until the appeals process in this case is exhausted we do not recommend anyone using these arguments in litigation. We would like to congratulate Oliver and thank his legal team of Kate Briscoe (Howlett Clarke Solicitors and co-owner of LegalBeagles.info), and counsel Tom Brennan for their dogged determination in continuing the fight for fairness .”

Good old Shire Hall

Comment

Not had such a good read for a long time. Hearty well done to all concerned.
          A lot of issues there brought into the light IMO.
          The ability to consider unfairness under section 5 on terms which are unilaterally altered on the permission of a term in an agreement which says just that the creditor can do so for instance, this was the subject of a judgement I saw on her by Fred, who had a successful decision against a sub-pime lender in an interest rate matter. This is a very valuable point IMO.

The ability to vary a term unilaterally has, as the judgment says always been qualified by a term which says that the agreement may be terminated by the debtor if he did not agree, however this was also addressed, as of course if the debtor is in deb it he cannot terminate the agreement so it is itself is not a fair term and unenforceable.

The damages issue was also inter sting, and i was interested to hear of the google case which I admit I have not read, I note they did not take Durkin into account on this occaision, however the award of 1000 for none pecuniary losses is significant and is interesting after smeaton.

Again well done to everyone on this.

Comment

''''For the foregoing reasons and in reliance upon the ECJ
            decision in Hatosag I therefore conclude that, as between this
            Claimant and this Defendant the term in question, namely
            Conditions 15.4 and 15 .6, is unfair because I am satisfied
            that, in the words of Regulation 5 (1):
            it causes significant imbalance in the parties' rights and
            obligations arising under the contract to the detriment of the
            consumer.'' Para 69 of the Judgment ( http://legalbeagles.info/judgment-fo...-bank-charges/ )

Condition 15.4 provides:" We can make any change to
            the terms of this agreement or the additional terms that
            apply to a particular account or service (such as
            our .... charges or overdraft terms'').

Condition 15.6 provides: "We can also make any other
            changes to the terms of this agreement ... . or can introduce
            new charges as long as we give you sufficient advance
            personal notice."

I do believe this will cross over to others who have had incessant charges added to their accounts taking them further and further into overdraft despite having informed the bank they are in financial difficulty.

We think it will also assist those who have come to arrangements to repay overdrafts with the bank before being defaulted on their credit files.
            Last edited by Amethyst; 26th August 2014, 17:51:PM.
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by andy58 View Post
              The ability to vary a term unilaterally has, as the judgment says always been qualified by a term which says that the agreement may be terminated by the debtor if he did not agree, however this was also addressed, as of course if the debtor is in deb it he cannot terminate the agreement so it is itself is not a fair term and unenforceable.

Disappointingly the judgment held that he did have the right to withdraw from agreement although in reality he didn't have the capability as he was overdrawn. As Tom would say ''a right without remedy is no right at all''.

But I do agree with you that a clause in any consumer contract that has the effect of not being able to withdraw is inherently unfair.

Comment

Keep it going..............................I can use this stuff for learnings if nothing else, if proven solid the implications are big for "unsecured" a massive interest for lots with little hope :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
                  Disappointingly the judgment held that he did have the right to withdraw from agreement although in reality he didn't have the capability as he was overdrawn. As Tom would say ''a right without remedy is no right at all''.

But I do agree with you that a clause in any consumer contract that has the effect of not being able to withdraw is inherently unfair.
                  I will have to read it again , it seemed to me that it was said that since the debtor could not withdraw from the agreement he had not no opportunity to exercise this right and therefore had no choice but to accept the variation.

Comment

I will have to read it again , it seemed to me that it was said that since the debtor could not withdraw from the agreement he had not no opportunity to exercise this right and therefore had no choice but to accept the variation.
                    Just re-read it and maybe you're right.

Comment

Yes section 65 and 66 do seem to say taht the judge could not consider this to be a fair term IMO. Very interesting in that it is a similar term which is used to validate the variation of account credit charges in general.

Comment

Yes section 65 and 66 do seem to say taht the judge could not consider this to be a fair term IMO. Very interesting in that it is a similar term which is used to validate the variation of account credit charges in general.
                        What amount of credit can be placed on the the original OFT bank charges case ongoing at the time & the associated behaviour of the banks in that consumers in difficulty could still make claims for bank charges, was this just related to the potential outcome or possibly the meanings in this case ?

Is it that the potential charges that could be incurred are in no way predictable so as to place a consumer in such a position of not being able to plan for any such change ?

Comment

Congratulations to Oliver and all those that have assisted in him with this case, fantastic news!

(Even better that it's happened in god's own county, Somerset!)

I found this bit curious though....................

"The claimant was also awarded damages for an incorrect default registered on his credit file. Although the judge held that no damage had been done to the file by the ‘default’, the fact that Lloyds had agreed to the claimant repaying the overdraft by way of a debt management plan it meant that no default had in fact occurred."

How can a Default not do damage to a credit file?

Were the arguments from Khopraror (spelling?) and Durkin used for this?

Comment

I think they didn't evidence particular damage - the judge mentions suggestion of a mortgage that didn't go through but that no evidence was offered and the point wasn't pursued etc... so I think it was just the default didn't really have that much effect (although think Orfoster might beg to differ) There's a fair bit on his thread about the ICO and the default / credit file issues (linky http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ase-court-28-1 )
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

OK, Thanks Ame

Just had the impression that Khop and Durkin gave us authority for larger damages without proof of specific loss, but I'll get over too that thread

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X