• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DWP chasing me for money i dont owe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DWP chasing me for money i dont owe

Please can anyone help ... I am being chased by the Dwp for £120 for over payment that goes back to 2004 .. the thing is i have not claimed or signed on at a job centre for years .. i have been in full time time work for 11 years and they are saying i was working and claiming in 2004 which isnt true ... i have contacted them and they insist i must appeal which is a joke ..how do i appeal they don't listen to me they keep sending out letters from different Debt collecting agencies ..i have sent them letters i dont know what else to do... please can some one help .
    Tags: None

Re: DWP chasing me for money i dont owe

Send them a SAR (Subject Access Request) under the Data Protection Act. They are entitled to ask for a nominal £10, but send nothing unless they specifically ask for it. Bear in mind that if their data is wrong, and they knowingly maintain that error, they commit a criminal offence.

Make a formal complaint. See here:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...ints-procedure

When writing, demand that they 'prove it', and insist that they show all their workings.

Point out that you are now being harrassed by Debt Collectors, for whose actions, since they are acting as their agents, the DWP is vicariously liable. You might challenge them to sue, if they are sure that they have a case.

Consider making an SD (Statutory Declaration), that they are in error. Give details of what they are claiming and why. This costs £10 or so and is a useful stick to beat the DCA's with. It also sends a message to the DWP that you mean business.

Do not deal with them by email or over the telephone - keep everything in writing.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X