• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

How do I find my account number for old loan I had with chartered trust in 1998 pleas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I find my account number for old loan I had with chartered trust in 1998 pleas

Took out loan with chartered trust in about 1998 it was surcured on our old house and paid off on 28/3/2002 the day we moved into our present house were we live to this day
    ive asked our bank the Halifax and they said they don't go back that far
    we were banking with them at the time and still are and with the same bank account number as well so were do I go next please help
    We asked black horse and they said they can't help because they can't find any record of our loan without a account number PLEASE HELP ME
    Tags: None

Re: How do I find my account number for old loan I had with chartered trust in 1998 p

Hi Joy brown,

below you will find a post that I have copied and pasted. I too was palmed off by Black Horse and I took further advice from the ICO. Now, black Horse may have destroyed the information you want but they may not....and if they haven't they have to find it for you. The second option is a SAR to the Halifax. Again if they have statements going back to 1998, they have to give them to you. Whether or not those statements will give an account number, again I don't know. Only you can decide if the information you require is worth the investment of £20.00 on SARS.

Start.
    when anyone puts a query to this forum, usually the first thing that our Di advises is to get a SAR off to the company in question. I always thought this was good advice......it's not only good advice, it is absolutely magnificent advice!!!!! So a very big thanks Di. I,ll explain later in the post.

How many of us have either received replies from companies telling us that they have no obligation to provide information after a "six year" period etc etc. it is worded in a variety of ways and you will read it right across all the consumer forums. Well folks, strictly speaking that is not correct!!

Following on from research and a conversation with the ICO, customers, on presentation of a Subject Access Request, are entitled to receive all the information that a particular institution hold on them. It is irrelevant whether this information goes back 5 years or 15 years. The exception to this rule is if that information has been completely and irrevocably destroyed.

Below is an extract from the Subject Access Code of Practice:

"Electronic records

In most cases, information stored in electronic form can easily be found and retrieved. However, as it is very difficult to truly erase

all electronic records, it is arguable that a requester might be entitled to request access to personal data that you do not have ready access to – because you still hold the data and, with time and varying degrees of technical expertise, you could retrieve it.

You are likely to have removed information from your ‘live’ systems in a number of different ways. The information may have been:

• ‘archived’ to storage;

Archived information and back-up records

Electronic records

In most cases, information stored in electronic form can easily be found and retrieved. However, as it is very difficult to truly erase

all electronic records, it is arguable that a requester might be entitled to request access to personal data that you do not have ready access to – because you still hold the data and, with time and varying degrees of technical expertise, you could retrieve it.

You are likely to have removed information from your ‘live’ systems in a number of different ways. The information may have been:

• ‘archived’ to storage;

• copied to back-up files; or • ‘deleted’.

Archived information and back-up records

Generally speaking, information is archived because, although you wish to remove it from your live systems, you decide to retain a copy in case it is needed in the future.

You should have procedures in place to find and retrieve personal data that has been electronically archived or backed up. The process of accessing electronically archived or backed-up data may be more complicated than the process of accessing ‘live’ data. However, as you have decided to retain copies of the data for future reference, you will presumably be able to find the data, possibly with the aid of location information from the requester. So you will be required to provide such information in response to a SAR.

Electronic archive and back-up systems might not use such sophisticated search mechanisms as ‘live’ systems, and you may ask a requester to give you enough context about their request to enable you to make a targeted search. The requester’s ability to provide it may significantly affect whether you can find what they want. Nevertheless, to the extent that your search mechanisms allow you to find archived or backed-up data for your own purposes, you should use the same effort to find information in order to respond to a SAR. "

The above is only a small extract from the "Code of Practice", but I think it gets the point across. Unless the company can give you an assurance, in writing, that your information has been destroyed, then they have to try and get it for you, no matter how difficult that seems to them. (Companies have to keep a "destruction of records " schedule)

There is a sub section which explains that the company may come back to you and try and pin the range of information down and, that seems perfectly reasonable.

So, you can see now why our Di's advice is so good!!! End.

when I wrote to Black Horse I quoted most of this extract starting from "Following on from...........

They haven,t come back to me yet but, I am really looking forward to their reply!!

hope this helps,

Very best regards,
    :beagle:

Comment

Re: How do I find my account number for old loan I had with chartered trust in 1998 p

Hi and welcome Joy

Follow the advice by our L'pool.

Many times in previous years I directly asked the banks for any details to be told the same thing, but if you request for your info on your account in sending a Subject Access Request (SAR) to their data dept you will be surprised with the info you receive and the fact you still have a running account with them as well :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Comment

Hi Joy,
        Excellent advice from L'pool and Di, our great experts.
        I support 100%.
        Since I discovered that magnificent tool SAR, I did not start my last 3 complaints till I ordered and received SAR. It was most helpful.
        For me it well worth the fee.
        If there is a chance to get that information you need, that is the best one.
        I was using SAR template letter, suggested by Di.
        It is a very good template letter, should you need one.

Victoria

Comment

Hi victoria and everyone thank you for all the great information you given me
          special thanks to you L ' pool i have copied the sar you sent me and its getting posted off tomorrow to the halifax
          just one more thing i need help with does anyone have the address for the data recover office for the ha;ifax
          because i don't want to waste time sending to the wrong place and it getting mislaid
          i shall be letting you all know step by step how I'm doing on this ppi claim from black horse
          many thanks again regards joy

Comment

thank you for your advice dizzy di

Comment

hi L'pool 64 thank you very much for your help and sending me the sar I've copied it and sending it off first to halifax to see if i can get them to send my pin for the direct debit that was used to send my months payments

Comment

You are welcome, Joy

Keep us posted, please.

V

Comment

Hi Joy,

"knock 'em dead" !!!!!!!!!!

:beagle:Xxxxxxxxxx

Comment

That is a fabulous suggestion from our L'pool.
                    You should follow that advice.

Comment

hello everyone just leaving a update about my journey to trying to find a account number of a loan we had with chartered trust
                      we sent the SAR letter to the halifax to request for all our data going back to the be gaining of our account being opened
                      today i had a reply saying we can expect a parcel to be delivered to us very soon with all our dealings with the halifax going back to 1996
                      with in these records we should be able to find a pin number that was used to pay out our monthly direct debit to chartered trust NOW
                      black horse i shall come back with more news as i receive it BIG THANKS TO YOU ALL xx joy

Comment

Hello I had some loans from chartered trust and hfc bank beetween 1996 and 2000 they say they deleted the information after 6 years and i have no accounts numbers and no paper work..DO YOU ASK THE BANKS FOR A SAR as i was going to give up about it all as not getting anywhere..Thanks

Comment

Hello I had some loans from chartered trust and hfc bank beetween 1996 and 2000 they say they deleted the information after 6 years and i have no accounts numbers and no paper work..DO YOU ASK THE BANKS FOR A SAR as i was going to give up about it all as not getting anywhere..Thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X