• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

SETTLED: Lowell / Cap One / Bryan Carter Solicitors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SETTLED: Lowell / Cap One / Bryan Carter Solicitors

Received a claim? Yes
    Issue Date: 11-6-2014
    Amount approx: £400
    Claimant: Lowell
    Solicitor: Bryan Carter
    Original Credit: Capital One

Particulars of Claim: Just the original account number

Stat Barred? No

Have sent: AOS and Defence

Other Info:
    I'll try and be straight to the point (not being rude)
    -I had a Cap One card, £200 limit late 2011
    -I fell into financial difficulties early 2012
    -I wrote to Cap One several times, no response and they just kept adding charges
    -It went to DCA's (Fredricksons/Red/Hamptons/Lowell) and I made offers of payment in writing but asked that the charges from the point that I informed Cap One about my financial difficulties be removed. Not that it mattered as none of them wrote back.
    -Bryan Carter issued CCJ in June on behalf of Lowell

Now, I know I have this debt and I am prepared to pay it - I always have been, but I have argued that the £130 in interest and charges (on a £200 debt) were unreasonable. I have always written and offered £250 to settle the debt, but being a full time student this would have to be in installments - I never recieved a reply.

-I have never received an assignment letter about the debt, so I don't think it is legally Lowells to chase?
    -I receive a statement email from Capital One every month.

Any advice on how to deal with this would be greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Lowell / Cap One / Bryan Carter

Hi Danny and welcome to the forum,

As this is quite a recent debt it is likely they will have the paperwork but it is still worthwhile requesting more information under the Consumer Credit Act, as well as under CPR for the notice of assignment as you dispute ever having had one. Also there is doubt over their ownership of the debt as you still get statements from Capital One.

Did you keep copies of letters making offers of payments? as that should also help as you tried to sort it out well before court action was necessary.

So acknowledge the claim, tick intend to defend in full, send a CCA request and a CPR 31.14 request for the notice of assignment, and default notice if it is mentioned in the particulars of claim ( you put '' Particulars of Claim: Just the original account number '' I assume there was slightly more than that in the POC ???

Hope that helps

Sharon

1: ACKNOWLEDGE THE CLAIM - you can do this online usually at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk
    You'll need your claim reference and password from the front of the claim form

2: Send A CCA REQUEST to the CLAIMANT ( see here )
    This applies to all credit cards / loans / hire purchase / store cards type debt. It doesn't apply to Mobile Phones / Utilities or Overdrafts.

3: Send a CPR request to the CLAIMANT'S SOLICITORS ( see here )

This applies to everything unless they happen to have supplied you with a bunch of paperwork to back up their claim (v. unlikely)
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hello and thank you for your prompt reply.

The POC only included the account number - should there be anything else included? (I will scan a copy when I get home).

I have copies of all the letters - I very quickly found that the DCAs only wanted to deal with the matter over the phone - I never once received a reply to a letter.

Who should I send the CCA to? Capital One (who I believe still own the debt) or Lowell or both?

Comment

Who is the claimant on the court claim? If Lowell send the CCA request to Lowell, the CPR request goes to the solicitors handling the claim.

THE POC should say something like '' Claimant claims payment of the overdue balance from the defendant under a contract betweent the defendant and HSBC Plc dated on or about the 27.01.2005 and assigned to the claimant on 20/2/2013 in the sum of £xxxx.xx''
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Ah yes, the POC is on there, it's above where it says "particulars of claim:"

Comment

Ah problem, I cannot complete a CPR request as the case has already been allocated to the small claims track. Does this mean I have no way of knowing if the debt was actually assigned? Does it matter that they never informed me?

Comment

So you have already entered a defence based on interest and charges? Did you mention all the letters? Did you partially admit and offer instalments?
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

My defence reads as follows:

"I do not believe Lowell Portfolio are not the creditor and
                therefore have no legal basis to make this claim. No
                sale/assignment letter has been received and the debt is still the
                care of Capital One. I have attempted to resolve this matter on
                numerous occasions but have being unable to do so due to unfair
                terms."

When I say 'unfair terms' I refer to the interest and charges added after I informed them I was in financial difficulties as well as the DCAs only wanting to communicate over the phone (and thus ignoring my letters) as well as the multitude of different companies who were contacting me making it impossible to know who to deal with.

What do you think?

Comment

It has the main points in, Lowell will have to produce the assignment notice to take it further. You may need to amend at that point but see what they come back with. Have you had the n180 directions questionnaire yet?
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

Great - are they likely to supply the assignment letter of their own accord or will it be a case of waiting to see if its in the 'evidence' before the hearing?

I completed a 'Directions Questionnaire' but all it asked for was my contact details and if I wanted to use mediation - which I of course said yes to.

Comment

The court will hopefully order it off the back of your defence. If not and they go straight to a hearing you state you need it to show they have any rights over the debt.

You've sent the CCA off now haven't you?

Mediation wise, you'll be saying the same, you haven't been given any documents to evidence they own the debt etc, and it will most likely not go further than that.
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

That's very helpful, thanks. Yes the CCA has gone today.

Comment

Update: Capital One have responded on the 12th day with a letter asking me to prove my identity by sending a copy of my drivers license or passport - I assume they are well within their rights to do this and there is no danger in giving them this information?

Comment

No they aren't entitled to do that and it is just a stalling tactic.

Who did you send the CCA request to?
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

I sent a CCA to both Capital One (who have replied with an ID request) and also Lowell who have not replied...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X