• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Is there a ' compensation culture ' in the UK ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is there a ' compenstation culture ' in the UK ?

I think back to the advert where the guy falls off the ladder with an electric drill in his had and we are told he could claim?
    Well whose fault was it he was using the ladder un restrained and a drill that was the wrong voltage?
    Must have been the guy supervising him with the gun or as was probably true he had ignored al the safety training he had

Comment

There is a compensation culture in the UK, it's the primary reason this site and others like it exists when they hadn't before.

The culture is driven by the inevitable consequence of the errant behavior of commercial & financial institutions who have created the very requirement for compensation and is further fuelled by the claims management industry. It wasn't created by consumers, but for them.
      Last edited by EXC; 18th August 2014, 17:08:PM.

Comment

EXC I am in full agreement .
        Its a fact that companies chase the £ for their ends the subject of the claim is only a figure on a Cheque

Comment

Des, I hope your comments weren't addressed at my post. I don't believe I spoke pejoratively of anything or anyone. The rather pompous tone of your post is quite amusing, and rather out of character.

Who is it who would allow the injured to remain in ignorance of their rights?
          Who said anything about that?

On this site we are in favour of advising people of their rights in all sorts of scenarios, but when it comes to liabilities some shout "compensation culture" when it is a right for the injured to receive redress.
          Who is it who would allow one person to ejaculate on behalf of 50,591 members, assuming he ejaculates for all? :tinysmile_twink_t2:

The emphasis not only of the post, but also on the specific definition of the word culture, is purely your own. Words have more than one meaning (see above).

The cultivation of this area of business has been extremely successful as suggested by EXC. The culture for the skin graft after my accident was successful. It is hard to disassociate the term 'culture' from accidents and incidents. It is hard to disassociate accidents and incidents from blame and compensation.

(ALL comments above are strictly tongue in cheek!)

Comment

Re: Is there a ' compensation culture ' in the UK ?

Hi Wombats,
            No , nothing personal. As Wales said in an earlier post "fair fight..no abuse". So I'll ignore the jibe about pomposity:tinysmile_twink_t2:

The reference to allowing the injured to remain in ignorance concerned the call that is often heard to stop lawyers approaching the injured, who may not know to what they are entitled. I see no reason to stop such approaches, but as I added further down, I do not like the way that insurers pass over details of their claimants.

And regarding "culture" I don't believe any of us are using it in a biological sense or with reference to Culture Club, and it wasn't actually my definition (I pinched it :tinysmile_grin_t
            And I never claimed to speak for anyone other than myself.

In so far that Ins Cos encourage litigation by selling accident details to claims companies I would agree with Exc's statement about commercial & financial Companies creating the requirement for compensation,but only in so far that they are "encouraging" its growth.
            Liability policies were devised because there was a need for them. As has already been mentioned "damages" were awarded back in Saxon times, and this is what insurers cover.
            And frivolous claims are nothing new: http://www.theguardian.com/money/blo...surance-claims

Comment

I would say yes there is a culture for compensation & those that have means to provide this will be tested, in some cases unjustly/unfairly as with any uncertainty.

What does not seem apparent or fair in terms of reasonable compensation is/are the acts perpetrated by those with pure self regard or no interest in the consequences of their own actions which can & does cause/create situations for innocent law abiding citizens with life changing injuries/dilemmas or even worse......................there is no amount of compensation for some who suffer the most, I would say imbalance in retrospective or future potential damage compensation is a lottery.

Comment

Wow! I was right about the way threads turn to nastiness.

Comment

It is merely a manifestation of the selfish materialism and overweening sense of entitlement encouraged by greasy, self-serving politicians.

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                    Wow! I was right about the way threads turn to nastiness.
                    Really? Just make sure you read ALL posts. :beagle:

Comment

IM in the firing line now?
                      Wont bother answering that if anyone has to revert to putting others down so be it

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                        IM in the firing line now?
                        Wont bother answering that if anyone has to revert to putting others down so be it
                        I was serious - look under the video clip! :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Comment

Originally posted by Wombats View Post
                          I was serious - look under the video clip! :tinysmile_twink_t2:
                          At least I had spotted it on first reading............. had to get magnifying glass out

Comment

I should never be taken too seriously. My initial threads were actually semi tongue in cheek, though the motorbike story is totally true.

I'm glad you spotted it, and I was fully ready to apologise if you had not 'got it' on reading it. I thought you would and you did, much to your credit.

I have Stephen Fry and QI XL to thank for the ejaculation part, as an ejaculation is / was simply an exclamation. I learnt in that episode that Watson ejaculates twice as often as Holmes in the Conan-Doyle books, and even ejaculates once from a second storey window.

Apologies for lowering the tone!

Comment

That's fine.
                              Watching QI the other day I learnt that a word I thought was a measure of rum actually had 27 other meanings... look up "jigger", Some of the meanings could lead to confusion in certain intimate moments

Comment

Originally posted by andy58 View Post
                                I remember hearing a story(it may be apocryphal) some years ago, when microwaves were first being introduced in America. The story goes that a member of the social elite sued the manufacturer of her new device, she was in the habit of securing her pet poodles curls, prior to showing with a brief spell in the oven , of course when she tried it in the microwave there were disastrous results. She sued successfully stating that there should have been a warning notice on the MW about not inserting live animals, although then decision was overturned on appeal.

I think there are occasions where people should be held accountable for causing harm, but there also such things as accidents where nobody is to blame i also think that sometimes it is just your own stoopid fault.
                                As I have stated there is no such thing as an 'accident' because that term implies inevitability and blameless. Striking a pot hole or tripping on a loose kerb-stone implies negligence by the person or organization for failing to maintain that right of way in a safe condition. Of course, there can be & is mitigation provided they have taken reasonable steps to ensure their rights of way are properly maintained. No court in my experience would expect a council to be able to rectify such defects the moment they happened.
                                Also, as I have stated because the council have quickly done the repair after finding out about the incident does not mean they have tried to hide the evidence. It's because if they didn't repair a known defect which could cause further incidents they really would be 100% liable and dependent on the injuries it could cost the tax payer much more in damages being paid to the victim

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X