• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Motobility Registration, Insurance and liability for PCNs/Traffic Contraventions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bailiffs demanding money from my 6 year old daughter

There's a few useful links regarding this topic HERE.

Comment

In fact this identical scenario happend with a relative on mine two years old and it was simply dreadful.

The relative had purchased a brand new car on 1st August. Her 35 year old son has a Motability vehicle following a very serious RTA about 5 years ago. He was not expected to live and surgeons wanted to amputate his left leg but instead, rebuilt the leg. He has extreme difficulty walking but can drive perfectly well. On 2nd August (the day after taking delivery of her car) she allowed her son to take her car for a short drive (of about an hour). Less than 5 minutes later a lady smashed into the car after she had gone into premature labour. The car was a write off and arguments were ongoing for nearly a year regarding the insurance claim and it was at this time that I was to learn that drivers of Motability cars are not covered (even on a 'third party' basis to drive any other vehicles.

Comment

The insurance policy will have the details of what vehicles you are allowed to drive under that policy.
        My policy allows me to drive any other car with the owners permission, but only as a third party cover.
        “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

I don't know if this ( the above few posts) is/are in response to my comment - but if so, I wasn't suggesting at all that I thought myself to be covered by any insurance relating to my son's Motability car except as a driver of his car for his purposes. The cover is that anyone can drive it (as long as it's for his benefit) with my permission.

The point I was trying to make was that all the FPNs (numerous carers drive him) etc come to me, in my name, because I am the responsible person through whom the car was registered to my son, who does not have the legally required mental capacity to take such things on for himself.

Not sure how clear that is - or whether others can see the relevance - but in relation to the OP's situation I'm pretty astonished that a 6 year old child rather than the parent/carer is held responsible for a driving contravention:tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Comment

I don't think anything was aimed personally. In fact I think it started a very useful discussion. I'm also sure that the 6 year old will NOT be held responsible for anything.

Comment

No - it's oK Wombats - I wasn't being prickly. Just wanted to clarify and get more understanding of how the whole thing works:tinysmile_twink_t2:.

Comment

My wifes motability car has to have named drivers don't know where any driver comes fron and does not cover the named drivers to drive another car if we get a courtesy car from a garage we have to produce the policy before we can take car.

Comment

No - it doesn't cover anyone at all to drive another car The policy relates to the Motability car only.

Comment

My query was based on trying to understand how the DVLA would send enforcement data to a six year old when the child would not have been on the documentation in the first place, it would be the name of the responsible adult, or so I would think. This is why i was curious about the format of information on other documentation on arrangements.

Comment

The car maybe has to be registered to the person adult or child whos DLA pays for it must be that's why the DVLA sent their details to the Council.
                      Anther strange anomaly?

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                        My wifes motability car has to have named drivers don't know where any driver comes fron and does not cover the named drivers to drive another car if we get a courtesy car from a garage we have to produce the policy before we can take car.
                        We had to seek permission to modify the policy so that any driver with my permission is covered to drive the car for his benefit - it's not a standard situation (although it is, if you get me).

Comment

Originally posted by andy58 View Post
                          My query was based on trying to understand how the DVLA would send enforcement data to a six year old when the child would not have been on the documentation in the first place, it would be the name of the responsible adult, or so I would think. This is why i was curious about the format of information on other documentation on arrangements.
                          Sorry Andy - have not got my paws on the docs yet - they stay with the car which isn't here. But will do! :tinysmile_kiss_t4:

Comment

The car maybe has to be registered to the person adult or child whos DLA pays for it must be that's why the DVLA sent their details to the Council.
                            Anther strange anomaly?
                            It doesn't make any sense, Wales. When we got the car for my son we had to jump through so many hoops and I had to sign all the forms as the "responsible adult" (ho - restrain your laughter). I would've thought the same would apply for a minor (particularly a mini minor) - in spades :confused2:

Comment

I suspect the registration document was filled in wrong or its the child c/o the adult?
                              On your insurance do you have to inform them of change of driver ?

Comment

I suspect the registration document was filled in wrong or its the child c/o the adult?
                                On your insurance do you have to inform them of change of driver ?
                                No - because the insurance covers any driver with my permission.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X