• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

how can I find out if I have a CCJ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how can I find out if I have a CCJ??

I'll try boil this down to the bare bones, without going into rights and wrongs etc. 2006 got into an abusive relationship, moved home etc. on advice of partner changed back to my maiden name, opened fresh basic bank acct (no credit checks apparently) and just ditched the old one and credit card with same bank, gave no forward address. have had no contact since at least 2007 maybe earlier. Now had letter through to current address in my married name from Lowell re I think the credit card as that was the smaller debt saying they bought it in 2012 and can I contact to pay. Presumably if no CCJ it would be statute barred, but how do I find out if I have a CCJ without info being passed on to 3rd parties - my ex did an experian check once and within a week he had debt collectors knocking as he had told experian his old addresses I fail to see how it could not be because they shared this information with others... any help or advice much appreciated... ps I have a catalogue and credit card and mobile phone contract so my rating must be relatively ok?
    Tags: None

Re: how can I find out if I have a CCJ??

Does the letter from Lowell mention having a CCJ? If they did have one they'd likely mention it. However to check you could search on www.trustonline.org.uk/ as you can put in your old name and old address (you could search on anyone) without it linking to you. It does have a fee attached but if you have any CCJ's over 28 days old they should appear on there.

If you ditched everything in 2007 then it is more than likely it is all statute barred now so presumably once you have checked the register you will be wanting to send a 'go away it's statute barred' letter to them.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

thanks for the fast response Amethyst! its a first letter at this address, and its very much a "softly softly" approach in this one, it simply states who they have bought a debt from, how much it is, and it is "their aim to work with me to clear the indebtedness I have with them!" and asks me to call. Im loathe to do anything as it will confirm I am one and the same person as my old married name, which may then mean further chasing on behalf of the bank (I had a credit card, which I think this may relate to, an overdraft and a loan). No mention of CCJs either previous or threatened. Would all 3 debts be statute barred if no CCJ has been brought, or is the overdraft not covered? thanks x

Comment

Possibly all three would be statute barred now. Overdrafts are a little harder to determine exactly when as you tend to just stop using the account rather than closing it, and it takes a number of months to be closed by the bank and considered a debt. There is a fair bit of discussion about the forum regarding stat barring and overdrafts.

If this letter is just an initial 'hello' then I would be inclined to file it away. If they send you a stronger letter indicating they will take court action then you should respond informing them the debt is statute barred, but for now I would leave it alone.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X