• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help with tenant not paying rent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with tenant not paying rent

Hello all

I need some help and advice. I rented my property out to a friend's sister in 2008 as I was moving out of the area and renting somewhere closer to work with my partner. At the time, it was either rent it out quickly or just liaise with the building society to call it quits (a lot was going on in my life at the time).

I never asked for an original deposit as they were friends and I did draw up a AST agreement for 6 months. All went well for about 2 years as she was receiving housing benefit and I got paid regularly.

Payments from then on became irregular and there was always communication to say she would be £50 short this month and could she add it onto next month. Some months it was only half rent paid and she tried to catch up. I accepted this as I thought the net effect over the months would right itself.

Back in December 2012, she was under investigation for fraudulently claiming housing benefit because she hadn't declared her partner living there and her housing benefit stopped, Since then I have never received a full months rent on time and she is permanently in arrears. I have since learned from other friends and family that her spending habits do not reflect this and I am being taken advantage of.

I have said to her that if she does not make an agreed payment by the end of this month that I am happy with and regular payments thereafter she will have to move out.

No, the tricky part. The AST is no longer in existence and by that I mean, I cannot find the original that I signed back in 2012 (a renewal on the original for 6 months) so it has expired and is on a monthly periodic agreement. I doubt she will have a copy and the original electronic version I had was on my computer which was stolen earlier this year so I have no evidence that an AST is in existence. She never paid a deposit and will not have any proof that she paid anything when she moved in.

I have a complete breakdown of all the communication (via FaceBook) of her admissions of not paying the rent and me giving her ample opportunities to pay and I have created a statement for the past 6 months showing all her payments against what she owed.

I have given her the ultimatum that if she doesn't pay by 31st August I will issue her with 8 weeks notice to move out (using a section 21).

Is this the right thing to do? I am worried I haven't got any leverage because I do not have a signed copy of the original AST nor do I suspect her to and in any case it will have expired 2 years ago.

I would be grateful for any advice as I just want my property back so I can decide what to do with it and the fact that I would rather have it empty than pay for her to live in my house!

Thanks

Re: Help with tenant not paying rent

Hi

Not having the original AST just makes this a bit slower, Do you have an accurate rent record. ? Do you have any confirmation of the original rent set ( history of payments would do, if she was paying properly for some time )

How to deal with it. ( i was an agent for many years ),

Immedealy serve her a letter ( recorded delivery ) , expressing here arrears, asking her to notify you within 14 days of her proposals to bring the account up to date.

The next part depends on if she is over ( provable ) 8 week in arrears or over

If so, Add to the letter that if a suitable payment plan and regular full payments are not made, that you will serve an eviction notice. Then just serve her notice in 14 days if she has not made payment plan ( sometime people need a hard shock )

If you would have had the origional paperwork, you could possible have just served an end of period notice ( faster ).

But, evictions arnt that complex to deal with, unless the tenat really fights, most just move.

For future reference. The tenancy packs from staples or office dept are great. scan them when signed and upload to a google accounts
    crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Re: Help with tenant not paying rent

Hi, sorry for not replying sooner, I have been away for the weekend. Thank you for advising me, I will be sending a letter today outlining the 14 days for her to propose bringing the account up to date by 31st August.

Regards - Jon

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X