• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Should the £750 limit for Statutory Demands be increased ?

Collapse
Important !
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should the £750 limit for Statutory Demands be increased ?

Example for a high limit: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=5033894

Comment

Results adjusted to suit both dogtired's and my own change of mind.
      Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

In case anyone needs more examples... http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ebt-1st-Credit
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Nibbler - have you updated your Lowell bankruptcy bar chart recently ? Just wondering out of interest the % of those in the consultation belong to Lowell. Should also look up 1st Credit.

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

As a latecomer to this thread - I voted for £20K. I think that is still very low to ruin someone, to take their home and destroy their future but certainly less unfair than £750, which is widely abused.

Comment

I went for 'same as ROI' which is still above DRO and small claims threshold.

£750 is beyond ridiculous! :rant: :rant: :rant: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

Comment

The other aspect to this - the converse - and I'm not sure of the mechanics of it - is the misuse of the law on bankruptcy by some to get rich (eg Ltd. Co.s that go bust, serially, with the directors not liable, phoenix Co.s etc.).

I don't know whether or not this is open to abuse by individuals in the same vein, or even if the same parameters apply (question to those that do know?)

In any case, I can't see a valid argument against upping the threshold.

Comment

Originally posted by MissFM View Post
                  The other aspect to this - the converse - and I'm not sure of the mechanics of it - is the misuse of the law on bankruptcy by some to get rich (eg Ltd. Co.s that go bust, serially, with the directors not liable, phoenix Co.s etc.).
                  Bankruptcy in the UK only applies to individuals not companies (in the US companies do file for BR). Limited companies get dissolved and the directors are not personally liable for the debts as that's the whole point. As with everything, there are two sides to the story. :decision: It's bad when you are the one who didn't get paid, but the idea is to stimulate entrepreneurship. Without limited companies, a lot of businesses would never have been set up.

As usual, the banks always come up trumps :rant: :rant: because a lot of business overdrafts and loans require a personal guarantee, thus doing away with the 'limited' part of a limited company. Furthermore, such loans and O/Ds are often secured on property owned by the company directors. In many cases, when a company is liquidated, no one gets their money except employees (who can get redundancy and wages from the Insolvency Service, which is fair enough) and the banks, who have personal guarantees and securities. :mad2:

Banks, don't you just love [to hate] them?

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                    Nibbler - have you updated your Lowell bankruptcy bar chart recently ? Just wondering out of interest the % of those in the consultation belong to Lowell. Should also look up 1st Credit.
                    Have a more recent one that that at least I think?

Comment

OK here you go.

BIG CAVEAT -- Based purly on the petitioners name as Lowell. If they have or start using another name to petition under the stats will not be picked up. Don't think they have so far, but I won't guarantee accuracy as I can't say for certain.

Comment

Originally posted by Nibbler View Post
                        OK here you go.

BIG CAVEAT -- Based purly on the petitioners name as Lowell. If they have or start using another name to petition under the stats will not be picked up. Don't think they have so far, but I won't guarantee accuracy as I can't say for certain.

Ahh thank you Nibbler Good to see they aren't actually getting the bankruptcies as often now. Definitely a drop in the quantity of stat demands issues (well that we're seeing on here) since the FCA took over
                        Last edited by Amethyst; 8th August 2014, 08:32:AM. Reason: migraine sorry english
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

I should also note that the above is orders granted by the court.

Does not include cases dismissed etc, and certainly not SDs.

EDIT: Cross posted.
                          Last edited by Nibbler; 8th August 2014, 08:30:AM. Reason: edit

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                            Ahh thank you Nibbler Good to see they aren't actually getting the bankruptcies as often now. Definitely a drop in the quantity of stat demands issues (well that we're seeing on here) since the FCA took over isn't there.
                            Yes, I think the FCA has given a lot of them (DCAs) pause for thought and they are being more restrained.

Comment

Seems to be a clear winner on the creditor bankruptcy petition limit being raised to £15,000 or £15900 (20k Euros)

Any one else wish to vote?
                              #staysafestayhome

Comment

I'd go for £20,000. I'll tell you why later.

A1
                                Seek your own legal advice, I am not trained in legal matters, just give my opinion from my own personal experience.

I am an original Cabot Fan Club member and proud of it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X