• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council Tax Arrears....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Council Tax Arrears....

Yes he has the money, his name is also on the equita letter and is just as liable as I am...

He did not register any of his bank accounts etc at the address so there is no way to trace him, hence them getting me only. I have given the council his contact information.

Very much doubt they have done anything with it.

Comment

Try looking on the electoral register if he is at teh Ltd co address ther . If so pass that in writing to the council and the enforcement officer . Unfortuately you are legally liable for the whole amount .

Comment

How do I check that? I know I am... This law needs to be changed. Very unfair.

Comment

I have paid £500 directly through the council tax website. I have spoken with Capita and they gave me a number of the supposed 'agent' contacted him and he knew nothing about the debt and claimed he does not operate within my postcode.

I really don't want to deal with Capita or any kind of bayliff, am I okay to continue making payments through the council tax website to avoid any enforcement/charges from Capita?

Comment

Hi there ... I retired last year after working 23 years as a council tax enforcement officer. I can only give you my view as to what I would have done here and how the council would have viewed the whole matter.

* If there are two names on the liability order, joint and several liability exists and indeed they can pursue either or both of you in repayment for the whole balance.
            * Councils have to show fair play at the end of the day and should make every attempt to locate the other party. The authority I worked for was very good at this and councils have search methods that work well here. It is useful if you have the other party's full name, date of birth, national insurance number and any other known addresses. Also, does this other party have a regular employment, PAYE, that you can declare? An attachment of earnings can be attempted although the current or last known address is important too to send statutory information to. Even social media can help here sometimes.
            * If I was personally dealing with this, I always promoted a 50/50 split under agreement with both parties in repayment but such things are always liable to breaking down unless you are both committed and show mutual trust.
            * If you remain financially unable to cope with the debt, it is always useful referring to the local Citizens Advice Bureau who will establish contact with the council concerned and try and offer repayment based on your personal ability to afford. No one would expect anything else. Debt of any sort is the norm nowadays and structured repayment at any level should always be considered if it moves the debt forward.

If you let me know the absolute current situation, I'llcome back to you. Please be aware however that even finding an address for the other party does not guarantee any money coming forward and council's are always glad to have one accessible party to 'take the hit'! Sad but true. :tinysmile_cry_t:

Comment

Thanks for your input which is much appreciated..

I have just received this email from the council, can I ask for proof that the other party has been notified?

Dear Mr xxxxx

Thank you for your email attached regarding the liability on your Council Tax account above.

I can confirm that the £500.00 was received on 23rd September 2015 and Equita have been advised of this payment and the remaining balance to the Council is £655.00.

Please contact Equita on 0844 5618807 to make an arrangement to clear the remaining balance and Equita fees.

I can also advise you that Mr xxxxx was sent notification.

If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Service Team on 0208 359 2608.

Yours Sincerely,

xxxxx
              Local Recovery Officer
              Barnet Council

Comment

You can obviously ask, but you have no legal right to insist on seeing this. They are legally entitled to chase you for the full amount. Sorry.

Comment

Hi again Mrvex .....

My view is that council recovery departments tend to work along the line of least resistance and will always push the party they can establish contact with for full payment on the basis of joint and several liability. If the matter is only being dealt with by office attention only ( i.e. no outside officer to do any footwork for them ) then they can simply chase you and not worry about the other party. They can certainly advise that 'Mr XXXXX was sent notification' but did they have a current address as I understand that you don't? I don't believe you can insist on evidence of this nor can you insist they push any harder to get the other party to cough up although you can certainly try. When I worked as an outside recovery officer, I would make personal effort to do this but in your situation, that's not going to happen. The only positive way forward is to find this guy yourself and negotiate shared payment. Can you do that? I know this is soul destroying for you and I have seen so much similar objection over my 23 years doing the job. Have you phones their customer service team to discuss this further and point out there is another liable party on the account and they should have a moral duty to ensure he is enforced against as well? That would be my ploy ...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X