• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

How to Make a County Court Claim....

Collapse
This thread is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Make a County Court Claim....

You can take court action against someone who owes you money and won’t pay. This is known as making a court claim. It can also be known as taking someone to a ‘small claims court’.

It is relatively simple to bring a county court action against someone but you must be aware of the procedures and the potential for having costs awarded against you should you lose or discontinue the claim.

If the claim is not a straightforward 'they owe you money and won't pay it' you should consider speaking with a solicitor or at the very least the Citizens Advice Bureau before bringing the claim.

If the claim is for anything other than money, like an injunction to stop someone doing something, or for things like a child arrangement order, then this guidance is not for you and you should start a thread on the forum before going any further.

• Taking somebody to court is actually quite easy, you go to the MCOL site www.moneyclaim.gov.uk, register as a user and away you go

• Taking someone to court will cost you money, you pay Fees as the Case progresses throught the Court system, the fees vary depending on how much you claim. There is always a risk of having costs awarded against you if you lose, or discontinue the case.

• Taking someone to court will take time, the wheels of due process move slowly, you need to accept this and play the long game.

• The Small Claims process actually works.

So, you are owed money by someone and want to claim it back, how do you go about it?.....
    Attached Files
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps
    Tags: None

Re: How to Make a County Court Claim....

Before you take court action you must contact the claimant and give them the opportunity to sort out the issue before you submit a claim form. This is because of the Courts Rules on PRE-ACTION CONDUCT - you can read about this here

This contact should be in the form of a formal Letter Before Action (LBA) giving them an outline of what you require and when you expect to take the next step. You should give them around 14 days to respond to you.

What Your Letter Before Action Should Include

So for an example

Your name
    Your address
    Your address
    Your postcode

Telephone: Your Telephone
    Email: Your email

Date of Letter

Their name
    Their address
    Their address
    Their postcode

Dear Their name

Outstanding Debt £xxx
    URGENT: NOTICE OF INTENDED LEGAL ACTION

As it has not been possible to resolve this matter amicably despite my best efforts, and in compliance with the Civil Procedure Rules Practice Direction on Pre-Action Conduct I am writing to offer a final opportunity to bring this matter to a close.

Provide a summary of the facts of the dispute

I am claiming the sum of £xxxx state what you want from the party you're claiming from

In order to avoid the consequences of a county court judgment, and/or enforcement proceedings at a future date, you must arrange the immediate payment of the amount outstanding to give details of how and where payment should be made

I can confirm that I would be agreeable to mediation and would consider any other system of Alternative Dispute Resolution in order to avoid the need for this matter to be resolved by the courts and I would invite you to put forward any proposals in this regard.

Please be advised that if we do not receive your response or payment in full by 4pm Friday 16th July 2014 (a date at least 16 days from the date of the letter) court action will be commenced without further notice.

Yours faithfully,

What Happens Next?

Hopefully the person who owes you money will read the letter and pay up promptly, but if not you can start your proceedings at the County Court a couple of weeks later.
    Attached Files
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Re: How to Make a County Court Claim....

Attached Files
      #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X