• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Variations to a will and under 18s

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Variations to a will and under 18s

I am Executor to my late father's will, and also one of the three named beneficiaries (myself and my two brothers). During his lifetime, my father set up a Unit Trust / OEIC, which he intended to be for the benefit of his grandchildren. An equal sum of money was invested for each grandchild when they were born, and on their 18th birthday (or on a later date of their choosing, if they chose to leave the money invested), they could withdraw their proportion of the money (based on how long it had been invested). My father died before any of the grandchildren claimed their share of the fund, although some of them had passed their eighteenth birthdays.

My brothers and I are all agreed that this money should be shared out to the grandchildren, in accordance with their ages, and our intention is to raise a Deed of Variation, as there was nothing written into the will to allow for this. However, what is the position with passing this money on to the grandchildren under 18? Does this need to be done by way of a trust, or can they be given the money directly? The amounts involved are not particularly large (between £200 and £400 each). so to set up trusts for each would probably cost far more than the money they stand to receive.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I understand an Executor is not allowed to claim for his time from the estate. However, my brothers have both suggested I should be rewarded in some way for looking after the Administration, and suggested I put in a "bill" for my time. Would this be allowed if this was covered by the Deed of Variation, signed by the three of us?
    Tags: None

Re: Variations to a will and under 18s

Can I suggest they just give you some money for (your time) when they get their share why does it need to be complicated?

Comment

Yes that's probably an easier way to do it, thanks

Comment

Common sense me thinks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X