• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Entitlement to interest after case started?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entitlement to interest after case started?

Hi all,

I took my insurance company through the small claims after they paid me less than I was told I would receive for a claim (they misadvised me before I took the policy out on the deduction for wear and tear. Luckily i recorded the call). Total claim was for £585 - £500 for the missing money, admin costs chasing it up, unsuccessfully, etc, and £35 in filing fee and £50 interest. This all happened 16 months ago.

They made a partial admission and offered to pay out £380 plus the £35 filing fee. £380 in the right difference that is owed for the under-calculated claim. Total offered is therefore £415.

I emailed several times to state that they also owed me at least £40 in interest and £20 in call costs chasing the money up with them over the 16 months. They have denied this repeatedly, and I have to accept or turn down their offer in two days time..

My question: do they have to pay interest and some admin. costs?
    Last edited by andrew2332; 4th August 2014, 19:09:PM. Reason: Typos
    Tags: None

Re: Entitlement to interest after case started?

You can request interest on any money owed to you.
    It is up to 'small claims' if this is granted.
    The usual rate is about 8%.
    See the link below.

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-...k-out-interest
    “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

Any more advice friends?

Comment

The defendants have made an offer, which seems not to comply with Part 36 rules.
        You can either accept this offer, or make a counter offer.
        You made a counter offer which was declined.
        The ball is back in your court.
        As you have included the interest in your claim, if you accept the defendant's offer I suspect any further claim you make for the interest would be struck out by the court as already having been dealt with within the defendant's offer.
        If you feel strongly that the defendant's offer is insufficient, decline it and continue with the case.

There are costs implications if the court does not award you as much as you have been offered already.

You have to consider not only the strength of your case, but if the little (comparative) extra is worth the anxiety and stress of a court appearance.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X