• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

partner leaving me in Scotland and taking my daughter to england

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• partner leaving me in Scotland and taking my daughter to england

Hi, I am looking for some advice.

Last night my partner and I decided that it would be in both our interests if we were to separate. TBH we have only been together so long due to the fact that we have the most amazingly beautiful 8yo daughter. I could suffer the inadequacies of our relationship for the benefit of my daughter but it would appear she cannot. I can understand this and realise that what must be must be.
    That said in days gone by my partner(who is English) has always said that should this occur she would not go back to England as the way of life where we live now, is vastly improved on where she originated from. I have a few questions that I would like some advice.
    1 can she actually leave with my daughter and take her to England. - The thought of this brings tears to my eyes and fills me with dread as she will be moving back to where she originally came from which is socially backward compared to our current locale.
    2 Having paid all the mortgage, bills, cars, loans, credit cards myself is she entitled to financial remuneration. I am not averse to this however just want to know where I stand. We are not badly off however there is little or no equity in the house as I took over 100% mortgage just to get on the property ladder. In no way am I intending to diminish the fact that she kept a home for us and did all the domestics while I was at work
    3 Has she the right to remain in the property with me having to move out. There is no way we can afford to maintain two houses if I had to rent somewhere.

for info the mortgage, cars and everything else are in my name as she has had a poor credit history in the past. This has never been an issue as she knows that I am a fair guy and would never see my daughter and her struggle. I would also like to add that essentially she is a very good mum and loves our daughter very much,

any advice or info regarding my rights would be greatly received.
    Tags: None

Re: partner leaving me in Scotland and taking my daughter to england

Hi,
    I'm sorry that you and your partner have decided to split up, and I know it isn't easy for either of you, to reach the decisions that are important for you, and especially for your 8 year old daughter.
    From just reading your post, you seem like a very loving and caring father.
    You also appear to show care for your partner, which is to be admired.
    But, sometimes we have to accept the inevitable.
    Partners can split up and still remain the very best of friends.
    But the important thing now, is to make this split as easy as possible for your daughters sake.
    It can be very traumatic for kids.
    Trying to understand why mummy and daddy are not together is very difficult for them
    Sometimes they may even blame themselves.
    It would be better all round if you and your partner can come to a mutual decision on who your daughter will live with and for how long at a time.
    As a father, you would need to support your daughter financially.
    You should try to reach a mutual settlement with your partner as to finances.

This from the Citizens Advice,
    This information applies if you want to split up with someone you're living with. It applies whether you're gay, lesbian or heterosexual. It's not for people who are married or in a civil partnership.
    If you are living with your partner and your relationship ends, you do not have to take any legal action to separate. However, there may be issues about children, housing, property and money to sort out. This can be done either by informal agreement or by making a written separation agreement.
    If you have children, a court can make orders about who the children should live with and have contact with.
    A court can also make an order about rights to stay in your home and selling any jointly-owned property.
    If you are thinking of going to court to sort out disagreements about the children, money or housing, or if domestic abuse is involved, you should consult an experienced adviser, for example, a family law solicitor. Lists of solicitors can be obtained from your local Citizens Advice Bureau. To search for details of your local CAB, including those that can give e-mail advice, click on nearest CAB.

I hope this helps a little.

I
    “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X