• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Marstons want fees on a fine I have paid.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marstons want fees on a fine I have paid.

First of all hi I'm new to this bare with me and thanks in advance for help.

I get a letter from Marstons saying I owe £135 in court fines and their fee of £75. however I had paid the court fine to the court through the online payment system and have proof of payment.

I then get a letter from the court saying they have forwarded the money to Marstons and I still owe £135 in fines. Marston then send a man round to put a letter through my door stating a now owe Marstons £310 if I do not pay they will take goods to the value.

I have paid the fine in full not asked for Marstons involvement or needed it yet they still want fees. this seems unlawful. I have all the proof of payments for my fine. hope you guys can help how do I stop these guys as I have paid the fine. is it lawful to pay fees on a fine I have paid? Thankyou. What should I do now?
    Tags: None

Re: Marstons want fees on a fine I have paid.

You need to give dates, when were you convicted, when were you ordered to pay, when did you pay etc.

Comment

The dates are important if you paid after Marstons were involved fees are payable after all without them would you have paid?

Comment

Tricky situation here.
        If the fine had already gone to the bailiffs, then you should have paid the bailiffs.
        They in turn pay the court, and then deduct their fees.
        That is why the court sent your payment to the bailiffs, so they can do what they were instructed to do by the court warrant.
        Yes technically, you still owe the fine, until the bailiffs send the money to the court.
        Bailiff charges are still payable, unless you paid before they issued the warrant.
        But you would have to prove it..
        I would certainly query the charge of £310.00 as you have made part payment to them, in a roundabout way via the court, of £135.00, leaving just £75.00 in charges owing.
        “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

Hi thanks for the reply they issued a warrant on the 4th of june so they say. I paid on the 7th then on the 9th of june get a letter from Marstons saying I owe £135 fine and £75 their fee. I get a letter from the court on the 11th stating they have paid Marstons £135 and that I still owe the fine even though I have an online receipts showing I've paid the fine in full.
          On the 22nd of July get a letter posted by hand stating I now owe £310 I ring the agent who says it's law I now owe £310 in fees as he has taken £135 from the bill. I ring Marstons head office that say I owe £445 as the court has not sent them£135. the agent says that if I don't pay him fast in full he will come in my house and take goods to the value to sell at auction. I live at home with my elderly parents whom are worried as I am because if i'm not home they will let him in under duress. are these fees lawful as a maybe the £75 which he won't accept but why the other £240 after paying the fine. the court should not of taken payment on this if they had sent it to marstons. help please where do I stand the bully boys want this fee and are saying it will get bigger if I do not help them. he also said nothing personal and he is trying to help me. I don't want to deal with Marstons I've asked if it can go back to court he said no not at this stage the best thing to do is pay him direct so he says. please help. I could pay him but to me seems unlawful to hastle me for fees on a fine I have paid thank you once again. help please.

Comment

I still can't understand the chronology.

Please give details of when the fine was imposed and what the payment terms were.

You must have defaulted on payment in order for the enforcement agents to become involved, from what you say a distress warrant seems to have been issued - fees will be payable.

Comment

First thing to do is contact the court and ask for the date that they sent your payment to Marston Group.
              Once you have established this date, if it is before 22nd July then write to the Marston Group CEO, Mr Gareth Hughes, asking for an explanation as to where the money paid by the court, has disappeared too.
              Here is his email address gareth.hughes@marstongroup.co.uk
              If you send your letter via email, you will have a date and time stamp to prove that you have contacted Marston Group.
              This will clarify any doubt as to what you owe.
              The bailiff fees are payable as you sent payment after the issue of the warrant.
              “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

Cheers for the help I just paid today £310 fees as he said when he turns tomorrow it will be another £115. The poor always get shafted. A weeks wages just for pushing a letter through the door

Comment

Hi,
                  A very expensive lesson my friend.
                  The poor do get shafted, it's why they are poor.
                  Next time, pay the fine......:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Comment

Could have been avoided?

Comment

Yes it could. I know for next time.....cheers should of asked for advice sooner

Comment

Don't blame me the idea of fees is to get you to pay cost 75 quid on first contact pay that or the fees increase If you don't agree with the fees challenge them

Comment

Did you ever receive a request from the Court for you to bring your account up to date? If so there will have been a date on it by when you had to comply.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X