• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help needed with Jacobs Bailifs.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed with Jacobs Bailifs.

Hi Everyone, I have been paying Jacobs Bailifs 58.00 per week to pay of my council tax debt from last year, as far as i was aware the debt was settled i made my last payment directly to the council as they sent me a reminder letter requesting payment for it, I came home from work yesterday to a letter that was hand posted by Luke Farrington who is an enforcement office for Jacobs, advising me i now owe 295.00, i rang Jacobs who advised me i do owe that ammount, i advised them i paid my last 60.00 to the council as they sent me a reminder for it, the agent was not helpful she was constantly saying i must pay, she then said if i have paid 60.00 to the council i would only have to pay 235.00 to cover the cost of the bailif coming to my property. I believe there was no reason for the bailif to attend my property, in total i have paid Jacobs 1,739.19. I have telephoned Salford council who advised my the debt has been settled and it was 1,714.00, she advised me she couldnt help me further as it is Jacob's that have put the extra fee on so it would be them who can sort it for me. I am not getting any help from anywhere and i really dont want to give Jacobs anymore of my hard earned money. Please can you help.

Re: Help needed with Jacobs Bailifs.

Unless Jacobs can justify making the visit, this sounds like a frivolous/vexatious visit simply to garner a fee. And it is the responsibility of the local authority. They hired Jacobs and are 100% legally-liable for their actions. Lodge a formal complaint with the local authority, pointing out their liability for Jacobs' actions.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

I agree with bluebottle on this one.
      Lodge the complaint and ask the council to investigate the £235.00 fee just to deliver a letter.
      “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

Jacobs are chancers and clamp happy, so hide any car out of their way.

Comment

thanks for your comments, i have spoken to the council, who advised they do not have anything to do with Jacob bailiff fees, the bailiff called this morning at 6.55am, very quietly posting his letter through the letter box, I was under the impression he would have to knock on my door so we can discuss this matter, but he just ran back to his car and sped off. He sent me a txt message which said " As it stands today you have been issued a final notice for outstanding council tax, you will need to contact me today to make arraingments to pay this. Failure to do so may result in further actions being taken". I then replied to him advising him I have emailed Jacobs advising them the ammount I owed was 1,714.00 and I have paid 1,739.19 and i would like them to send me any information detailing the breakdown of the cost they say i now owe, as Salford Council have told me i do not owe a penny. I am still awaiting a responce from Jacobs, but i did advise the Bailiff i do want to get this sorted, i advised him i am free to drive to his office where he will have all the information i require to settle this to hand his reply was "The case was issued to me on 24th June. As it stands the balance is outstanding and no cease actions can be put in place unless otherwised requested from our clients the council. Arraingements for payment need to be taken". I am now really stuck as to who i can turn to for help as it seems either company does not know. I dont want the Bailiff to turn up on Monday to take my things when i truely believe i do not owe them a penny. :tinysmile_cry_t:

Comment

Originally posted by maria1985 View Post
            thanks for your comments, i have spoken to the council, who advised they do not have anything to do with Jacob bailiff fees, the bailiff called this morning at 6.55am, very quietly posting his letter through the letter box, I was under the impression he would have to knock on my door so we can discuss this matter, but he just ran back to his car and sped off. He sent me a txt message which said " As it stands today you have been issued a final notice for outstanding council tax, you will need to contact me today to make arraingments to pay this. Failure to do so may result in further actions being taken". I then replied to him advising him I have emailed Jacobs advising them the ammount I owed was 1,714.00 and I have paid 1,739.19 and i would like them to send me any information detailing the breakdown of the cost they say i now owe, as Salford Council have told me i do not owe a penny. I am still awaiting a responce from Jacobs, but i did advise the Bailiff i do want to get this sorted, i advised him i am free to drive to his office where he will have all the information i require to settle this to hand his reply was "The case was issued to me on 24th June. As it stands the balance is outstanding and no cease actions can be put in place unless otherwised requested from our clients the council. Arraingements for payment need to be taken". I am now really stuck as to who i can turn to for help as it seems either company does not know. I dont want the Bailiff to turn up on Monday to take my things when i truely believe i do not owe them a penny. :tinysmile_cry_t:
            I would be inclined to both email and write to the CEO of Salford Council and politely but firmly remind them that -

a. civil enforcement fees are now regulated by law and have been since 6 April 2014; and
            b. Salford City Council is 100% vicariously-liable for the actions of Jacobs and their EAs whilst they are acting on behalf of Salford Council; and
            c. request written confirmation - email and letter - that your Council Tax arrears with Salford City Council are now cleared.

You then forward the confirmation to Jacobs and ask them to explain the actions and claims of their EA, reminding them that the partners and managers have vicarious-liability for the actions of the EA whilst he is acting in their name and, also, on behalf of their client, Salford City Council.

I would make it clear to SCC that time is of the essence.
            Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Maria

Before we go jumping the gun here, a little more information is required.

You appear to have been visited by Jacobs prior to April 6th. Do you remember a bailiff visiting? Did you let her into your home? did you sign any paperwork?

You will not have been charged for this mornings visit, so they are entitled to choose whether they knock the door or not (its just a scare tactic designed to intimidate you)

We need to get a complaint into your CEO asap but we need the full history behind the case.

Comment

Originally posted by The Starving Taxpayer View Post
                Maria

Before we go jumping the gun here, a little more information is required.

You appear to have been visited by Jacobs prior to April 6th. Do you remember a bailiff visiting? Did you let her into your home? did you sign any paperwork?

You will not have been charged for this mornings visit, so they are entitled to choose whether they knock the door or not (its just a scare tactic designed to intimidate you)

We need to get a complaint into your CEO asap but we need the full history behind the case.
                The only time I have been visited by Jacobs was Monday June 21st 2014. A bailiff has never been to my property before then, before this date i was certain I had made all my payments to clear my account I even arrainged with the council to start paying this years council tax on the 01/07/2014 so that i could pay my final payments to Jacobs without not paying this years council tax.

Comment

OK-That's good

So how did Jacobs originally make contact with you and how did you set up the repayment plan?

Did you do all this over the phone?

The reason I'm asking this is because the difference between £1739.19 & £1714 is almost £24.50 which is the fee that used to be charged for a bailiff visiting you.

Comment

this is my council tax account. the 2014 one is this year that i pay via direct debit.
                    2014 £911.17
                    Previous years £0.00

Comment

i recieved a letter from Jacobs asking me to make a payment or set up a payment plan as they had been employed by Salford council to get this debt from me, They insisted i pay 58.00 a week making payment by debit card online or by payment card, i paid both ways depending if the cash was in my purse or in the bank, i have missed two payments which when i got paid i repayed it, i have a letter of Jacobs from January advising me he starting balance of the account with them was 1,714.00, I have always made a payment each week bar the two weeks i was stuck for cash.

Comment

OK-No probs. They do take a small fee for card transactions, so perhaps this would explain the difference.

You need to title your letter to the CEO "Formal Complaint (stage 1)" Also send a copy to Jacobs.

Then outline that you wish to complain about the malpractice carried out by the council & also the actions of its agents.

You have been paying off arrears to Jacobs regarding this account for some time. The council have confirmed that the debt is now settled. (enclose a copy of the account as per post #10).

Jacobs have never visited you under the old Schedule 5 system and have not sent a Notice of Enforcement under the new Schedule 12 procedure (don't worry about these schedules, the council & Jacobs will pick up on them)

They have no right to be charging you for an enforcement fee without first satisfying the compliance stage.

You have emailed Jacobs asking for a breakdown of their fees and you are currently awaiting their response. For transparency, you require the date that any enforcement action incurred a fee, the reason for this fee and the amount of the fee.

As far as you are concerned, this debt is settled. Jacobs have never issued you with any paperwork notifying you of any charges. They cannot simply wait until the debt is settled and then spring extra charges on you that you know nothing about, let alone having had the right to question and/or challenge them.

Ask that all further recovery action is suspended whilst this complaint is investigated.

Comment

I'd agree with that! Excellent post.

Comment

Originally posted by The Starving Taxpayer View Post
                            OK-No probs. They do take a small fee for card transactions, so perhaps this would explain the difference.

You need to title your letter to the CEO "Formal Complaint (stage 1)" Also send a copy to Jacobs.

Then outline that you wish to complain about the malpractice carried out by the council & also the actions of its agents.

You have been paying off arrears to Jacobs regarding this account for some time. The council have confirmed that the debt is now settled. (enclose a copy of the account as per post #10).

Jacobs have never visited you under the old Schedule 5 system and have not sent a Notice of Enforcement under the new Schedule 12 procedure (don't worry about these schedules, the council & Jacobs will pick up on them)

They have no right to be charging you for an enforcement fee without first satisfying the compliance stage.

You have emailed Jacobs asking for a breakdown of their fees and you are currently awaiting their response. For transparency, you require the date that any enforcement action incurred a fee, the reason for this fee and the amount of the fee.

As far as you are concerned, this debt is settled. Jacobs have never issued you with any paperwork notifying you of any charges. They cannot simply wait until the debt is settled and then spring extra charges on you that you know nothing about, let alone having had the right to question and/or challenge them.

Ask that all further recovery action is suspended whilst this complaint is investigated.
                            Thank you very much, you have been very helpful, would you suggest i send a letter or an email, I am worried as it is Friday tomorrow i feel time would be very much against me.

Comment

Do both. I normally write the letter out on a word document & attach it to the mail.

If any bailiff returns, DO NOT, under any circumstances let them in. You are not obliged to do so. Be on your guard, even over the weekend. If you have a car, park it well away for a few days. Just speak through a closed (& locked) door, telling him that the matter is now in dispute and a complaint has gone into the council. You do not wish to discuss this matter further until the complaint investigation is completed. Be firm.

Good luck.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X