• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

i owe hmrc for late tax return fines, help plz

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: i owe hmrc for late tax return fines, help plz

Am thinking they may have changed the rules IsItrequired

Penalties if you miss the tax return deadline

If you miss the deadline, the longer you delay, the more you'll have to pay. So it's important to send your tax return online to HMRC as soon as you can. The table below shows the penalties you'll have to pay if your tax return is late. If a Partnership tax return is late, each partner will have to pay the penalties shown below.
    1 day late A penalty of £100. This applies even if you have no tax to pay or have paid the tax you owe.
    3 months late £10 for each following day - up to a 90 day maximum of £900. This is as well as the fixed penalty above.
    6 months late £300 or 5% of the tax due, whichever is the higher. This is as well as the penalties above.
    12 months late £300 or 5% of the tax due, whichever is the higher.
    In serious cases you may be asked to pay up to 100% of the tax due instead. In some cases the penalties can be even higher than this.
    These are as well as the penalties above.
    Example

Mrs A's tax return is due on 31 January 2015 but HMRC doesn't receive it until 5 August 2015.
    It is over 6 months late so she will have to pay all of the following:
    • £100 fixed penalty
    • £900 penalty - this is £10 each day from 1 May to 29 July, when the maximum 90 day penalty is reached.
    • £300 or 5% of the tax due - whichever is the higher

You may think you have a reasonable excuse for sending your tax return late. You can find out more about reasonable excuses in the 'How to appeal' article (see link below). You don't need to wait until you get a penalty, you should let HMRC know as soon as you can.
    How to appeal against HMRC tax decisions

Comment

I am waiting for my code in the post so I can log in and do my returns. so what shall I do just send a letter with my i.e and go from there. I understand I have to pay it I,m not disputing that. just cannot afford all at one go. I owe 2660.

Comment

I personally would wait till your code comes and fill in the returns, until you have done so the tax office will not know if you owe any tax or not.
        When it is established you do not owe any (and it will tell you when you have filled it in how much you owe) you can then start to either appeal the penalties or offer to pay at an amount you can comfortably afford giving them your ie form as proof of how your finances are at the moment.
        This is only my opinion and you may prefer to take others advice, only you can decide which is the best way forward and the one which will put you most at ease.
        Enaid x

Comment

thank you enaid, will it make a difference if I owe tax or not?? I will still have to pay the fines wont I. I just don't want to wait too long as I don't want them to start proceedings. shall I write to them acknoledgeing the debt and tell them I,m waiting for code to do returns and as soon as I have done that I will get back in touch about paying back the fines ??? what do u think ??

Comment

I just think they have issued the fines purely because you have failed to fill in the forms as was required.
            I would think (and I may be wrong) no matter what you did right now they would still require you to complete the returns. It says it usually takes 7 days for you to receive your code so can't be long off now

Comment

Give the tax office a call and explain you are waiting for your code to complete your tax return, and want to try sort out the fines at least while you wait. Your IE is fine, nothing that stands out other than the Loan payment and that's fine as it isn't a PDL as such.
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

hi amethyst, ok thanks for looking at it........... its an honest i.e form just scared they r gonna want payment straight away, which I haven't got, I don't have any savings and live week by week. do u think if I offer a token payment every month until nov when my loan is finished then can pay them my loan money that would b ok ????? and thanks again for looking at form xxx

Comment

well letter written and sent off with I,e sheet, hopefully get a nice reponse back lol..... got my activation code in the post too so will mainly b spending my day off tomorrow doing my tax returns, get this sorted once and for all..

Comment

In such issues it will be better to talk with HMRC concerned officials and make your picture clear before them. They will certainly help you . One of my friend was also in the same situation and he called at HMRC contact number. They connected his call to the dealing authorities and after proper discussion, they gave him the appointment for personal meeting. On appointed date, he visited HMRC local office with all his papers and cleared all his points . After hearing him with patience, they told him to pay fine within 6 years and the process become easy for him. Source: qwikfix.co.uk/hmrc-contact-number

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X